WSO Weekly Wrap-Up 03/30 - 04/05

In case you missed them, here's some of last week's most popular topics:

Gas Station, Car Wash, Fast Food - Owning Unsexy Businesses

Most entrepreneurs my age seem to be focused on creating the next amazing app or website, which frankly bores me because I'm not a tech geek.

Wall Street Watches

From Movado to Patek, what's your wrist companion of choice, and at what level is it appropriate to wear?

Would You IPO Yourself for $1

Some guys have trouble figuring out what they're worth from day to day, but for other guys it's easy. One such guy is Mike Merrill, a Portland software customer service rep who actually IPO'd his life at $1 a share back in 2008. He issued 100,000 shares, valuing his life at a nice round $100,000.

Marrying Someone With Debt

Ok, I don't plan on marrying some one with debt. But, suppose acurrent GF has ~50k in loans. And one does not currently have any debt to their name, no CC, no student loans, no car payments, nothing.

How to Wakeup in Mornings

All of monkeys have been talking about working 100 hour weeks. I thought it would be valuable to get information about how you are getting up early in the morning after going to sleep late the previous night.

Is Argentina Heading Towards Another Financial Crisis

All indications appear to be yes.

Advice for Living in NY

Yeah, New York is a different animal. It is pretty fucking gross. Like, really gross.

To All the Colleges that Rejected Me

Like me, millions of high-school seniors with sour grapes are asking themselves this week how they failed to get into the colleges of their dreams. It's simple: For years, they—we—were lied to.

Run for the Hills

Things in Cyprus have started to melt down, despite the relative calm the Cypriots appeared to have embraced early on in their recent banking crisis. The whole scenario is enough to give intelligent savers pause, as it sets the precedent that plain vanilla bank deposits are no longer sacred.

Admit One My HBS Success Story

Since I found out I’d been admitted to HBS in R1, others have asked me how I did it, how I got in. Usually, I say I hit refresh on my application status every 3 seconds until it changed to “admitted”. I hesitate to answer seriously because I don’t want anyone to follow my path as a blueprint for admission.

Interview with 'That Analyst that Joked about Starting His Own Fund'... and Actually Did It

The following is an interview with tt1254, an analyst who quit and started his own fund. He is also available to answer your questions, ask away.

Meritocracy is Not Dead on Wall Street

Meritocracy is not dead yet: Wall Street is a more meritocratic place than most. If you are a young person and you have good ideas, people will often listen to them, if you are in the right role.

10 Tips to Maximize GPA

Thought I’d try and give back to the WSO community by sharing “10 Tips” on how to maximize your undergraduate GPA. I’ve noticed that the phrase “get a high GPA” is mentioned in almost every thread discussing recruitment, getting into banking, how to improve, etc., but there isn’t much discussion regarding how to go about getting a high GPA.

Princeton Mom to all female students: find a husband

I'm sure you guys have heard this story by now of the Mom who wrote a letter advising all women at Princeton to marry their classmates before they graduate.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”