GPA: 3.7 with a 'W' or a 3.55 without one?

Hey guys,

So I'm considering dropping a class that has the potential to mess up my GPA pretty bad. [It's an advanced physics course not even required for my major btw.] Should I drop it and keep my GPA decent, i.e somewhere between. 3.65 and 3.75 or keep it, avoid the 'W', and end up with a 3.55-ish?

Would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks in advance.

19 Comments
 

I agree with above, but it also depends on whether you're going to grad school (MSF, MBA, etc) because they will certainly look at the transcript quite meticulously.

I just wanna point out that it's not completely harmless to have a W...

 
shykidI agree with above, but it also depends on whether you're going to grad school (MSF, MBA, etc) because they will certainly look at the transcript quite meticulously.

Yep. MBA, hopefully. That's what has me worried.

 
KKSDon't you go to a target? I think that and your GPA would speak louder than a "W".

Thanks for the advice. That's what I was thinking. It's just my advisor scared the hel out of my by saying grad schools "very much look down upon a Withdraw." And, yeah. A mid-Ivy.

 

My school says that a W on my transcript after a certain date is the same thing as an F. Do banks go by school policy?

Competition is a sin. -John D. Rockefeller
 
Hooked on LEAPSMy school says that a W on my transcript after a certain date is the same thing as an F. Do banks go by school policy?

No clue. It won't affect my GPA though.

 
Hooked on LEAPS

My school says that a W on my transcript after a certain date is the same thing as an F. Do banks go by school policy?

That's bizarre.

FWIW, I have 3 Ws on my transcript!! I took an extra class almost every semester, usually a challenging one in math or some subject unrelated to my majors, and would waive it if it threatened my GPA or I was too busy. I still graduated with more credits than necessary and it never hurt me.

 

One 'W' isn't that big of a deal.

"For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
 

Take the W. FYI most schools have two types of withdrawals a W and a WF (withdrawn failing). The latter could effect your GPA but depends on when you dropped it and your school's policies.

Sidenote: Worst mistake I made in college was listening to an advisor. I could have graduated almost 18 months sooner if I hadn't.

If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses - Henry Ford
 

Eum dicta numquam sit qui ratione. Dignissimos et tenetur porro minus. Placeat ex voluptas est voluptas. Nemo sed nisi veniam. Illum fugiat consequatur ratione quasi amet est ratione. Est ut libero voluptas vel animi.

Quae sed officia eveniet est id. Sunt corporis nemo exercitationem autem facilis eos possimus.

Perferendis cupiditate dolorem blanditiis totam reiciendis. Atque officiis totam quam omnis. Ducimus laudantium quo ipsa ipsum. Consequuntur ad rerum deleniti. Omnis quas dignissimos in. Alias architecto voluptatibus et deserunt aut iste voluptas. Fugit fuga recusandae molestiae dolor veniam omnis eveniet ut.

XX

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”