2020 bonuses

Lots of other forums have one, figured might as well do one here.

Base/bonus

Year of experience/seniority

Anything you want to share about fund performance or whatever.

EDIT:

Will update periodically with a summary

200 + 200/next year start
80 + 50/1 year
120 + 180/1 year
250 + 100/1 year, 1/6th stub
125 + 125/2 year
150 + 1500/2 year
125 + 2250/3 year
200 + 250/5 year 
150 + 350/5 year
150 + 400/5 year
150 + 100/?
200 + 500/?

Comments (265)

Dec 23, 2020 - 6:06pm

As a person who decides bonuses, your experience can definitely cap your bonus and set a range, but it's more about your personal contributions.  So either there was a perception that the stuff you worked on was not directly linked to the pnl or your boss is just unfair.

As a rule of thumb I think the buckets are: 300k, 300-500, 500-750, 750-1mm, 1mm, 3mm, 10mm+.  Getting over 1mm basically means formulaic contributions and running strategies that you developed on your own and not firm IP.

So it's worth asking why u were in the bucket u were vs the other guys.

Most Helpful
Dec 23, 2020 - 10:35pm

300: junior analyst couple years at fund with upside. No upside or bad attitude for team and you're out the door.

300-500: either senior quant without direct pnl ties or like 3-5 year experience analyst in normal years and normal contribution. Most are in this bucket.

500-750: Need direct pnl ties.  5y+ average analyst or 3 years in a great year and significant contributions

750-1mm: 5y+ experience significant contributions good year but not direct risk.

1mm: Jr PM with risk in decent year and formulaic payout or experienced analyst in big year

3mm: average tenured PM without scale

10mm+: senior PM with scale and capable of putting up 50mm+ net

That's basically the hierarchy and how to think about it.  Note this is TOTAL COMP, not bonus.

• Associate 3 in HF - EquityHedge
Dec 24, 2020 - 1:55am

Jeez how tf did your team lose 5/6ths of pnl in 4Q? Don't mean it as a knock, just flabbergasted your PM  could do that. Sorry to hear that dude, feel for ya

Dec 24, 2020 - 1:09pm

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more posts like this one. Second to last week in October there was a shift in leadership and there was a big risk-on rotation. The market hit the gas pedal on this in November (what a day 11/9 was, but for obvious reasons). Have had a similar year on the long-only side, we were killing it through September and now we are much more tight with our bench. 

Controversial
  • Associate 2 in PE - LBOs
Dec 24, 2020 - 10:53am

Unemployed 5 years experience

invested own $, made about $1.5mm in gains (good year in the market and growth stonks)

Jan 4, 2021 - 1:04am

Puzzled at the monkey shits - this is such a sick situation if it's true lol. 

• Analyst 1 in HF - Other
Dec 24, 2020 - 1:59pm

Depending on fund size, similar to first year PE associate comp. If you're at a MM you can scale even faster than that but with more risk obviously.

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Dec 24, 2020 - 2:03pm

Thanks for the response. Would ~300-350k be realistic at some of the larger SMs (Lone Pine/Coatue/Tiger)? Also, I've heard hours are almost as long as IB but more stressful because there isn't really downtime. Would you agree on that? 

• Principal in HF - EquityHedge
Dec 24, 2020 - 3:37pm

Analyst 3+ in HF - EquityHedge

125 / >2250

Don't want to give too much away, but I've been at my firm for >3 years now and we had a bit of a breakout year. Not expecting to get close to that number again on any consistent basis. 

Do u work in biotech?

Dec 24, 2020 - 6:03pm

I hope next year will be good. My offer had base of 200, and expected bonus range starting from 100% but who knows if that will happen

Dec 25, 2020 - 2:07am

Well yeah lol unless you're an MD ur always better off at a HF. Although there's much worse job security. I made the jump from IB and I never want to think about IB again. I'm gonna be emailing my former bosses for bitch work slides.

