Investment Banking Rankings 2020

Thought it would be nice to have a refresh of the latest BB rankings based on everyone's perception and exits to the buyside. Note that this is slightly biased based on personal interactions with the banks on different processes, and that each bank has their own unique strengths and weaknesses. But here is what I think as far as reputation.

Tier 1: GS / MS
Tier 1.5: JPM Tier 2: BAML / Citi / CS / Barclays
Tier 3: UBS / DB

Region

swap UBS and DB, DB is still top 5 in certain verticals/products but UBS is definitely not

Controversial

There's another recent thread with accurate and up to date 2020 rankings but since there's misinformation or low effort rank trolling here thus far, I'll paste it over:

Tier 1: GS/MS/JPM Tier 2: BAML Tier 3: Citi/CS Tier 4: Barclays/RBC Tier 5: DB/UBS (these hardly count at this point, perhaps top groups at DB, but nothing positive to say for UBS her)

It's really not and no one who works in the industry outside of RBC believes it is.

Don't get me wrong it's a solid bank with strong upward momentum and a couple bright spots in the US but that alone doesn't make it a BB. You need presence globally (not just US and Canada), a broad capital markets franchise to back it up as well relationships across the largest companies across most sectors. On latter point, RBC is more mid-market.

I know a lot of this is semantics but I would say DB and UBS aren't in the BB camp anymore even though DB still has some very solid groups in Europe and I believe Asia as well.

CS has elite exit opps. They should be in Tier 2. Barclays is way better than RBC. DB is also better from an exits perspective. RBC is not a Bulge Bracket. Analyst 2 in IB either works at RBC or does not work in IB or he / she would know that league tables are misleading when it comes to BBs. Many just get put on a deal for financing. It may say they were on it for M&A but in reality, it's not the case.

Most Helpful

T1. GS/MS/JPM

T2. BAML/Citi

T3. Barclays

T4. CS/RBC

T5. DB

T6. UBS

Probably most accurate as of 2020 within the United States.

Agreed, this is very accurate. Personally, if I was deciding between offers, I'd put RBC a notch below CS and Barclays with T2.

For offers I definitely agree but I sort of discounted CS for being european and focusing away from their IBD.

This is factual so why hit him with the MS.

At my target kids generally take GS>MS/JPM>BAML>Citi/Barclays>CS>RBC>other firms which correlates well to revenue.

Right because you seriously believe kids will pick Wells and DB over RBC or Jefferies. When you see that UBS is right at those levels too you understand that revenue is a weak metric as it doesn't account for headcount, banks that just capital raise off of their BS, growth, etc.

IMO its fair to compare BB to BB across all products...GS and Barclays for example do not even have M&A groups, so you're probably going to have some exposure to capital markets as an IB analyst.

If we want to compare BB to EB or EB to EB, then yeah it does make sense to isolate for M&A.

I'm curious as to which firms you think "shouldn't be" in the top 10 since it includes every BB, and as far as I can tell, this thread is a BB ranking.

Outside of the US, no way RBC is higher than UBS and DB.

Yeah, but within the US I don't think UBS or DB are BB anymore. EMEA and APAC? Absolutely.

Why is everyone on this forum so obsessed with RBC? Most of these posts talk about them like they're the top bank. Stop spreading misinformation. Most people on Wall Street do not consider them a BB. It's not a bad place to be and certainly growing, but your M&A experience will be limited to financing roles. No one hires RBC for strategic advice...

They don't solely do financing for M&A at all. I'm sorry you didn't get an offer, but a spot no one was talking about 5 years ago has made the top 10 league tables for every single past year, in just the last year was a sole advisor to the largest bank merger since the crisis and then went on to be on the largest $100B+ deal of the year, top groups hold comp in-line with top EBs (170k all-in AN1 top bucket M&A), strong BS, and a very strong culture. Growth and recent recruiting has been aggressive for this very reason.

Coming over from the EB rankings thread. We need a BB/EB cumulative ranking to piss even more people off.

Lol once these kids do summer internships, they'll realize that anyone from any of the BBs and EBs, regardless of "tiers," can have any exit. At that point, it just depends on their undergrad school, GPA, connections, deal experience (luck) and most important, intelligence

You clearly work at UBS lol. I'm sorry. You go around telling people a place is overhyped because professionals are ranking them favorably? Cmon you know better.

on average, Barclays and Citi are better than CS but CS does have a couple of extremely good groups for exits

Accurate, but you forgot Citi. I'd put it either T1.5 or T2.

Tier 1 - BB: GS/MS - EB: EVR/PJT

Tier 2 - BB: JPM - EB: Moelis/Lazard

Tier 3 - BB: BAML/Citi/Barclays/CS - EB: Centerview/PWP

Honorable Mentions: Guggenheim (future EB?) and RBC (future BB?)

Haha this ranking will get extra monkey sh** because it doesn't say RBC is a surefire BB. However, I would say that these days, Guggenheim is unquestionably an EB, along with Greenhill (legacy name). Also, I'd say Qatalyst is an EB because it's so prolific in tech

3 year program and I've always felt that Moelis a bit more well regarded. That said, I'd take Centerview over Moelis, personally. Culture is >>

If I was at Moelis/Lazard then I'd also want to lateral to CVP, especially if I want Consumer.

