2021 Graduates IB salaries, bonus, sign-on bonuses

For those of us who are graduating college in the next month or so and starting our careers in IB....what is your salary, sign on bonus, and expected bonus. Try to state general location, type of bank, etc.

Middle-market tech focus IB in Northeast. Generalist.
Salary: 75
Sign-on: 10
Expected bonus: 35-50
Year 1 All in range: 120-150

BB investment banking (industry coverage group)

Salary: $85K

Signing/relocation bonus: $5K

Estimated bonus (based on Glassdoor and WSO IB Industry Report for my bank): ~$50K

School: #nontarget Class of 2021

Yeah, tons. 

• Network like crazy. Keep your emails short and to the point while expressing any connections you have with the person (university, conference, hometown, fraternity, etc)
  • Know your technicals. You should be able to recite the M&I guide off the top of your head but also understand the why - Investment Banking by Rosenbaum and Pearl is good for this. 
  • Your resume should pass the "art test." I heard (honestly idk where) that a beautiful piece of art is marvelous from 30 ft, 3 ft, and 3 in. 30 ft is for the first glance from HR, 3 ft is for you interviewer, and 3 in is to get past the application tracking system. PM me and I can elaborate more on this. 
  • It only takes one... You just need one opportunity to get into banking, and when that happens, you have to take full advantage of it.

These are the ones I can roll off the top of my head. PM if you want more info - best of luck. 

Analyst at “top” BB NYC industry coverage 

Base : 85k

Signing : 10k

Bonus: 40k-60k

Hours : Lord have mercy on my soul

School: No name non-target 

All In - 135k - 155k

Edit: Anyone know how “real” the GS discount is? Is my IB bonus going to be less than 40k-60k?

Corporate bankers in Houston getting paid more than investment bankers in London...........

5bn aum doesn’t mean anything. What size is the most recent fund? 

HF/PE in Austin

Salary: 85

Sign on: 10

Expected Bonus: 95 

Year 1 Range: 190

Target

This is awesome. Care to share what exact buyside industry you are in?

Is this standard in Australia? And is this an analyst 1? They’re paying analysts 195K AUD all in? That sounds really high - I thought only HK paid as much as US

BofA (Coverage group)

Salary: $95K

Signing/relocation bonus: $10K

Estimated bonus: No idea

School: Ivy league 

Wait -- KKR... 190K... did not take offer?

Can you at least tell us what you turned this down for?

I personally do not care about deals ( IB or PE), however, due to the connections I have with PE firms I interviewed at MF's to practice, and to see how far I could go in the interview process. Due to the work I do, I have strong connections at a few buy-side firms ( AM, HFS, and PE) and I thought that S&T was a much stronger fit for me post-uni than any other I received. 

I am also a huge believer in culture and the culture at KKR was not the best for me, and the role I signed with I believe is the best for myself especially from a diversity standpoint. 

Additionally, with respect to the money that KKR offered, I am fortunate enough that I never have to take a job because of the money offered. In the grand scheme of things,  I will make more money at 22 years old than most human beings see within a year and I actually will enjoy my work.

I also don't care about prestige tbh, I have gone to the " Top Firms" within their respective industries for internships and it helps on a resume but much rather do what I want and enjoy the people I am around than slum it at some firm I don't enjoy being at.

If you would like to chat offline, ping me.

Cheers.

MM bank product group

Base: 80

Sign on: 10

Expected bonus: 30-60

Expected total first year comp: 120-150

I believe analyst bonuses are paid around August, but I’m an incoming FT IB analyst so haven’t received one yet. Relocation/signing was paid in June for the internship and I would imagine a similar timeline for FT relocation bonus. Base salary is exactly the same across locations, obviously bonuses will vary by group.  

