Top Restructuring Groups 2016

I know this has been discussed before. BX, LAZ and HL lead the pack. Lately, there has been some senior banker musical chairs in the restructuring space and I was wondering how people would rank the tier 2/3 Rx practices at banks.

Rothschild, Jefferies, Greenhill, Evercore, Millstein, Miller Buckfire, Centerview, Moelis, Guggenheim, Imperial Capital, Chanin Capital, GLC, & Ducera(ex-PWP).

Top Restructuring Investment Banks

Restructuring bankers serve troubled businesses that are facing, coping with or recovering from bankruptcy. The AlixiPartners 2017 North American restructuring experts survey reported the following

With nearly half of restructuring experts (49%)
predicting more restructurings in the US in 2017
and 57% anticipating more restructuring activity
globally, 2017 is shaping up to be another busy year
in restructuring. As 2016 proved, the restructuring
industry will be prepared to do its part.

Industries such as Retail and Oil & Gas lead the list of sectors most likely to face distress. So, which banks will companies call upon for restructuring advisory services? Here is the Wall Street Oasis users' favorite ranking.

fratrick.bateman:
  • 1st tier: HL, Lazard, PJT
  • 2nd tier: Evercore, Ducera, Moelis, Millstein, Rothschild
  • 2.5 tier: Centerview, Greenhill, PWP (if they still have any restructuring presence), Guggenheim
  • 3rd tier: Miller Buckfire, Jefferies
  • 4th tier: others (Imperial, GLC, etc.)

Millstein, Evercore, Moelis restructuring have been growing quickly and proving themselves (from a junior perspective) for exits and deal flow.

Ducera has the potential to be top tier but is so new so havent proven themselves in terms of exits and is therefore a bit risky for entry level positions.

Centerview, Greenhill, and PWP(?) still do the occasional deals and not necessarily as strong in restructuring but the generalist program plus the general prestige should be great for any exits offered to 1st/2nd tier (from an exits standpoint alone, they are definitely 2nd tier or above but 2.5 tier due to dealflow).

Miller Buckfire is dying, all senior bankers leaving, and their rainmakers all left for Guggenheim, which in turn has potential to be in 2nd tier. Jefferies is stronger in restructuring than their other groups, but its still MM focused.

The Restructuring Deal Table aligns closely with this opinion. Take a look at the table from

Read More About Restructuring on WSO

I have heard GHL will be pretty much out of the business after losing their cohead to Ducera fwiw.

I would put GS' RR group before a lot of the ones you listed as an entry level job opportunity. Not a traditional restructuring advisory job but places well and does interesting work.

You are not statutorily permitted to advise on a restructuring if you have underwritten for the company in the past 3 (or so) years, so BBs - which all broadly participate in bookrunning, etc - have difficulty (i) being in a position where they are allowed to advise and (ii) even if they are, cannot demonstrate significant credentials / experience

Agree with above, not sure what you're looking at but Rothschild has been all over the place the past couple of years.

Also, hiring volume doesn't necessarily equate to quality. Personally, ive seen Guggenheim on a bunch of pitches but haven't seen them on more than maybe 2-3 major restructurings. (I don't know anything about middle market restructuring so maybe they're better in that space?)

trader_timmy:

Agree with above, not sure what you're looking at but Rothschild has been all over the place the past couple of years.

Also, hiring volume doesn't necessarily equate to quality. Personally, ive seen Guggenheim on a bunch of pitches but haven't seen them on more than maybe 2-3 major restructurings. (I don't know anything about middle market restructuring so maybe they're better in that space?)

Guggenheim has picked up like 6 Rx MDs in the last like 6 months, so it's going to be a pitchmill till they get it off the ground

Buck fire is dead at this point. CV took the founder and his guys... then it's been a slow burn of losing people since. At least one of the new Guggenheim MDs came from backfire

Moelis is also close to burning out. That group is struggling and having a lot of issues internally

Perella is a real up and comer that people are excited about

Lazard is the standard when it comes to RX.. they are the equivalent of GS/MS tech in SF or MS M&A in NY

PJT is doing fine and is finally building out a creditor practice

One of the most difficult things about ranking restructuring groups and activities is that on a lot of transactions, even very large ones, the entire thing can be kept under wraps. Obviously people working on the deal and other insiders in the industry have a good idea about who is doing well in the area and who isn't, but a lot of these firms work on engagements that the public will never know about, or might just hear rumors about.

I know for a fact that several places that are listed as non players or tier 2/3 players by hive mind on this post so far are working on several billion+ restructurings that will probably never be publicly disclosed.

I'm always surprised by the contrast in perception of banks from the college student perspective of WSO and people within the industry; half the time it appears they are polar opposites.

ke18sb:

Exactly. I work at a distressed HF. We hire advisers for groups/committees long before anything is public. I guess the gossip rag debt wire might leak some stuff but that doesn't go into league tables (to my knowledge).

