Banks sponsoring international students - 2022 SA

Just finished recruiting for SA 2022 and felt like contributing to this forum. I've seen a lot of BS forums where people are arguing about which banks sponsor.From someone who's just finished recruiting as an international non target here's the list I've compiled. This is straight from HR and is only limited to IB groups.

BBs:
GS
MS (very limited)
CS
BofA
Citi (very limited)
DB

EBs:
EVR
PJT
MoCo
Lazard (some groups only, very limited )

MMs:
Jefferies
HL (very limited)
RBC (very limited)
WB (very limited)
Nomura
Cowen
BNPP
Oppenheimer

Other international banks (not that much presence in M&A):
CIBC
TD Securities
Scotiabank
Rabobank
SocGen

P.S. - pls don't argue about bank specs

This is very accurate. Many other threads are just false info. Would SB if I could

This is accurate. What did you end up securing as an international? Also, which country are you from?

HL Rx is like 20 analysts in total. Sure it’s a top group but pretty disingenuous to consider all of HL an EB imo. Not that is matters

Might be easier for target kids but the overall representation is pretty low imo

can confirm that CVP does not sponsor anymore. Stopped in 2019

This is easily the most accurate list. I’m also an international non diverse that just finished recruiting. I’d add that Barclays is also very limited (NY Only and you need to be a target) and Lazard may have stopped entirely (senior contact).

Agreed. I personally know a couple international kids with F-1 going to Barclays, but that number is extremely limited. Do you think I have a shot at Barclays non-NYC offices if I have really good connections with seniors there?

OP here, I was close to someone higher up in their LA office and he was honest to me and said I’ve got 0 shot due to F1 status so I’d try to look for other places!

did not know Barclays selectively sponsors targets for IB — if you don't mind answering, who did you hear it from (or who I should reach out to confirm) and is a non-HYP ivy considered a target in this case? thanks!

Ivy is target, HYP or not. I’m from a non target state school, so I may not be the best person to answer your Q.

I guess he means that the banks with ‘very limited’ have lower number of international students compared to other banks and they’ll likely only sponsor if a candidate is unusually good compared to other interviewees.

Very good list, but I would add that HL should be divided between RX and M&A. During their presentation I asked and they explicitly said RX takes international while M&A requires them to have STEM OPT. very weird policy but this is how it is 

[Comment removed by mod team]

I just went through the FT process as an international student and wanted to give my 2 cents. 

First of all, an answer to why they don't want to sponsor non-STEM people- it's because you can only apply for the H1B process twice (assuming you are smart and apply before graduating). Since the chance of getting an H1B is about 33%, you can do the math what your chances are if you do not have the STEM extension. Why would they hire you if you are probably going home after 1 year?

As for sponsoring, shoot your shot everywhere. You have no idea who is going to like you. All of these big banks are sponsoring a lot of international kids in tech- which means they have designated departments for sponsoring. Thus, if the right person likes you and pushes for you, you might end up being hired. Just for context- I was hired by a bank that typically does not sponsor and I have spoken to several people that were sponsored by "non-sponsoring banks" (UBS, HW, Guggenheim, RJ, WF, Truist, JPM) in the past year. 

Most Helpful

Dude OP here, thanks for contributing. I completely disagree with your last point.

If a company has a policy and clearly states on their job application that they are not looking for F1 candidates or that the position specifically requires permanent US citizenship, they will dinge you immediately. Or if you somehow move with the process, you’ll get dinged once you get the offer cause they have a policy in place.

The banks you listed did sponsor a while back. So, the people working there might have been sponsored before. International students this year got auto rejected at JPM, UBS, and WF for reference.

IMO it’s stupid to network with a firm that explicitly states they won’t sponsor. You are never going to get bigger than the policies no matter who the fuck you network with.

The only exception might be banks who don’t explicitly state that they don’t sponsor on the job requirements and have historically sponsored less people. These are the firms that I have put in the very limited category.

You essentially have to be really good and well connected to get an offer there. I would only network there if you have a really strong connection working there.

Congrats on the offer btw always love to see a fellow international student crashing the door open.

I completely agree with this. As an international student, recruiting for IB is probably the hardest thing ever, especially if you don't have a STEM major. That being said, I was able to sign with an EB a few weeks ago without a STEM major, and from a non-target and non-diversity background. So it is possible even if you don't have a STEM major, but it's difficult. Apply to and network with whatever bank you can find, and every location, even if it is a regional office. I know people are sometimes deadset on NY, but keep in mind that NY is by far the most competitive. I do disagree with applying to banks that clearly state that they won't take international students, as the chances of this working out are very low. I made this mistake a lot in the beginning. I would network heavily with banks which would eventually turn out to not take international students like WF and others. Really even if you talk to 6+ analysts and associates, or even an MD, I doubt they will change their hiring policies just for an undergraduate intern (unless your uncle or somebody is the MD or something). 

Also, I think some people were wondering if UBS was sponsoring. They probably are because they selected me for a first-round interview for their tech team, knowing that I was an international student. So maybe they are but can't say 100%. 

Hey, I am an international student too and just saw ur comment. What do u mean apply for the H1B process twice? Isn't the first year on the OPT and only after the H1B? Interested to hear your thoughts on this because I was absolutely clueless about the fact that we could apply twice

Nomura is MM dude. Where else do you think it comes? Taken that it does a lot of Japanese deals but has been recently doing a lot of MM stuff in the US and has a big LevFin/Sponsors presence here.

Does Barclays no longer sponsor? Saw their FT application open up.

Does the company need to be e-verified if I'm NOT interested in applying for STEM extension opt but only the regular opt?

Sed maxime excepturi aliquam necessitatibus fugiat rerum. Nobis aperiam enim qui aut sit. Et aut error dolorem et tempore eligendi illum. Eius dolore magni voluptates unde earum.

Consequatur aut praesentium atque at harum quis id. Cupiditate ipsam quis architecto libero est eaque. Possimus quia sapiente eum quia corrupti. Architecto tempora dolore non. Repellat dolorum labore in est. Qui cumque quidem quos sit recusandae error a. Dolores asperiores laudantium officia earum ipsa ipsam dolorem.

Earum corporis ut cumque harum laborum accusamus. Id quis sequi voluptates incidunt possimus. Fugit velit numquam exercitationem optio. Libero ducimus ratione molestiae ut exercitationem.

Veniam illo tempore id et odio explicabo. Veritatis quo ut nostrum voluptas molestiae eius voluptates. Aliquid alias optio consequatur fugiat eum aut. Unde ut labore molestias quo sint. Voluptates consequatur nobis totam odit quasi distinctio veritatis.

Non quo dolores voluptatem et maiores vitae voluptatem. Beatae ullam est quisquam ipsa ipsum non. Atque repudiandae delectus voluptatum eum ipsa facilis. Molestias id quo dolorum blanditiis. Voluptates adipisci soluta quisquam quae. Quae odit praesentium delectus velit sunt. Sapiente quia fugit quasi molestiae.

Aliquam sit fuga ut optio. Sequi temporibus error est qui rerum praesentium. Consequuntur voluptatem non deserunt qui suscipit quia sapiente. Sit exercitationem excepturi qui sint expedita.

Dolor ut ipsum sit cumque voluptatem. Magnam assumenda est qui facere. Reprehenderit quia quod unde officia in qui. Omnis aut et veniam at vel incidunt. Molestias laudantium veniam voluptates ducimus omnis provident ab. Possimus fugit quod aut rem.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”