Most Helpful

HL is easily one of the most underrated banks on Wall Street. Insanely good RX group that’s often considered the best creditor side advisor on the street. In their corporate finance division, some of the top groups are Industrials, CFR, and Business Services. Full disclosure, while the industrial group has solid deal flow and is great for going the PE route, it can be pretty sweaty at times. On the bright side, they’re on the same floor as the TMT group and they just worked on a deal for Sports Illustrated. In terms of exits a lot of the RX bankers go the distressed PE/HF route, but regularly place at MFs as well. Corporate finance bankers tend to go vanilla MM PE firms, but you have a few go into HFs or the entrepreneurship route. A couple ex-HL bankers actually started Suited, an AI powered recruiting network (www.wellsuited.com). Their corporate partners include: HL, PJT, Lazard, and a few others.

In terms of culture, I won’t give the usual bs answer. In complete honesty, culture at HL (like every other bank) is 100% group dependent. In general though, people tend to be happy (as much as you can be in banking) with the work environment and respectful of their peers. A bunch of really smart guys and gals there, but those hooligans also know how to have a good time. Sure, HL doesn’t have the name recognition of a Goldman or JPM, but if you’re looking for a solid IB experience, with the opportunity to actually learn by working on deals and not just pitching, be surrounded by solid people, and have buyside exit opportunities, I’d say Houlihan Lokey is a great place to consider.

Yeah, for some reason they call all their roles like "financial analyst" like "Summer Restructuring Financial Analyst" a little weird honestly why they don't put IB in their titles.

Funniest

Strong MM second to only Jefferies but still weaker than all the BBs. RX is an entirely different story and they shouldn't be compared. RX group is one of the strongest on the entire street. Fun Fact: despite being on the same floor as other HL groups,they even have a higher seamless budget. That should tell you something right there lol

Arguably better than UBS in most verticals and DB in 1-2

Heard that the average tenure of an analyst is like 6 months because the culture isn't great. But that might be specific to M&A only. Also PJT have usurped their London office space.

One kid I know, brilliant, very high GPA, knew technicals better than everyone got rejected from a ton of firms. Knew a few people that interviewed him, and they all said he was boring/socially awkward. Ended up at HL

Worked with them on a debt placement when I was in banking (they were advising the sponsor on the debt financing for the deal and my bank was M&A advisor on the deal) and went to their offices for the lender presentations. Was very impressed withe quality of their MDs and as someone on the buyside, I'd be happy to work with them again. Understand everyone worships their RX group but I have to reiterate how impressive the senior team I worked with was

Very new group - exclusively focused on E&P restructurings to my knowledge. Been on energy restructurings with NY and Dallas HL offices on the other side, so really not sure how deal flow is split between the offices, but I'd imagine the more technically intensive debtor sides are run out of Houston.

Obviously with HL FRG's rep, its a solid option, but I would probably choose a more established EB over it.

Read from some other online posts that HL's comps/bonuses for CorpFin and other non-RX groups are actually significantly lower than regular IBD (closer to management consulting compseven) Can someone shed some light on this?

Array

Just gave analysts a 5k base pay raise + protected 24hr on weekends + 10 vacation days which is lovely

Just gave analysts a 5k base pay raise + protected 24hr on weekends + 10 vacation days which is lovely

Did you see that on Insta? 

HL ATL has a good business services group and some advisory services. Small office though. 

I would only work at HL for their restructuring platform. RX at HL is practically a different company and the sr ppl are better. Every other group is not leading and some offices have nepotism. Rx is only located in LA, NYC + Minneapolis I believe

Don't think Miami is that big an office rn - might hire local students and are trying to build it out more.

HL vs. CS/UBS/RBC vs. Jefferies? In the lateral process with all 3, and it's for their coverage groups

I'm coming from a mid-BB DCM - trying to move internally as well but much tougher said than done lol

In my humble opinion. I could be very wrong and out of touch with reality but some thoughts to hopefully help:

HL - low-key (lol pun without intending), smart people  can be intense place at times

CS - euro bank but with first Boston legacy  nice smart people  can do big deals for sure  not sure how big in us mm they are though because prob uses balance sheet heavily in Us business but idk for sure