This is most accurate in my opinion, RBC is getting way too much credit by other users. RBC is a top MM bank. Also weren't they just giving out well below street bonus's? I will try to find the WSO post that hinted at that for refernece.

Don't try to play off your own ignorance as people giving "too much credit." Also the bonus thing you're referring to was in London. In NA, it's literally the opposite with top buckets having comp in line with top EBs.

I also don't see the point of getting heated about rankings. However, I don't think there's anything wrong with having discussions and posts like these.

WSO is all inclusive, so interns, prospects, and incoming analysts like us can talk about anything and everything, and like you all know, rankings are very popular on WSO.

I find it even more childish when seniors put in the extra effort to bash younger people on here (I'm not saying you are) simply for ranking banks. Yea, we know that in the end rankings don't matter and we don't know anything. That's what the forums are for, to learn and gain insight from others in finance. Don't expect a college kid to be as enlightened and knowledgable about the street as you. They are ignorant because that's how it's supposed to be. Then again, I'm sure one they get to your shoes, they'll repeat the cycle.

Rankings matter for exit ops etc. Usually the people bashing are the ones at low tier banks lol.

You just admitted rankings are meaningless and you guys don’t know what you’re talking about... but then you said these “rankings” debates are valuable because you learn from each other’s insights. That makes no sense. Swapping ignorance about a topic that carries no weight is never a valuable use of time.

Also, you’d be shocked to see stats from headhunters about which banks (and groups) have the best PE placement in on-cycle recruiting each year. All I’ll say is it is almost never in line with these “rankings” lol.

I’m not saying DB carries the same weight as GS. But I am hoping that you guys won’t stress yourselves out about this crap and can find some relief in the fact that top performers, regardless of your bank, get spots at MF.

Can someone do the rankings of the non top BBs or EBs. I'm talking about Jefferies, William Blair, HL, Nomura, HSBC, WF, BMO, Mizuho, etc. Feel like no one really discusses these at all.

Why do people still refer Bank of America as BAML? As far as I am concerned, Bank of America phased out the Merill Lynch brand over a year ago.

I can’t believe people are suggesting DB is better than RBC. That is completely inaccurate. RBC has much higher deal flow and a stronger culture.

Lol same guy different accounts. Anyone can change their rank to 'director' on anonymous. Especially seeing this person is not even verified which is super easy to do at that level. Lmao just give it up man, network harder, study, and work on improving yourself and maybe you can lateral.

Generally, in EMEA, GS / MS are considered to be number 1, followed by top EB's such as Lazard / Rothschild.

In APAC, the rankings are slightly different, although GS / MS still dominates, banks such as UBS / Citi also perform quite well.

Bloomberg M&A Rankings 2018:

1. Morgan Stanley 24%
  2. Goldman Sachs 19%
  3. Bank of America Merrill Lynch 17%
  4. JP Morgan 16%
  5. Rothschild & Co 14%
  6. Citi 13%
  7. Credit Suisse 11%
  8. Lazard Ltd 10%
  9. Barclays 9%
  10. Deutsche Bank 8%

Keep in mind, ranking varies from group to group. EB's will have top groups like EVR M&A and Qatalyst in TMT that are year after year in the Top 10 in their respective industries. I would suggest looking into what product group you are interested in before trying to rank firms.

2019 M&A rankings are listed below...2018 was known to be an anomaly in terms of which firms were ranked high.

1 Goldman Sachs & Co

2 JP Morgan

3 Morgan Stanley

4 Bofa Securities Inc

5 Citi

6 Lazard

7 Barclays

8 Evercore Partners

9 Credit Suisse

10 Rothschild & Co

Generally, in M&A, GS and MS always ranks as #1 and #2 with the most high profile mandates. In ECM and IPOs, MS is usually #1.

From a growth standpoint:

Tier 1a: RBC/GS Tier 1b: JPM/MS Tier 2 : Barclays/BAML Tier 3: Citi/CS Tier 4: WF/HL Tier 5: DB/UBS

from a GROWTH standpoint. One can look at recent deals (BB&T/SunTrust merger) to see that RBC is getting stronger and stronger deals. Same for GS which is the top bank in the industry. On the flip side DB and UBS have not been growing their IBD business. If anything, deal flow is weakening in those groups.

Wtf is from a growth standpoint. Please stop this RBC nonsense. The bank is not a BB. Yes, their revenues in North America is huge, yes, they are ranked in Top 10 in M&A last year.

But any good analyst can take a look and deduce that the North American market makes up over 90% of their M&A deal value. They barely have a presence in EMEA, APAC which is important to be considered as a global investment bank, much less a BB.

I get that ppl bashing RBC makes you unhappy, but they are expanding significantly in markets outside of their core expertise. So who knows? Maybe further down the line, they will be universally recognised as a BB, but for now, no.

Look, I worked with RBC analysts who lateralled to my EB. They are hands down some of the best analysts I have ever worked with.

Keep in mind that these rankings do not say anything about the quality of the juniors at the firm, if you are good, you will be able to lateral to another firm or exit to a decent MM PE. But it is non-sensical to call RBC a BB.

Illum adipisci nisi voluptas pariatur. Accusantium ea deleniti sapiente impedit.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”