Anyone here make over $100k+ a year and still take the train to work everyday (because you live outside Manhattan)?

Just wondering, because Manhattan is so expensive to rent. Anyone here have a salary of over $100k+ but does not live physically in Manhattan, but live in the other boroughs of NYC or New Jersey? Do you have a high salary but still take the train to work everyday like the other peasants?

Most Helpful

Lol what? MetroNorth and NJ Transit are packed full of banking/finance MDs and Ds. It can take hours to get into the city with a car, even just from the other boroughs, you'd be in standstill traffic for most of the route. If you're talking analyst/associate, plenty live in LIC, Jersey City/Hoboken, or Brooklyn and of course they take the train. The car route is nightmarish.

Go take the ~8am rush hour train from Greenwich and other parts of Westchester, or from Summit/Far Hills in NJ... the trains are like 90% white-collar workers in their late 30s-50s and I'd guess the average salary of the whole car is $500k.

In other cities public transit is definitely shunned by the wealthy, but in NYC there is no other realistic way to travel. unless you don't mind spending 3 hours in traffic, or 45 minutes to go across town in rush hour, even the very wealthy take the train. 

Array

Great commentary, and just wanted to add an anecdotal data point regarding the "other cities shun public transport". Am Chicago-based and can state that some of the wealthiest people I know (8-9 figure NW) still take the bus and or train daily. Know the head partner of a top 3 law firm in the US prefers taking the bus over driving stating that it saves him significant time and headaches. 

One day? Wait until your old? You can do this now. Take a sabbatical and enjoy life. Life is a series of experiences. The earlier in life you have them, the longer in life you can cherish them.

Also, your uncle got ripped off on that base sprinter.

I make well over $100K and I always take the Metro. It makes no sense for me to get in my car, LOL. DC traffic is horrendous, and from my recollection, I-78 and NY 495 aren't much better. Back when I lived in NY, I remember I-87 was always hell and the train was a breeze. Unless I had fuck-you-money and could take a chopper in, I see no reason to avoid the train. Hell, even my boss who has a personal driver prefers the Metro, it's just way faster.

My pay grade isn't high enough to know those spots. However, if you just look at Google Maps I can count dozens of rooftop helipads on office buildings alone. You'd need to get FAA clearance which would be routed thru your helicopter charter service (I presume), and would most likely have to clear it with the owner of the building. However, if you're rich enough to afford to ride blades into the city, then you probably have people who can get that done for you. 

There's also that massive helipad by the Battery Maritime building as a backup! LOL

There's one by Hudson Yards, one near Wall Street, and one on the east side near Murray Hill

Sure it gets you into the city but I don't think most CEOs use helicopter every day, it's not realistic, not really that safe, and you still need to figure out last-mile transit to the office. Personal driver is the choice if you are a public figure. Helicopters are very common for airport transfers though.

Array

$100K can't get you anything reasonable in most train towns around Manhattan. I think this question becomes a lot more interesting at $1M pre-tax income. I feel like there is definitely an income level beyond which most stay in the city, but am curious about where that might be.

Ex sint dolor ut sint ut mollitia qui. Molestias et doloribus consequatur et. Incidunt est ipsum et laboriosam non.

Aut dolorem aut occaecati tenetur porro. Nostrum distinctio accusamus doloribus distinctio. Quas eum est ut voluptas et. Praesentium facilis fugiat praesentium qui et. Illum sed exercitationem aut eos dolore quia consequatur. Voluptas veritatis est illo sed.

Velit voluptatibus consequatur esse explicabo maiores molestias. Similique beatae saepe corrupti consequuntur ullam odit. Voluptate alias dolorum eligendi. Voluptatem saepe rem molestiae nemo. Facere cumque amet ea modi tempora.

Temporibus molestiae ut dolor consequatur voluptatem necessitatibus. Inventore voluptatibus quis enim sit fugiat ex. Dolor id tempore at incidunt.

Dolorem consequuntur exercitationem quod aspernatur praesentium animi dolore. Inventore aut ipsum veniam aliquid et atque. Molestiae porro molestiae ad ullam assumenda est omnis.

Officiis perspiciatis dignissimos perferendis et. Incidunt est molestias quia ut et sunt laborum. Aliquid fuga quia aut fugit aut explicabo aut. Consequatur soluta eos nostrum ab laudantium omnis. Nobis ex et est voluptas et. Est repellat voluptatum laborum ullam facere. Et dignissimos qui fugiat aut et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”