Debt Folks, have a question- Is there a science behind the loan term chosen by the lenders? For example, a deal I am involved with is a single tenant industrial deal where there are four years left in the lease. Tenant is B+ rated tenant, solid tenant. Will any lender be willing to lend on a long term 5, 7 or 10 year term? Or is the only option a short term 2 year bridge loan and once it gets stabilized with a longer term lease, then refinance with a longer term loan? I have a 2 year loan term quote from a national bank, so I was wondering whats the reasoning that goes behind a lender choosing a a 2 year loan vs 5 or 7 years? Because even with a 2 year loan, there is a chance that the tenant does not renew the lease and there is not a lot of interest from lenders wanting to refinance this loan at the 3rd year with the tenant not renewing, so why a 2 yr loan and not a longer term loan? I am failing to see how the lender is minimizing risk by offering a 2 yr loan. I was thinking a 5, 7 or 10 year loan with reserves held back for a possible shortfall in year 3 or 4 can still be worthwhile for a lender. Thank you for any help, appreciate it!
Wall Street Oasis Notifications
Please tell us a little bit more about yourself to send you the most relevant notifications
Popular Content See all
- Current situation- it's a long one.
Grew up in upstate NY in the suburbs working in a country club full of big time ballers and bankers. I generally would keep my head down and perform the job at hand without so much as a glance at some of the huge name guys. I had no idea I wanted to...+36 by H.E. Penny Packer in OFF
- Does anyone here get annoyed when someone says they're in finance just because they work at a financial firm but does something completely unrelated to the industry?
I worked with another HR intern during my time at the PE firm. Once my summer internship came to an end, they wanted to...+32 by lleekyungsie805 in OFF
- In honor of this [disappointment](https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/ama-cre-broker-at-a-top-tier-firm#new), I thought the community could step up to the plate a bit. I used to be a CRE Broker (office leasing, mostly on the landlord side) at a firm that people will debate about below!
Ask...+19 by CRE in RE
- @WallStreetOasis.com" has been invaluable to me since I decided 5 years ago to make a career change into commercial real estate (from non finance) so its my turn to give back. I hope my story can help some people.
* Extreme non-target school (undergrad and MBA)
*...+18 by luv2speed in RE
- Hey guys - this group was very helpful to me 10 years ago when it was 2008 and I graduated and was looking to be an analyst from a non-target school in Texas. I started as an an investment analyst for a REPE fund.
Fast forward - I found my niche in real estate syndication and have now:
1. ...+17 by baylormale in RE
- There are a lot of conflicting views on this but every other day I see a post about WeWorks massive debt.
I also saw a post of a girl on LinkedIn that was offered a position, and then it was stripped away from her because they wanted her to sign a contract saying all future start up rights...+16 by isa2130953 in OFF
- This question is based off an article https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2019/07/17/what-wealthy-its-not-necessarily-becoming-millionaire/1744408001/ I saw today that states that only 13% of people with assets greater than $1 M actually feel wealthy. Most of these people lie in the $1M -$5M...+14 by quantgrunt in OFF
- Financial modeling is a skill that any investment banking analyst will have to master. Although the majority of investment banks and other financial firms now have formal training programs, many students and prospective finance professionals are choosing to enroll in self-study financial...+13 by WallStreetOasis.com in IB
- So a granola bar I hid behind my computer monitor is gone this morning. Does anyone have good stories about office food thieves?
I have a good suspicion of who stole it. They will come by shortly to say hello like most days and hint that the cleaning staff stole something off of their...+12 by WolfofWSO in OFF
- Currently at a BB in Ops and been here for 2 years. There’s an internal program to move to IBD for which I’ve made great connections and think I have a high probability (but certainly no guarantee) of making it. Process won’t conclude for another 2 months. Meanwhile I’ve received an...+12 by Burner99 in IB
Upcoming EventsSee all
- Jul24Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- New York City, 7/24-7/268:00 to 5:00 EDT Online
- Aug02Rewind - Amazon Pitchbook M&A Deal Analysis + Q&A – 12am ET, 8/2(All day) Online
- Aug07Financial Modeling Boot Camp -- New York City, 8/7-8/98:00 to 5:00 EDT Online