2021 On-Cycle Private Equity Recruiting

Given how much of a black box the PE recruiting cycle is, I thought it would be nice to have one thread where users can post regarding updates to the 2021 on-cycle process. For example, if folks could give updates about recent firm events they’ve been to, I know that everybody would appreciate the information.

Region

Hamdesh:
Pace is really picking up seems to be all squished this upcoming week. Any thoughts on being able to study this week and be ready or should one take themselves off on cycle?

Which firms have you heard holding events? I’m aware of TSSP and EPC

Few megafunds, some upper middle market funds and by events I meant coffee chats as well. TPG/Bx/Warburg among mfs i've heard of and there are plenty more that send around invites surprisingly. Large hedge funds slowly kicking off as well

Be ready to go as early as this weekend. Not a guarantee it'll happen but you never know. I've heard from multiple friends and sources that most of the MFs are ready... It'll likely kick off again with a SF-based fund (GG, Thoma Bravo) coming out to NYC on a whim to interview kids, then everyone will go. That's how it happened the past few years. Good luck to those of you about to go through this shit show

Why would I troll about this at 2 AM. A friend of mine got an offer from a firm and that same firm is having interviews tomorrow. Name is good enough that megafunds will follow. Believe me if you want. Idc.

Most Helpful

Some serious advice -- if it's a surprise to you that on-cycle is kicking off, don't go to interviews, don't burn any bridges with head hunters, and don't freak out.

The people who will land jobs in the next couple of days are not surprised. They have multiple touchpoints with the firms launching through coffee chats and cocktail hours, they've been prepping all summer, already met with HHs and are in the absolute best groups on WS. They're also probably not on WSO right now. If this isn't you, that's fine. It wasn't me.

There will be plenty of opportunities to move to the buyside later this year and throughout your careers. You don't need to feel anxiety about locking in an offer for two years from now, three weeks into your first job out of college just because roughly 100 kids will over the next few days.

-- Sincerely,

A second year analyst who watched this circus play out last year, pulled his hair out and was offered interviews with TPG and Apollo 6+ months later... because funds will underhire... because there's risk involved in hiring exclusively applicants who don't yet know how to do the job they're being hired to do.. even if they have otherwise spotless resumes..

Pulling out of oncycle. any tips on how to maintain those bridges so I get interviews and offers at megafunds like you did? When did you start prepping and hitting up headhunters recruiting as a 2nd yr? I am assuming you're at a MF? How did you structure your response to why you didn't go your first year?

TA Associates is doing “coffee chats” for 4 hours where you meet the partners. That’s not a coffee chat anymore. They just don’t want to be the ones who kick it off but they might as well be at this point.

1st Year Analyst in Investment Banking - <span class=keyword_link><a href=/resources/skills/deals/mergers-acquisitions-ma>Mergers and Acquisitions</a></span> :
TA Associates is doing “coffee chats” for 4 hours where you meet the partners. That’s not a coffee chat anymore. They just don’t want to be the ones who kick it off but they might as well be at this point.

Curious to know if any first years were invited. May be that firms are running different “on-cycle” processes for first and second years (ie 2021 start for the former and 2020 start for the latter)?

There are also people (1st years) who are going BACK today for more “coffee chats.”

I know this process gets crazier every year and things change year to year but GOING TO THE FIRM's OFFICE and sitting there for A FEW COFFEE CHATS sounds like an interview to me...

Traditionally, most coffee chats and other 1-1 meetings are not at the firm office - which I believe is to **ENSURE **that no one think it's an interview

A few upper MM names have interview requests out (for interviews tonight) and some other upper MM names will be sending them out tomorrow.

Separately - have heard a few larger names will not go immediately (I think a few publicly have stated this or at least their HR has talked to our HR about this).

Interestingly TA HR has been denying that any recruiting was going on during the day today (to our HR team) so unclear if they're internallytalking to deal teams or how close they are to any process which is going on there.

I was right this whole time lmao. It’s in full swing now. Good luck everyone.

If you are asking this question at this point, chances are, you are not ready. Sorry to break it to you.

If you're a first year analyst and are unsure if you're prepared enough than there's not much upside to going through the on-cycle process this time around. Being able to leave IB after two years instead of three will be meaningless in the long run of your career. Just start prepping and introduce yourself to headhunters after all this dies down.

Given that on-cycle was really early this year and candidates have barely hit the desk for about a month or less, does this mean that potentially more spots will be open during the off-cycle process? I've heard some of the bigger funds were still filling 2020 spots as of a month or two ago.

