Most Helpful

Started my career there so can provide some insight.

Culture - very hard-working, very nerdy, intense, yet also distinctly less "Wall Street." Everyone there from the juniors to the seniors have a genuine passion for the tech industry, and it reflects in the day-to-day bullpen conversations and more "intellectual" culture there. The seniors expect a lot out of the juniors, so juniors get worked very hard, but the seniors aren't very toxic and compensate the juniors accordingly.

Dealflow - Still arguably the best place to be at if you're interested in Tech M&A - they're the preeminent sell-side advisors for Silicon Valley CEOs. The founders are starting to retire but the firm has built a very deep bench (also just picked up a couple of seniors from GS this week), and the firm will be fine once Boutros is gone.

Exit Opps: Any door related to tech is open to Qatalyst juniors, whether it's buyside, corpdev, or startups. 

all I know is comp is beyond levels that make sense. Last year Aso1 total comp was 675k, senior associate total comp was 995k. The VPs made 1.5-2.5mil. 

Ive heard that most people still decide to exit so they can pursue what they’re truly passionate about, but have heard the culture is great.

I understand that Qatalyst is probably the most elite shop for tech and I am by no means hating, but I don’t think just anyone would succeed and be happy working there. It seems like a culture where everyone just has to know everything coming in and there is not as much patience for people trying to get acclimated. To preserve anonymity I won’t mention exactly when, but sometime in the last couple years I had the worst experience interviewing there. I get on the phone for my first round and within 15 seconds of exchanging pleasantries I am being drilled by the most unorthodox and unnecessarily complicated technicals I have ever come across. I am familiar with basically all of the questions in the guides, but these questions dig deeper on topics like capitalizing vs expensing software costs, KPI metrics, usage-based pricing vs subscription, NOLs, etc. When I tried reasoning through the answers to some of the technicals, the interviewer would cut me off while I was stumbling through and quickly explain the answer before quickly asking another question. Then after what felt like 15 minutes of that shit I started getting bombarded with all these tech questions like “what is your favorite private company in xyz vertical” … “what is your 2nd favorite?” … “what company should acquire this business?” … “what other buyers would you consider?” … “what are public comps” etc. etc. etc.. Even the behavioral questions were extremely philosophical and required a lot of thinking which obviously I wasn’t given time for. The people I have talked to honestly seem nice and I think they are happy working there, but I just can’t see how any sane person could thrive in this type of environment. I had a few rounds of interviews, all of which were just demoralizing, before getting cut (heard there are 10+ rounds?) and as great as it sounds in theory to work there, I can honestly say I would probably be miserable if the interview process is at all representative of the experience as an analyst.

Ut minus distinctio in aperiam. Aut voluptate quas ipsam eaque. Vel aspernatur voluptas illum impedit. Corporis dolorem nihil sed quia.

Voluptatem rerum dolorem et itaque officia eos vel. Quasi nam quod omnis molestiae. Consequatur et aut qui non. Asperiores esse impedit culpa error voluptatem nostrum eligendi.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”