Tipping MDs 2023

Hi guys. It’s that time of year again. We’ve just got comp paid out and now it’s time to start thinking of the cut that we should pay on to our MDs via the annual tip to thank them for another year of opportunity in this industry!

I know the analyst suggested tip is generally 20% of pre-tax bonus. But what are you guys paying in the VP bracket? I was thinking of lowering the ratio this year to 15% of my gross bonus comp, but want to seek guidance to ensure I’m not off market.

Keen to hear how much y’all are tipping your MDs this yr from a % standpoint.

Is this a real thing in finance? Are people really giving their MD money or they mean the MD is restraining from giving some bonus to the person below them, so them keeping the money is you "tipping " them.

Dang respect bro - maybe I should just pony up 100% of comp this year. I was considering helping my parents fund my brothers college tuition. But you bring up some good points, I think the CEO of my firm is more deserving given all of the value we generate for the economy and the jobs our business creates.

"Well, you know, I was a human being before I became a businessman." -- George Soros

Got 90k post-tax bonus and thinking of giving 15k each to my two MDs, is this in line with everyone else? Can I get away with no tip to SVP?

I really don’t know if this is a joke. Why would I give money I need to survive in this city to my boss making millions for a decade now. No one at my firm gives the MD shit except a nice bottle of wine around the holidays. 

What about the MD's rent/mortgage and car payments? You have to keep in mind that their routine expenses are likely orders of magnitude higher than yours, so they may even be living paycheck to paycheck. As a financially secure individual, it is your duty to help those who are less fortunate than yourself. Especially when your success is only a result of their hard work. This warrants a tip of at least 25% TC. Don't be stingy.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Definitely bro. Even if you only have $50 to your name tell your MD this and offer it to him as part of the tip.

He knows how to leverage that $50 more than you in order to benefit the economy. Classic trickle down economics my guy.

"Well, you know, I was a human being before I became a businessman." -- George Soros

Should I take out some debt to tip my MD more than I'd otherwise be able to? He's been an excellent mentor to me.

Have you heard that parable in the Bible about the woman who had nothing and gave Jesus her last bit of money, versus the rich guy who donated a bunch but was still rich? Guess who’s going to heaven???

IMO your MD will see your contribution as more meaningful than an analyst who only tips 10% of his income.

Really makes you think

Live. Laugh. Leverage.

Okay okay, jokes aside. Is this tipping culture existent in UK/European banking? Or is it just a US thing

Relax, even cultures that share the exact same values could have radically different ways of expressing said values (the anthropologist/historian in me speaking 🙂). So I'm curious about if it exists in London

One of our summer analysts last year didn't contribute to the tip pool for the MDs, he did not get an offer.

Wait I don't know if this post was a troll (please please tell me if it is) but I am a current second year analyst and didn't tip anyone during my first year. I signed a check for 5k (my bonus was only 30k) and dropped it off at my MD's desk this morning, he just called me in and asked why I did that and told me that it's not necessary. He looked extremely baffled during our conversation so I'm not sure if I offended him at all. I took back the check but I'm pretty sure he now thinks I'm some idiot. What should I do??? 

Had an A1 last year tip his MD 10% of Comp. Rationalized it by saying he was afraid layoffs were coming and that he wanted to tuck most of his bonus away in savings.

Let’s just say that act of stinginess got that man a nice job at Panda Express

Does anybody here know what the cap for tips is that is set by compliance? When I was in college and working for the college we couldn’t accept “gifts” (tips) of more than $250. But that was for broke college kids. For finance analysts who have deep pockets it should be around 5-10k right? Obviously you can give more under the table but just want to make sure I’m generous enough but don’t run into issues with compliance.

Array

Is this tipping MDs thing purely in the USA? I’ve never heard of it. It sounds awkward af & a bit like bribery… would it even be allowed?

Next question is, can someone please explain the logistics behind this? Venmo? Bank transfer? How do you get their details? Do you write a card? Do they tip you too for your hard work or nah?

Omnis rem omnis optio quis voluptates qui sit. Labore cumque expedita consequatur possimus et qui quos. Hic eos deserunt dolorem impedit expedita aliquid.

Est ut earum dolorem maiores quo libero. Culpa et sapiente consequuntur quas est. Pariatur ullam et provident eum quaerat quia eaque.

Eum voluptas inventore harum eum omnis magnam. Et voluptatem voluptatem nihil. Sunt eius doloribus fugiat sint nihil porro voluptas et. Voluptates incidunt ut facere quia similique fugiat in. Tempore sint tempore id temporibus. Tempore omnis est amet magni. Et qui ut necessitatibus eligendi et repellendus et.

Iusto voluptas debitis non eligendi natus amet consectetur asperiores. Et error nostrum eos dignissimos eos eius nisi. Nisi omnis ex et. Suscipit ducimus vero odit incidunt nobis eum dolor. Laborum debitis amet iusto nemo sequi dolorem odit accusamus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”