Reorg does quarterly league tables on restructuring deals. That is the most accurate depiction I have ever come across. There was another one but I never felt it was accurate.. The Deal?

mrdraper:

can anyone comment on the same but for London/Europe?

My info is probably dated as I haven't looked into or really talked to anyone in London in a while other than a couple headhunters. I'm prefacing this with "used to be" and headhunter speak

Houlihan "used to be" very strong in London Roth is an English bank so its hard for me to believe they are bad (though headhunters have tried telling me they have fallen off) Someone also tried selling me on Evercore as an up and comer in London Not sure about Moelis or PJT

Still not entirely clear what the difference in work is between what RX consulting firms (Alix/A&M/FTI) do and what RX banks (HLHZ, Lazard, MB etc..) do.

My guess is the consulting firms would be more operationally focused (i.e. operational turnaround, credit facility negotiation, payables, deciding what assets to sell/product lines to divest) where the banks would be more focused on the capital markets and balance sheet aspects (running asset/product line sales, recapitalization, debt to equity swaps etc.) is that the case or is there more overlap?

Sorry don't mean to thread hijack.

The last act is tragic, however happy all the rest of the play is; at the last a little earth is thrown upon our head, and that is the end for ever.

The way I like to explain it:

Rx consulting (Alix/A&M/FTI): Income Statement focus Rx banking (HL/Laz/MB): Balance Sheet focus

Rx consulting is about improving overall profitability of company operations. How to increase revenues, cut costs, etc. Rx banking is about restructuring the balance sheet, specifically how a company is capitalized, to allow the company to continue as a going-concern. How to renegotiate covenants / payment schedules on debt, finding ideal capital structure and sourcing new capital, debt for equity swaps, etc. There is some overlap (i.e. how much a company is levered-B/S, estimating mandatory interest payment capacity-I/S) but in general the roles are split.

To add in terms of actual work flow. RX consulting (Alix) will be way more in the weeds. It will be looking at very granular financials and for example actually reading/negotiating various contracts/payment schedules, determining the actual required head count, cost benefit analysis of specific projects, etc. Its basically keeping the company alive. RX banking (HL) is more high level conceptual of how a company should be strategically positioned. It's navigating the process, raising money, negotiating with bond holders, equity holders, etc. Really its high level consensus building. The work would be creating various hypothetical structures based on valuation and managing the process.

Best Response

i want to update the tiers based on my opinion:

1st/top tier: HL, Lazard, PJT 2nd tier: Evercore, Ducera, Moelis, Millstein, Rothschild 2.5 tier: Centerview, Greenhill, PWP (if they still have any restructuring presence), Guggenheim 3rd tier: Miller Buckfire, Jefferies 4th tier: others (Imperial, GLC, etc.)

Millstein, Evercore, Moelis restructuring have been growing quickly and proving themselves (from a junior perspective) for exits and deal flow.

Ducera has the potential to be top tier but is so new so havent proven themselves in terms of exits and is therefore a bit risky for entry level positions.

Centerview, Greenhill, and PWP(?) still do the occasional deals and not necessarily as strong in restructuring but the generalist program plus the general prestige should be great for any exits offered to 1st/2nd tier (from an exits standpoint alone, they are definitely 2nd tier or above but 2.5 tier due to dealflow).

Miller Buckfire is dying, all senior bankers leaving, and their rainmakers all left for Guggenheim, which in turn has potential to be in 2nd tier. Jefferies is stronger in restructuring than their other groups, but its still MM focused.

Dolor et sed velit harum eum est. Libero facere minus dolores aut. Accusamus qui atque vitae consequatur natus ab. Rem quae accusantium ducimus impedit. Aliquid consequuntur eligendi quas doloribus quis. Sit eos exercitationem non pariatur.

Eum aut dolores et perferendis ut. Sed accusantium ut sint quia quas perferendis. Ea et quasi repellat dolore. In aperiam deleniti dolor nobis quis. Voluptates doloribus corrupti ex magnam.

Rem sed eos occaecati quibusdam. Voluptatem voluptas unde iusto non recusandae.

Molestiae minima quis magnam facilis harum unde blanditiis. Veniam ut et culpa vero. Quo ab repudiandae veniam velit incidunt minus voluptatem.

Repellat distinctio amet corporis necessitatibus. Exercitationem reiciendis molestiae quae officiis. Aut est distinctio harum ipsam. Quia et qui eos accusamus ipsum. Necessitatibus laborum dolor nemo dolore voluptatibus sequi.

Voluptas velit est iure qui debitis iure eligendi alias. Voluptatem quia aliquam qui voluptatem dolor esse. Distinctio quia ab nesciunt optio omnis.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”