Physical Commodities Trading 2022 Graduate Program Megathread

With the increased interest in the physical commodities trading industry, it'd be useful to have a mega thread on all the programs and applications..

Last updated : 19-Sep-21

Glencore - Commercial Graduate Program - Open, deadline 31-Oct

Trafigura - Global Graduate Program - Open, deadline 03-Oct

Cargill - European Graduate Program - Open, deadline (?)

Total - Closed

BP - Trading & Shipping Development Program - Open, deadline (?)

RWE - Commercial Graduate Programme - Open, deadline (?)

CCI - Commodities Trading Analyst Graduate Programme - Open, deadline (?)

Shell - Trader Development Programme - ?

Louis Dreyfus Company - Global Graduate Program - October Start, deadline (?)

EDF Trading - Commercial Graduate Program - ?

The above is (as you can see) a work in progress. Please post comments of other programs/expected opening dates/if you know of any progress please comment here we can all consolidate them!

PTP

thanks for that - seems London 2022 applications are still open from their website, do you know otherwise?

Physical Commodities Trading Specific Interview Resources - Use WSO20 for 20% off all products being a WallStreetOasis member

Finished the CCI rotational program in 2020 on the Houston desk. Great base experience into how a phys merchant desk operates. If anyone has any questions, I'm still close with the Houston/Stamford.

Looks like they're hiring a Trade Operations Associate. Very similar responsibilities to the grad program, but looks like they want a few years of experience. 

Most Helpful

My experience is second hand given I'm on the commodity side but dry bulk probably gives you a better macro picture than you would otherwise get.

The industry seems very old school. Even more clubby than commodities, the London shipbroking community is about as old boys club as it gets.

That said working for a principal is probably very fun, especially at the really big guys like Oldendorff or Cargill, or Shell in oil. There was a thread on freight by a guy who said there are two kinds of roles at charterers, ones where you just end up being a pricing input for the traders, and at more agressive firms roles where you really are trading your freight position. The former doesn't sound as interesting but pay might be reasonable for something fairly chill, and those brokers will definitely show you a good time.

Outside of a few select positions I don't think you should pick freight in the hopes of switching to commodities. In commodities that are extremely freight dependent (iron ore, coal, crude, LPG) that might be possible but otherwise I'd say forget about it. I know Shell once advertised the opportunity to move into crude trading from crude freight trading for what it's worth.

Not a ton of roles in commodities I would consider jumping ship for but trading dry bulk for Cargill does sound pretty fun, and chartering at NOCs or supermajors sounds pretty chill (I might be completely wrong).

On the interviewing side, expect to now meet trading employees which will usually range from traders, to risk managers, operators, etc. Unlike the first interviews with HR, the types of questions you'll be getting will be slightly more technical and market related (although you should still prepare for the usual behavioural type questions). 

On the assessment center, unsure as to how they'll look like now with covid but it used to be a 1 to 2 day event with trading simulations, group negotiation exercises, case studies and multiple interviews (not sure whether they do the negotiations/case studies every year). The trading simulations are relatively basic and for the most part, actually a lot of fun (if you do like trading that is). You are trading one product (crude) and will be taking either flat price or time spread positions. Your PnL isn't be the most important factor, how familiar you are with basic trading concepts and how you react in stressful environments are. There's quite a lot of material on the negotiation exercises and case studies online (and on this forum). 

Physical Commodities Trading Specific Interview Resources - Use WSO20 for 20% off all products being a WallStreetOasis member

All CCI superdays should be done by this week. US office

does BP TDP run its recruitment almost exclusively from its pool of summer analysts or is there solid intake from their graduate recruitment?

Can anyone provide some color on the number of SA interns/return rates/FT graduates  

Trader development program applications are being accepted for Houston....been waiting for London application round to open.....does anyone know the dates? I hope i didn't miss the deadline when i was not checking job openings during exams

Maxime repellat repellendus sed iusto. Nesciunt quidem ut in quod. Doloribus et ut voluptas vel consectetur occaecati.

A exercitationem ut et laudantium. Veniam recusandae ab velit libero dolores repellat culpa. Soluta reprehenderit dolor temporibus quidem non. Error nihil autem ut deserunt. Suscipit expedita est distinctio quo sed velit. Et voluptatibus culpa odit voluptates ipsam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”