Deutsche Bank 2018 --- Top groups, Exit opps, Pay (Bonus)?

How is Deutsche Bank's investment banking division in NYC looking in 2018 and onwards? Specifically looking for data on SA -> FT return offer rate for different groups, exit opps, top groups, and how have the analyst's bonuses been in the last couple of years? Thanks guys

Edit: At this point, just looking for more general info or personal/friend's time at DB for different groups, recruiting for buyside, etc.

@MrK25" Thank you for your insight on DB's future. For someone who is working at an EB as an analyst (looked through your profile), what is your honest opinion on DB in terms of exit opportunities, best groups, deal flow, compensation etc. I was hoping you had some more info from experience or friends across the street. I would really appreciate a brutually honest answer, as I am trying to make a decision for next summer.

Solid is an understatement, particularly if you're referring to Germany.

DB's IBD in Germany is elite.

@buylmt" yes, it is possible to move from NY to Europe and vice versa. This sort of move is common across the European banks... Usually on a rotational basis. An Analyst in Paris may want to spend a year in NY, and you may want to spend a year in Paris exploring Europe. Banks are very good about making rotations like that happen.

Best Response

Congratulations on the offer! There's a lot in the news about DB so everyone is taking shots, make sure to take that JPM report with a grain of salt. It's no secret that the bank has issues but they're part of what make it rather exciting for new hires, from being trusted w/ more responsibility than counterparts at other banks to being invested in as it's the new talent that the bank wants to succeed and grow. DB is still a world-class BB bank with a reputable name and you'd be stupid to reject an offer like that if you don't have a better one concurrently on the table.

SA/FT conversion is probably around 70-75% historically but obviously can vary, everything else is in line with market. Don't obsess over exit opps and all that other stuff. If you're a strong candidate you'll make the leap, and you can always do FT recruiting with this experience if you find DB is not for you.

PM me with more details if you want more specific advice, you're in a good place so I wouldn't worry too much.

EBITDA rules everything around me

Yeah to build on this, had some friends intern at DB last summer. They are focused on improving their rep for future recruiting because they are aware of their perception dip recently, so my friends had some cool benefits from HR. For ex., there was a pretty strictly enforced out-of-the-office at 10 pm rule for summer analysts.....which is pretty sweet. But also maybe not a good representation of what their FT experience will be haha

Thank you so much for all of that info, really appreciate it. Unfourtnately I'm out of PMs for the day. Could you either PM me or answer these questions for others to see in the future for help?

Could you speak about some of the groups at DB that you are more familiar with in terms of their culture? Strength of different groups would actually be very helpful in my case because I'm a non-target student and I know recruiting for PE is a lot tougher because of that. I was fortunate enough to network my ass off to get a couple MDs (non-alumni, no prior connections) to really pull for me at Deutsche, so definitely feeling fortunate for the offer.

And lastly, how has the pay in terms of bonuses been for its analysts in recent years? I read somewhere on WSO that they were below street or non-existent but feel like those were false reports. Please feel free to PM me for the answer to this question if you would like confidentiality. Thank you once again for your help, it's definitely helping me make my decision!

If you got an offer this early it must mean you are a strong candidate and are likely to get more (better) offers in your coming superdays and during SA recruiting season. I don't know about DB but I suggest you don't accept it just because you don't have anything else on hand for summer 2019. It is still very early. Try to leverage it for a better bank or try to get some sort of group specific offer, scholarship, [something to make it worth it].

No worries. LevFin is strong, same with REGL and M&A I guess. If you're interested in pursuing M&A in Germany it's pretty top tier. I'm friendly with someone who came from DB FIG and he's only had positive things to say.

Interesting point to consider: mobility. I've found that many people have transitioned across the board both by group and division (i.e. banking > markets or vice versa, ops>fo, etc), it floors me each time. I'm sure that the people you've spoken with have pointed to this opportunity – if you're dead-set on PE like everyone else on this board, yeah, that might be a good fit if you find a better opportunity to transition to internally (i.e. switching groups or whatever). In all honesty, a strong candidate will make it anywhere they want. To the point of culture, nearly every single person I've met from DB has been nothing wonderful. Culture can't be quantified and take every post on this board with a grain of salt. You have the offer in hand, might make sense to reach out to your MDs and ask if they can help intro/whatever so you can better gauge ahead of placement day what you want exactly based both on the group coverage and the people involved.

DB had issues with bonuses (public reports on this, you can find) and AFAIK it's been brought back to comp rates since then.

EBITDA rules everything around me

Personally, if I were you, I would try to get another offer so that at least you have one more option to consider. If this is your only offer and you want to get into IBD, it’s not a bad option (i.e., it’s the only option you got...). If I had other offers, would I accept an offer from DB? Most likely not - I would advise against it.

Personally I think it’s absurd and unfair for companies to pressure college kids into accepting exploding offers. it’s the reality of the recruiting game and I get why they do it...but it’s really not fair.

One potentially controversial way you can go about doing is the following: (1) Accept DB offer (2) Interview with other banks (3) if you get better offers, accept that other offer (4) Back away from DB

Look out for yourself - it’s not fair for these banks to be pressuring kids into accepting offers this way

I would, in most cases, advise against doing it this way though.

Alternatively: (1) go with DB (2) Get a return FT offer (3) leverage that to get other FT offers

Et dolores expedita eligendi ullam. Blanditiis cupiditate voluptates ratione labore ex.

Et dolorem optio quisquam cum ad laboriosam. Consequatur quod reprehenderit rerum nemo. Pariatur sequi neque atque quasi temporibus mollitia. Eius ipsum soluta deleniti accusantium et magni.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”