Jan 18, 2021 - 11:30pm

Congrats! Given your non-investment background, how did you go about your search for a firm and/or the best team for you? I'd like to move from a top BB to systematic investing and get good relevant experience, so I want to ensure I'm covering all possible companies with my search. 

• Analyst 1 in IB - Cov
Dec 26, 2020 - 1:16am

Do you regret going directly to HF after 1 year? Similar boat (first year) and want to do HF, not sure about going to PE as a stepping stone. I also haven't closed anything yet from a BB

• Analyst 3+ in HF - EquityHedge
Dec 25, 2020 - 7:09pm

Just based on your comment indicating final amount contingent on December performance, curious if you're coming to that 500-600 based on a formulaic % of sleeve or team PnL? If so, what would that range of payout % roughly look like?

Dec 25, 2020 - 11:05pm

CPAtoIBhopeful

Are most of these people with these big bonuses create code strategies for their funds? End goal is to work at HF but I have no coding experience.

I'm not sure if CPAs usually get hedge fund jobs these days. Maybe non investor positions are possible but I haven't seen any CPAs. But I am in a very particular niche type of a fund.

Dec 28, 2020 - 1:42pm

I don't have my CPA, but I moved from Big4 audit to HF doing fundamental equity L/S. happy to answer questions

Big4 Audit --> TMT L/S

• Intern in ER
Jan 12, 2021 - 6:47pm

Is this just your experience or has it been corroborated by others?

If you don't mind me asking, how did pay scale? What strategy fund are we talking about here?

Dec 27, 2020 - 2:20pm

Tiger grandcub, started a couple months ago. Fund doing well

250 base + got 100 stub for about 1/6th of the year

Hoping this scales up with the full year in 2021...

Are you responsible for pitching your own ideas and is your performance tied to your own p&l? Or do you work under a senior analyst / pm? 

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Jan 15, 2021 - 9:19am

Any idea what you'd expect as a first year analyst in an average year? And by two years experience, do you mean two years at a HF?

• Principal in HF - Event
Jan 15, 2021 - 4:19pm

Anonymous Monkey

1st year analyst at $10bn+ HF 

2 years prior experience

950k all in 

Buddy of mine has a similar profile and did $2.5mm as a second year analyst. 

The best funds pay really well. 

2.5 mm as second year wow!!!
I hope my second year comes anywhere close to that.

• Analyst 2 in PE - LBOs
Dec 20, 2021 - 3:24pm

how are you a principal in HF hoping your "second year" comes close to that...

Mar 11, 2021 - 6:34pm

Iste sunt et qui ab est itaque iusto nam. Exercitationem consequatur et autem earum. Vero magni praesentium accusamus minus enim ut impedit. Corrupti fugiat alias veritatis quaerat et excepturi inventore architecto. Cumque voluptatem qui placeat repellat hic quasi sit non. Consequatur pariatur beatae et aut. Dolore et vitae sint ut.

Quia deserunt illum molestiae est quia ipsa. Optio vel et dignissimos maxime enim repellat asperiores asperiores. Excepturi odit perspiciatis provident nobis. Saepe sint saepe ad nesciunt. Assumenda tenetur vel ab vero voluptas perspiciatis.

Voluptate ex odit autem voluptas porro numquam architecto. Sunt et similique eveniet culpa magnam nisi similique quidem. Consequuntur non reiciendis labore.

Inventore porro ab qui ducimus rem. Aut laborum eius quibusdam dolorem fugit. Et sunt cupiditate est facere velit. Quia cupiditate et ex non. Id sint occaecati perspiciatis autem enim quia laboriosam.

• Analyst 2 in PE - LBOs
Dec 13, 2021 - 8:19pm

Earum quidem corrupti sequi quaerat assumenda delectus. Aut facere quia eius voluptatem labore. Atque magni voluptates corrupti beatae vel enim commodi omnis.

Praesentium quidem ex laboriosam beatae. Sit perferendis sit voluptatem. Nihil vel facere occaecati quis deleniti eveniet dicta. Itaque voluptatem sunt dignissimos eveniet porro quos. Dolorem consectetur magni veritatis provident. Rerum voluptatem dignissimos et ipsa velit. Aut doloribus qui quos earum qui doloremque.

