Oscars 2013

I don't know about you guys but I'm a huge movies person. Even though it's the cool thing to hate on Oscars nowadays it is still the most prestigious award (and a pretty big deal) in the circle.

I’ve seen 7 out of the 9 movies so far this year and none have really jumped out at me as clear favorites. (I, however, have NOT seen Lincoln, which was the frontrunner for a long time until Argo came along and steamrolled everyone). Argo, now deemed the favorite to win by pundits, is looking to be the first movie to win Best Picture since “Driving Miss Daisy” in 1989. While I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, I didn’t think it was the best made film out of the bunch. In fact, in terms of filmmaking, Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild were the two best movies in my humble opinion. Zero Dark Thirty was okay in my book, I do think Chastain will walk away with the Oscars.

One movie that I really wanted to love but just couldn’t was Life of Pi. It was a beautiful film and visually orgasmic, with a powerful underlying message, but for the life of me i just found myself bored at times. To sum it up for those who have not seen it (and i do encourage to see it in theater, 3D preferably), it is a bit like Casting Away with a Tiger instead of Wilson.

Now the two blockbusters that were released on Christmas: Django and Les Mis. I don’t think either movie has any chance in hell to win but those were some fun movies. Django Unchained is pure Tarantino (and of course with himself making an absolutely horrendous cameo) and Les Mis featured great performances by Hathaway, Jackman, Redmayne, and my favorite Samantha Barks.

Is anyone doing an Oscars pool this year? Below are my picks for the winners:

Best Picture - Argo
Best Actor - Daniel Day-Lewis (even though I havent seen the film)
Best Actress - Jessica Chastain
Best Supporting Actor - Alan Arkin (no idea here...)
Best Supporting Actress - Amy Adams for the upset
Best Animated - Wreck-It Ralph
Cinematography - Skyfall (One time dammit for Deakins)
Director - Spielberg
Adapted Screenplay - Beasts of the Southern Wild
Original Screenplay - Moonrise Kingdom

West Coast Analyst:
Argo, now deemed the favorite to win by pundits, is looking to be the first movie to win Best Picture since “Driving Miss Daisy” in 1989.
I'm definitely not an expert on the Oscars, but doesn't a movie win 'Best Picture' every year?

SirTradesaLot:
West Coast Analyst:
Argo, now deemed the favorite to win by pundits, is looking to be the first movie to win Best Picture since “Driving Miss Daisy” in 1989.
I'm definitely not an expert on the Oscars, but doesn't a movie win 'Best Picture' every year?

Oops my post got cut off. It was meant to say first movie to win a Best Picture without a nomination for best director.

I thought Argo was brilliant. I might be in the minority, but I was on the edge of my seat the entire movie (despite reading the Wired article beforehand). Affleck really is a gifted director.

P.S.- I f*cked Ben Affleck.

Lincoln was okay. It seemed a little slow and dragged out though. Nevertheless, Daniel Day Lewis did a great job, as well as the rest of the cast. I feel like Life of Pi would win something just because it was so cinematically powerful and unique.

I'm a huge movie fan too. I've seen all the best picture nominees except Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild (which coincidentally we'll be watching in one of my classes sometime in the next few weeks). Django Unchained was probably my favorite movie of the year - it was awesome. Probably won't win anything but damn, it was fun.'

I hope Argo wins. Great movie and brilliantly directed. Lincoln was extremely well-made and well-acted but I wasn't gripped as much as I was by Argo, plus it felt so damn long. Zero Dark Thirty also felt a little too long, Life of Pi will probably win a bunch of technical awards (deservedly so) and Silver Linings Playbook was just a great, feel-good movie.

Best Response

Argo should definitely take down best picture -- I've seen all the movies except Beasts of the Southern Wild, and Argo seems way ahead of the game. Anything that Ben Affleck touches, except for Gigli, turns to gold...the man is a god. No surprise all of the movies he's directed are above 95% on Rotten Tomatoes (or something else ridiculous like that).

Zero Dark Thirty was pretty good, but it definitely dragged out a lot...Chastain killed it though, and I'll be disappointed if Jennifer Lawrence wins, although I did really like Silver Linings Playbook. Speaking of SLP, Bradley Cooper was amazing...DDL is going to take it down with his Honest Abe performance, but I could see Cooper winning if Lincoln didn't exist.

Life of Pi was a really fun and powerful movie. I loved it; it's really beautiful and captivating. Ang Lee rarely disappoints. Hopefully it wins its fair share of technical awards.

EDIT: Altho it's a bit below the radar, Flight was a really solid flick, and Denzel was...well, he was Denzel. Excellent.

Et voluptatem et architecto repellendus iure sit ab. Modi illum fugit beatae necessitatibus est qui aut. Quo commodi nulla dicta voluptatibus reiciendis asperiores nostrum.

Beatae autem nihil repellat perferendis officiis. Tempora veritatis sit enim explicabo.

In commodi cum ducimus. Quo at explicabo aliquid et est consequatur. Et eos ea qui earum. Adipisci cum corrupti harum dolor. Doloremque veritatis non quasi voluptatum vel et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”