I am working at the director level in growth capital in Hong Kong, and am looking to move back to SF. Do you guys know of any headhunters that can help connect one with the local PE opportunities? I wish I was in SF /NYC more regularly to be able to network in. But given that this is not feasible, I'm keen to get your advice. TIA

Assuming you're a first year analyst and are not interested in on-cycle 2021 I'd recommend just laying low till this craziness dies down. Spend your time preparing for headhunter introductions and then reach out to them once this process is over. They'll have much more time for you. At that point you can tell them you're interested in off-cycle opportunities and/or participating in next year's 2022 on-cycle process.

Thanks for the advice. How do you best position yourself for HH intros? Would you recommend reaching out the HHs or talk to analysts who has received offers to get a warm intro? Also, I've heard that HHs expect analyst to know/be specific of what kind of opportunities you're looking for (investment strategy, fund size, industry, etc.) Based on your experience, how specific does that need to get?

For people in the Netherlands: the FSA (financial study association) organizes a yearly event for PE named PE cycle. The event takes place in Amsterdam. I've never been there since this year is my final year of my bachelor, but I believe that it is a good event since there are a handful of companies present. Something similar is most likely organized in Rotterdam by the financial student association in Rotterdam (idk what the name is).

Edit: Why is there monkey shit thrown? Not everyone is from the US of the UK

Nulla vero impedit eligendi sit explicabo. Placeat provident aliquid nemo maiores. Ea ut reprehenderit magni et rerum dolor. Eius dolorum dolor ut.

Nobis rerum qui repudiandae est inventore. Natus officiis velit ut et eos nulla rem. Pariatur alias deleniti fugiat a esse.

Repellendus qui voluptatem iste nihil. A quo accusamus velit tempora deleniti voluptatum aspernatur. Nisi maxime repellendus ipsa.

Ad officia repellat ut culpa et incidunt. Quaerat neque expedita quasi nihil quia voluptatum aut adipisci. Expedita sunt unde veritatis ut. Voluptatem necessitatibus ex atque.

Laudantium magnam occaecati occaecati. Qui ex rerum ex esse explicabo. Et porro aut facilis error provident.

Soluta quo praesentium ut autem alias omnis porro. Quasi accusamus cupiditate dolores facilis ut dicta. Cum non minima sed est omnis adipisci sit.

Persistency is Key

Ullam rerum et qui consequatur laudantium dicta qui. Magnam consequatur dignissimos nam dolores perspiciatis possimus ipsa libero. Deleniti labore quidem cumque suscipit labore. Qui non voluptatibus aut modi ut.

Enim optio velit est error sit omnis. Itaque dolor quis sapiente quo rerum. Perferendis corporis sed aliquam iure et. Tempora neque dolores occaecati odit sapiente. Dolores expedita accusantium assumenda quas corrupti.

Et qui libero fugiat mollitia. Ut quia molestiae consequatur similique molestiae nulla.

Eos perferendis est nam quia voluptatem minus voluptates ab. Quaerat est est et quia.

Sit deleniti repellendus dolorem eaque dolore qui. Non ut quasi est molestiae quas aut voluptatum. Vero quam maiores est ut nam. Et minus voluptates blanditiis eligendi tenetur quo.

Nesciunt officia aut adipisci sapiente consectetur. Dignissimos consectetur voluptas vel ducimus a et sapiente. Odit veniam autem quisquam a consectetur ducimus. Iure rerum consequuntur voluptate. Quod necessitatibus eos quos qui doloribus quo odit. Similique officia rerum deserunt qui eos recusandae.

Consequuntur ex nostrum et repellat impedit quis. Voluptates culpa doloremque harum occaecati dolorum.

Explicabo sed sequi laudantium consequuntur ipsum beatae. Quaerat quo repellendus et. Qui dolore exercitationem odio beatae nihil.

Impedit qui illum iste reiciendis dolor consequatur explicabo. Tenetur ad nulla sapiente. Adipisci nam sint laboriosam.

Debitis debitis blanditiis tempora doloribus minus sint. Laborum quo voluptate corrupti aperiam molestias dolore minima. Eius animi minima ut ut. Nobis ut doloribus dolor quod aliquam quia qui aut. Nostrum aspernatur ipsa quod quia error dolorem ducimus quia. A rem vitae veniam molestiae assumenda optio et tempore. Quidem et magnam consequatur quia fugiat ex repellendus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (91) $281
  • 2nd Year Associate (206) $266
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”