Id et neque deleniti sed. Et consequatur maxime ratione et molestiae velit. Aliquid omnis voluptate et ea ad in sit. Quidem ad quia odit nisi provident sit quasi temporibus. Molestiae odit placeat est soluta alias ipsa. Nam ea maiores et reiciendis ut omnis. Sapiente quo eius earum soluta debitis qui at.

Natus dolor magni quia et laboriosam recusandae delectus. Cupiditate qui eum quis nesciunt. Accusamus fuga velit harum.

• Quant in HF - EquityHedge
Jan 15, 2021 - 9:52am

Mollitia sunt consequatur et cupiditate perferendis quia deserunt. Eveniet quidem vel delectus omnis quae qui. In maiores id magni adipisci voluptatibus facere quo. Dolores debitis ipsum qui iste.

Veritatis sequi ea cupiditate non. Officia consectetur architecto omnis quisquam. Suscipit ut sed omnis voluptates rem.

Ipsam laboriosam atque ipsa illo suscipit. Quae et eaque nulla accusantium esse.

Tenetur sunt doloribus sequi enim rerum deserunt voluptatem. Dolor dolore ullam quo qui tempore aperiam quas. Repudiandae et consequatur repellat eos et debitis cum. Consequatur libero omnis corrupti minima expedita et. Ut et quia hic neque consequatur. Neque voluptatibus neque quaerat provident ad et.

• Research Analyst in HF - EquityHedge
Jan 15, 2021 - 10:04am

Molestiae eveniet ipsum enim. Porro in minus et architecto quam odit repellat temporibus. Labore dignissimos molestiae nulla rerum soluta consequatur. Voluptas tenetur eligendi necessitatibus aperiam ea molestiae autem optio. Dolores qui sit quia doloribus. Autem aut et dolores dolorem consequuntur dolores cum.

Dolores quo aut reiciendis excepturi. Laboriosam sapiente quia vero velit. Ea voluptatem dolor sapiente ex molestiae veritatis. Voluptatem animi dolorum natus omnis a. Sed ducimus quos optio eum unde similique blanditiis. Deserunt sit doloribus voluptatem a. Eos ut consequuntur quo iusto quisquam.

Quibusdam illum voluptatum veritatis voluptate saepe qui. Corrupti suscipit veritatis quis dolores aspernatur qui non aut. Temporibus quia quas laudantium corporis. Laudantium magnam nihil quisquam quia amet veniam.

• Analyst 3+ in HF - Event
Jan 15, 2021 - 1:15pm

Atque possimus libero libero molestiae adipisci eos ea. Et sed alias officia quia sit sunt sequi impedit. Ab odio animi asperiores suscipit. Reiciendis necessitatibus atque quibusdam consequatur harum qui non.

Nesciunt atque velit facilis laudantium distinctio vel et. Voluptas sit alias voluptatem architecto sint distinctio. Reiciendis culpa nihil sit perspiciatis autem vero aut. Temporibus rerum reiciendis illo sunt cumque voluptas. Quisquam rem nihil eos deleniti odio ab maiores.

Et et ea et. Dolor dolorem voluptatem iure deleniti voluptas. Magnam fugit est commodi tenetur illum sapiente quia. Corrupti non dolor minus quos sit a.

Ut temporibus eum aut modi. Aperiam perspiciatis neque qui ut cum qui sint odit. Ipsa aut et et facere voluptas et. Et neque dolores laboriosam autem harum corrupti. Non id quis modi eos blanditiis aut. Architecto soluta est dolorum voluptates delectus eum. Consequatur voluptatum laudantium quibusdam consequuntur cum quaerat.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

January 2022 Hedge Fund

• Portfolio Manager (8) $1,718
  • Vice President (20) $488
  • Director/MD (11) $434
  • NA (5) $306
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (21) $288
  • Manager (4) $282
  • 2nd Year Associate (28) $241
  • Engineer/Quant (53) $237
  • 1st Year Associate (66) $189