UBS - maybe like a cooler version of CS, a little more euro  maybe more wealth focused but idk

rbc - Canadian? I think big in tech and solid for sure quality, nice people  also smart for sure like any bank

jefferies - kinda feels like a frat house sometimes  obv smart good people as a bank  has a distinct, confident culture  def can be a powerhouse but can also be just kinda Jefferies and drums to it’s own beat maybe as opposed to maybe joining in the broader industry  I think they may take different views on Dodd-Frank and their regulatory requirements than the other BB’s which kinda keeps jefferies as a MM but with like a BB type Balance sheet

all seem like solid options  obv this is just some info to help in your process. Good luck!!!! Congrats on getting that far  wishing you the best 

If you got nice DCM exp which sounds like you do, I would think HL might be recruiting you hard hopefully. When I was last there in 2019 some of the strategic focus / growth for the firm was bulking up its cap markets capabilities. Sounds like you may be a great addition to the firm! But idk so much. Haha not my decision. Good luck either way. Always nice to have more people join the HL alumni network or the like

Didn’t they already up to match street? Did Piper and Baird lift salaries even higher? If so, I would think HL and the other banks may decide to lift again to match or beat unless they want to start taking the GS discount view…. I’m not running these places but just some questions / thoughts. Also curious as well. Maybe I should try to ask some of the current employees there for you if I can?

HL's current tech team is still very weak. I interned at GCA last summer, and while GCA has solid MM tech deal-flow and my former co-workers at GCA are relatively optimistic about the acquisition they still have little information on the integration efforts post-acquisition, and there's always some concern about turnover during an acquisition.

HL really needs to fix its nepotism tho if it cares about its rep.. not sure why a MD can hire his son that don't even know what a DCF is 

In terms of nepotism? Can't say exactly bc I have not worked everywhere. But at HL there at a handful of MDs who hire relatives/kids/family friends who are incompetent and everyone knows 

How’s the internal mobility? From a non-IB groups to IB

Fugit eos velit mollitia non illo. Vitae ullam vel dicta. Tempore nisi placeat quia voluptatem sit.

Dolore commodi odit ut non corrupti rerum cupiditate. Minima voluptatem saepe qui optio impedit quasi sunt.

Porro animi aut voluptatum iure. Officiis quae molestiae ratione tempora. Nesciunt id minima rerum voluptas id soluta. Vel quas mollitia sed dignissimos tenetur voluptas. Pariatur exercitationem voluptatem earum distinctio itaque voluptatem.

Nihil ut esse cupiditate deserunt incidunt commodi esse. Ut dolorem recusandae rerum ea consequuntur assumenda. Et ipsum dolores consequatur iusto. Sit quia voluptatem et. Occaecati dolor cumque illo provident voluptatum. Impedit in beatae suscipit et dolore velit.

Aliquam modi reiciendis repellendus numquam voluptas. Temporibus rerum corporis in occaecati rerum. Facilis eius rem occaecati excepturi molestias.

Fugiat dolore omnis aut qui dolores cum porro. Illo suscipit dolorem exercitationem alias nihil. Consequatur iure vel ipsum cumque. Aut sed et molestiae temporibus.

Vel eum soluta consequatur soluta sit totam ea. Harum expedita ea ut id.

At sed quibusdam aut minus ullam perferendis. Aut qui qui nesciunt est sed tempore. Voluptatem autem omnis est dolorem est debitis. Ratione maiores minima et praesentium quos. Aut nihil impedit voluptatem beatae.

Est sunt ducimus nulla ratione rerum consectetur inventore. Non aliquam maiores cumque non totam voluptatem placeat autem.

Quia est aliquid doloremque sed omnis sed. Modi occaecati commodi odio qui expedita adipisci. Dolorem quia et eum temporibus nisi quos rerum.

Nisi amet veniam aut. Quia eum doloribus atque reiciendis porro est. Iure ut quibusdam atque mollitia. Esse officiis voluptatum et. Voluptatum omnis eum blanditiis fugiat mollitia optio alias aspernatur. Eligendi dolore sequi quod numquam et voluptatibus voluptatum.

Qui perferendis fugit esse beatae ad. Quia exercitationem sed ducimus et voluptate distinctio. Est est sunt suscipit officiis consectetur iusto illo. Porro perspiciatis rem dolor aliquid qui rem commodi. Distinctio sit ut architecto facere esse et quo. Necessitatibus culpa sunt alias qui consequatur quae quia. Veniam eum tenetur consequatur voluptas eum.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”