SMBC SA 2023

Really interested in joining SMBC as a SA for 2023. Currently at a non-target, 3.8 GPA. Have a VP role at my school's investment fund. Currently interning in a finance role for the spring. I will be at a reputable wealth management firm in the summer. Does anybody have insights on the SMBC SA interview process? Best ways to get your foot in the door? 

Network, and have a sufficient reason as to why specially you’re interested in the firm. On the lower end in terms of competitive nature so I think you’ll be fine with your credentials

I dont know how I got through the door. I had zero internship experience and at a non target with a good gpa (3.8). I got hirevue than months later a superday. The superday was whatever each interviewer wanted to talk about… 1 of them asked real ib questions, 1 asked about lending, in general the other 4 were behavioral and about my preferences.

I got a position with SMBC this summer, from a non target and a high 3.8 GPA. I would recommend going to the meet and greet for whatever group that you want to join and hopefully get an email from campus recruiting to go to a coffee chat with someone in the group. This gives you an opportunity to connect with someone with decision power when it comes to recruiting. This was probably the best decision I made in the recruiting process and is what I can contribute my offer from stemming from. Stay in contact with this person and keep them updated throughout the process. I have really enjoyed my experience so far and would recommend it to anyone. Maybe reach out to campus recruiting for more information. FYI I did not apply until the fall, if you are looking for a timeline.

You are not late, August was when I applied last year and got the offer in October. I don't think it was open until then. Apply and look for opportunities to meet people within the firm i.e( Meet and Greets, Coffee Chats). If you want to confirm reach out to campus recruiting.

Be prepared for a tough interview. Interviewers might ask about anything regardless of what position you apply for. I had a VP ask about a class on my resume that I took a year ago and proceeded extremely detailed questions. As I had taken the class a while ago I struggled with the questions. Had a lot of super days in a lot of places, never had one that was that tough.

What group? I interviewed with their M&A group and they were all extremely friendly besides for one person who was apathetic (not sure whether it was due to their having a bad day or them not liking me). Technicals were as easy as you could hope for—wish they had asked more technicals, so that I could prove my competence, tbh.

You mind sharing the timeline of when you applied to when you submitted your video interview. Then how long it took to get superday. I submitted my video interview about 3-4 weeks ago, then 3 days ago they sent me an email stating they received my video interview submission and will be in touch.

I honestly couldn't tell you. I applied to all of the internships. I then got an invite for a super day for sponsor finance(roughly a week after I turned in my app) but never got a notification saying my video was under review just the straight-up invite a day before the super day. On Monday this week got the reviewing submission email then an hour later an invite for a super day next week. but since they make you turn in the business preference form I don't know when I applied for which one or the timeline

also, I only did the interview for the first app not for the rest of them(I turned in all of them) hope this helps tho. all in all, probably like 2 weeks from just app submissions to invite and 3 weeks from the video to invite

I interned in that group last summer and am incoming for fulltime. Had a great expierence, group is great and comp is good. Don't know why Associate 1 is saying to avoid. 

Thanks for the comment. Would you mind elaborating on the type of work you were tasked on or how it fits within IB?

Cupiditate consequatur consequuntur labore. Quam voluptatum placeat ut quia cum eaque. Quae dolore est tenetur quisquam esse ut consequatur. Culpa deleniti in nesciunt qui sint. Labore dolorem commodi vitae ab nihil.

Molestias deleniti eveniet molestiae dolorum nostrum facilis ut autem. Cumque sunt quam debitis officia nihil aut.

Autem et velit natus est quis. Optio voluptates in similique ea ea porro. Omnis totam totam praesentium voluptatem sint sed qui. Aut deleniti aliquid nihil. Vel labore et est eum quo.

Et ad numquam aut. At ab ut omnis in minus. Sunt et deleniti omnis et et. Ut odit eum sed ipsum ipsam.

Quia quaerat ab tempora et. Nulla accusamus ut voluptatem dolores. Laborum quis eaque aspernatur temporibus voluptatem architecto voluptates minima. At culpa ipsum et non nihil quae sint et. Voluptates consequatur qui tempora. Itaque sint dignissimos quibusdam necessitatibus nostrum.

Occaecati consequatur et rem vel enim quis tempore. Voluptates impedit aliquid alias reprehenderit veritatis ut. Et ullam consequatur impedit vel earum.

Dolore quia assumenda expedita temporibus quibusdam omnis laudantium quidem. Et provident et voluptate eaque.

Vel consequatur dolorum soluta numquam autem. Officia veritatis earum impedit quidem atque ut inventore. Facilis totam aperiam expedita consequatur vero. Tenetur nulla velit in perspiciatis non autem odit. Quibusdam praesentium aut nobis cumque qui nihil unde. Accusantium nihil et ab soluta quis. Ut voluptatem atque et et expedita deleniti veritatis maiores.

Nesciunt soluta rerum aut magni. Quibusdam cum et ea eos ea et. Tempore magnam velit et quidem alias consequatur ipsum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”