College Transitions updated 2024 IB ranking

College Transitions has updated their 2024 IB rankingAdjusted for undergraduate enrollment
The top 25 looks like....
1. Upenn
2. Harvard
3. Columbia
4. U Chicago
5. Williams
6. Dartmouth
7. Georgetown
8. Yale
9. Middlebury
10. Princeton
11. Duke
12. Claremont Mckenna
13. Amherst
14. Notre Dame
15. Cornell
16. Washington and Lee
17. Brown
18. Emory
19. Northwestern
20. Bowdoin
21. Stanford
22. Boston College
23. Vandy
24. Swarthmore
25. MIT
Thoughts?

Holy LAC circlejerk. Williams, Middlebury, CMC, and Amherst are all semi-targets and not targets. W&L, Bowodin, and Swarthmore are low semi-targets at best with Bowdoin prob being the best of the lot due to their affiliation with the NESCACs and generally being thought of as being just the tier below W/A alongside Middlebury.Their per capita numbers look good b/c they have so few students, and many nepotism hires(not that there are no non-nepotism hires, but the nepotism hires make up a higher percentage of total hires).

Less competitive, I would go there over any Ivy aside from HYP or Dartmouth.

While I believe the math is accurate, I do think that adjusting by undergraduate population will always create a flawed ranking because it fails to account for student interest and school prestige. Claremont McKenna College, Amherst, and Notre Dame over Cornell? Washington and Lee over Brown, Northwestern, and Emory? Bowdoin over Stanford? It also undersells places like UMich Ross, NYU Stern, and UVA McIntire, which do place well, albeit, somewhat more competitively, but are sold short because the schools surrounding them are massive.

From what I have seen, Michigan places very strongly because in the aggregate, they are a highly regarded school, and their alumni network is larger and heavily concentrated in NYC. I do agree that if someone has a more prestigious option (Ivies, Duke, Stanford, etc.), then that’s the way to go, but I don’t think that placing well from Michigan is as difficult as some people make it out to be. If you were talking about a place like UT-Austin (less prestigious, over 40,000 students, McCombs filled with hardos, etc.), then I’d agree. 

Schools like Cornell and Princeton have tons of people going into tech, whereas some ranked higher schools like Georgetown and Williams basically have no presence into tech. Without knowing the proportion of people going into finance, simply dividing the number with the entire school’s population is misleading. This also explains why Stanford ranks so low here.

Tbf at the LAC's sure there are less kids going into tech but there are also significantly fewer kids even interested in finance broadly speaking. At these LAC's most kids go to grad school or non-profit work or teaching or other jobs that aren't well paying(look at Middlebury's or Willimas average income and job placements for instance and compare it to Cornell, schools like Middlebury simply have less kids interested in the traditional well paying out of undergrad careers. I think it thus balances out except for the fact the LACs are just significantly less competitive. 

If you have less kids grinding for high finance, wouldn’t that mean your school like Williams/Middlebury have less presence than traditional ivy schools? Doesn’t firm focus on recruiting at places where it knows that produces high quality candidates, and they usually come from a competitive background?

Hi Atlcalling,

You've completely ignored NYU, and you have also completely ignored UT Austin with respect to Texan placements... MIT, Stanford, and Brown certainly DO NOT rank 25, 21, and 17 respectively.

Washington and Lee? Wha... I haven't even heard of this school before, man - you really have a lot of oversight. Please delete the thread as it GENUINELY has no value here.

Thanks.

Ah finally. I’ve been waiting for an updated 2024 ranking for a long time. Could you please now do the same for investment banks? This is exactly what the community needs

Aut quis blanditiis dolore rem. Sint non ex a quis ut odit.

Ab magni totam ea voluptatum dolorem mollitia. Occaecati quod in magnam labore sed rerum ut aliquid. Occaecati ipsa sequi delectus eligendi libero.

Career Advancement Opportunities

June 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners New 98.9%
  • Lazard Freres 01 98.3%
  • Harris Williams & Co. 24 97.7%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 19 99.4%
  • Lazard Freres 06 98.9%
  • JPMorgan Chase 09 98.3%
  • William Blair 03 97.7%
  • Morgan Stanley 04 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.9%
  • Perella Weinberg Partners 18 98.3%
  • Goldman Sachs 16 97.7%
  • Moelis & Company 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (22) $375
  • Associates (94) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (69) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (207) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (152) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”