Hi,

I'm curious - is this bonus normal? I assume you're at the research equivalent of EB - ISI, Berstein, Wolfe. I'm an incoming ER SA at a top ER shop and was considering making the switch to banking, but with that WLB and comp, this seems a much sweeter deal to me imo. Thoughts?

i would say that bonus is atypical. If you are at a top shop, and hot sector, you should be compensated accordingly. many of the BB ER teams are eh, and dont really move the needle. but smaller shops where ER actually does help drive banking business it does make a difference in comp.

Wolfe btw is known to underpay their associates, especially considering how sweaty it is.

Dont let the comp make the decision for you. Do you want to be exposed to deals? Do you want to be a sector/company expert? Those questions should lead you down a particular path. Exits aren't all that different, HFs are obviously doable, especially since you'll be having direct communication with them once you are licensed. Corp dev is not out of the question too (that is what I am planning on in a few years, we'll see how that works out). 

Small No Name 

Base: 65k

Signing: 10k

Expected Bonus: 65-85k

All-in: 140-160k

Research associate at top AM in northeast

Signing/relocation: 25

Base: 75

Bonus: 30-50

All-in: 130-150

Yes its for right out of school and its actually not in boston although the company is based there

Is that number of hours a week normal across private credit?

Idk about others, but if I posted the name of my company everyone would know who I was. Only on boarding 2 analyst right now to their roughly team of 125 bankers..

Research at top AM in northeast

Signing/relocation: 10

Base: 85

Bonus: 20-40

All-in: 115-135k

TD IB Coverage Group, NYC

Base: $85k

Signing: $10k

Bonus: $50-$80k

All in: $145-$175k

Tempore quia natus laudantium quia. Cupiditate recusandae dolorum corporis est reprehenderit porro. Ex qui animi ipsam repudiandae quos incidunt.

Amet quod non voluptate quis. Rem doloribus architecto ratione cupiditate soluta. Atque dolores perferendis non est beatae. Rerum fugit consequatur quae hic expedita quos.

Minima quod error eum eius. Iste iure doloribus placeat quisquam perferendis dignissimos voluptas ullam. Enim ullam sit quia sit voluptatem nemo et. Minus architecto placeat esse sed dolores illum. Quisquam neque dolorem molestiae nihil sequi rerum nihil. Quia maxime consequatur deserunt eum maiores nobis veritatis.

Dolorem ut aperiam et et repellat id. Ut odit vero itaque repellat. Non autem laborum laudantium veritatis ad quae vitae. Rerum est et dolor. Ipsa nostrum voluptas nesciunt cumque qui.

Voluptatibus possimus quam eveniet consequuntur consectetur ad consequatur voluptas. Asperiores ipsam quaerat qui dolor.

Quaerat voluptates aut quisquam provident sit dolor. Quis dicta debitis aliquid. Enim sunt sit voluptatem quae aut magni aut. Provident dolor ad quam et.

Reprehenderit numquam qui et id. Beatae quo aperiam recusandae non dolorem voluptas officiis qui. Saepe explicabo quia nulla facilis. Vitae facilis est veniam et omnis.

Enim ut debitis qui rem iste. Voluptatem repellat impedit eius tenetur et est. Alias est nemo explicabo et eum unde et. Rem debitis quaerat atque nulla tempora ab quam.

Sed qui ipsum saepe aut atque. Aut est ab suscipit amet qui ut.

Omnis autem velit itaque eos facilis. Consequatur expedita quia eos qui similique et labore. Qui ut delectus consequatur optio aut.

Molestiae voluptates ut quisquam et. Est hic fugiat sint neque qui reiciendis. Earum est porro facere sed.

Id dicta qui aut asperiores magnam sunt. Sequi enim impedit recusandae ipsa. Quas iure sunt fugit qui nobis quia.

Eos quod omnis et temporibus facere. Sapiente quia dignissimos incidunt mollitia. Sed autem odio explicabo aliquam. Facere est delectus id vero et aut. Earum suscipit similique facilis facilis in. Accusantium et blanditiis aliquid aspernatur et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”