Q&A: State School > BB M&A > TMT Investing > Corp Dev
Chimps of WSO -
Now that I am a bit into my career, I feel that I am finally in a position where I am comfortable giving back to this wonderful community in the form of a Q&A. I can confidently say I wouldn't be where I am now were it not for this website and community.
I'll provide some key background info below. I am happy to answer any questions regarding recruiting for and working in IB, the buyside, and corp dev, how to be successful in your first few jobs, surviving your IB analyst years, evaluating different career options (incl. PE & HFs), and pretty much anything else you want to know (within reason!).
- School: Large State School
- Degrees: Finance & Econ double major
- GPA: ~3.9
- Relevant School Activities: Student Fund
Jobs I've Held:
- Sophomore Internship: Structured Product @ Large MM Bank
- Junior Internship: M&A @ CS / /
- First Job: 2yrs at M&A @ CS / BofA / Citi (returned to same bank as junior internship)
- Second Job: Corporate Development & Investment
-focused investment holding company
- This was effectively a hybrid PE & Corp Dev role
- Current: Corporate Development Manager at large media firm
- Day-to-day responsibilities: Evaluate new investment opportunities, develop various strategic analyses for senior management, run and manage live deal processes, etc.
Other Potentially Relevant Info:
- Recruited mainly for HFs from banking until I came across the unique opportunity I ended up taking; have decided since that HFs are no longer something I want to pursue - I'm good to answer questions on recruiting and interview processes and why I've decided to not pursue this (if anyone is interested)
- Have decided against going to B-school - willing to answer any questions why I've decided against b-school
- Debated taking CFA (was even registered until it was cancelled during pandemic), have decided (currently) not worth it for me, but may revisit this idea later - happy to discuss why I decided against it and my thought process
Want to work with me? Check out my WSO Mentor profile here!