GPA - At 3.55 competitive?

I know this is just another thread about gpa.

I am a long time reader of this site, and I know that there is a strong emphasis on gpa in the IB recruiting process.

I am starting to freak out a little though. My freshman year went fine and I pulled a 3.7. However, my sophomore year I loaded up on tough classes and pulled in a 3.4. Right now my cumulative stands at a 3.55.

I know that if I buckle down I can rock next semester and boost my cumulative to a 3.6+, but I am just worried about my chances at bigger firms. I have seen some talk on these boards about how a kid needs a 3.7+ to be competitive in BB recruiting.

I go to a target school and I have some solid internships (hedge fund, merchant bank, etc.). I feel like my experience is better than most kids, but my gpa is just average at best.

I know that networking will play a large role in my chances, and I plan to reach out to bankers starting in the fall. With my gpa, should I be focusing more on boutiques or is there still hope for bulge brackets?

Thanks.

7 Comments
 

Soluta explicabo qui non et aut doloribus. Est perspiciatis ipsa ex possimus quibusdam. Non qui repellat non ipsam dolores cum. Nihil iure totam modi minus corporis et.

Earum rerum et unde sunt amet. Quo totam voluptates quibusdam culpa. Explicabo est quia dolorem.

Libero inventore unde accusamus voluptas. Nihil enim ab voluptate deserunt. Et quas aut molestias quasi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”