COVID - what’s it like in your office these days (Fall 2023)?

Wondering if anyone else has been experiencing a surge in COVID lately. About 75% of my team (including myself) tested positive in the past two weeks and one girl’s aunt is unfortunately hospitalized due to severe cough/breathing issues (she thinks she infected her aunt and feels terrible).

There are people whose partners are immunocompromised, people who go home on the weekends to help care for their grandparents, or perhaps they themselves just went through a major medical procedure. All of these situations warrant COVID testing - even in 2023.

Learn to have empathy. It’ll help your career as you become a people manager. If you got nothing helpful or nice to say, best to stay silent.

Most Helpful

There are people whose partners are immunocompromised, people who go home on the weekends to help care for their grandparents, or perhaps they themselves just went through a major medical procedure. All of these situations warrant COVID testing - even in 2023.

Learn to have empathy. It’ll help your career as you become a people manager. If you got nothing helpful or nice to say, best to stay silent.

Waaaaa anyone disagrees with what I see as reasonable has no empathy 

Smellslikebitch Smelly Bitch Smelly Ass Bitch GIF - Smellslikebitch Smelly Bitch Smelly Ass Bitch GIFs

"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

Yes, people still test even in 2023. I for example see my parents pretty often and they have certain medical conditions: if I’m not feeling well for some reason, then I’d do a COVID test before I visit mom and dad.

Any other questions?

It's basically the flu. The reality everyone lived with normally pre-2020 was that people can get sick with the common cold and because they maintain such poor health they still keel over. It's fall heading into winter so people are generally going to be more sick now that other points during the year. Move on with life.

4 things to know about the spooky C:

1. >75% of people dying in any given country with Covid (fun rabbit hole - get run over by a bus but got the C? Guess what you died of...) are either already above life expectancy or had 4+ co-morbidities (i.e. they're already old and have a weak immune system or just had bad health to begin with)
  2. ~80% of all Covid hospitalizations are morbidly obese people (hit the gym and stop being a fatty)
  3. Vitamin D deficiency is one of the single biggest predictors of severe Covid reaction & death (go outside, get some sun, and touch some grass) 
  4. 100% of people still wearing masks while they sit alone in their cars or who are seriously worried about Covid need to ditch the binky & blanky and grow up
"The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly" - Robert A. Wilson | "If you don't have any enemies in life you have never stood up for anything" - Winston Churchill | "It's a testament to the sheer belligerence of the profession that people would rather argue about the 'risk-adjusted returns' of using inferior tooth cleaning methods." - kellycriterion

Hard to believe it has been 3 years and people are still politicizing covid - covid showed the world how easy it is to turn Americans against each other.

If you’re sick, stay home and try not to infect others like a decent human being, like we did before covid. A bunch of people in my office are sick right now and it’s annoying when some still come in and are coughing all over the place.

My mom just got a booster Covid shot this week.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

Pretty astounding how political and divisive this post got. The original question was fairly innocuous.

Some of the comments in this thread, yall wouldn’t dare say it in-person to your client, your investors, or even internally to colleagues.

Some people still test in 2023. Some people still get their boosters. Live and let live.

Quia qui consequatur similique. Ut qui iusto molestias possimus qui aut. Ipsa velit perspiciatis ea id ab debitis natus voluptatem. Repellendus laboriosam necessitatibus in dolores amet quibusdam rerum. Maiores eos laborum accusamus neque odio ipsum voluptatem. Quia et aut molestias qui minima dolor.

Eos eaque hic nam eveniet. Ad totam nobis non culpa. Nam expedita mollitia consequatur voluptatem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

May 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 04 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (67) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
Kenny_Powers_CFA's picture
Kenny_Powers_CFA
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”