Solomon Partners Vs. Wells Fargo SA 2024

Anyone have insight in terms of which firm would be better for SA 2024? Obviously WF is larger and probably does more capital raising than solomon partners. Which would you take? Assuming both are in NY. Any information would be great to hear. FYI, I don't have much interest in REGL which I know is strong at WF. Likely will end up trying to FT recruit for a "better" bank, so not sure if there is any information regarding which would be better in terms of FT recruiting or lateraling later on. Thanks in advance. 

Most Helpful

No problem - to those throwing MS and claiming that WF "blows PJS out of the water" in groups like REGL/Industrials/LevFin/FIG/Energy, would note that with the exception of Industrials (which Solomon only started covering the last year), PJS doesn't even compete in those sectors. Basically the decision comes down to your preference for working at a large commercial bank, with a very strong capital markets and lending platform, and a weaker advisory franchise (which relies heavily on its capital markets product to win business), or a boutique M&A advisor that is very active in the middle-market.

Either way, you'll have no problem moving upstream if you want, but just wanted to highlight its not the most clear-cut decision and a bit of an apples-to-oranges comparison in terms of the experience you'll have at either shop.

Almost 100% Wells Fargo. Solomon has been sliding down the league tables and rankings (#36 on vault) in the past decade fast, while WF is doing the opposite. WF blows PJS out of the water in Industrials and REGL and the only group that is better at PJS is the C&R group. Also, if you want to lateral, WF is the much better brand name.

Wells without a doubt. Take a look at how they've grown over the last few years and the caliber of seniors they've hired. If you're interested in lateraling in the future, you're probably fine either way though.

Important to note that Regal isn't the only strong group at the bank. The other top groups are industrials, FIG, lev fin, and energy. Sponsors and TMT are also on the rise.

Wells. You said you will likely re-recruit and Wells is the bigger brand and it can help you for that.

A lot of people say they will re-recruit and end up not doing it because they end up enjoying their colleagues and build a network within the bank that they know will be beneficial for their development from A2A and beyond. I was one of those people so it's still very important for you to take this decision serious, as I am sure you are. 

So for that reason, I say Wells Fargo. They are crushing it and scored a top 10 finish last year. Also, look at their recent hires to show the commitment to IB. Gudofsky from CS, I'm sure you've seen the Sponsors guy from CS Malcolm Price join, they have a senior that joined from Evercore recently in P&U, MD from Barclays HC, CS FIG head joined, etc. If you go on FactSet and look at league tables this year you'll see they are currently at #9 . If you are leaning Industrials, REGAL, FIG, Sponsors, or even TMT (due to Gudosfky hire), WF is the easy choice. Additionally, they by far have the sickest NYC office. 

Thanks for info, lmk if anyone else has some insights. would be helpful

If you want strictly M&A advisory exposure on lean deal teams, Solomon would probably be the best at giving you that opportunity. If you want to work on a variety of deals that come with being a part of a large commercial bank, then Wells Fargo would probably be better at providing that experience. Of course, if you are interested in a particular industry group, then I’d go for the bank that has the best rep in that area. Both provide good experiences, but they are going to be very different experiences.

I dont see how Solomon has any upside whatsoever if you plan on lateraling anyway. 

Iusto praesentium quaerat est dolorum aut voluptatem itaque non. Accusamus architecto ut nihil et voluptas. Soluta quia consequatur repellendus enim vero rem. Optio harum quidem aut ut eos accusamus aut. Suscipit et voluptatem voluptas consequatur eaque.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”