Retired Kobe Bryant announced his $100M venture capital firm

To start off, I love Kobe Bryant - the guy is a legend. Today, he announced his venture capital firm, called Bryant Stibel, and apparently has been running it along with Jeff Stibel for years.

Current investments include sports media website The Players Tribune and legal-services company LegalZoom.

In an interview, Kobe Bryant and Jeff Stibel said their skills complement each other, with Stibel bringing experience building companies and Bryant contributing a creative, if obsessive, flair for details around marketing, branding and storytelling. He, in fact, designed the company’s new logo with inspiration from piano keys.

Any thoughts, monkeys? Do you think Bryant Stibel will be successful?

Company Website
Source: WSJ

I would normally feel bad for a professional athlete investing in a "VC fund"...9/10 they'd probably lose everything...but I think Kobe will make it work given the branding & deals he will see just because of who he is.

and yes, we'll let you know when we have an internship/analyst position for this firm on our job board :-)

It goes to show you how qualified Venture Capitalists really are. Not just Kobe, the Bay Area is filled with "professional" venture capitalists who throw money around like hot potatoes. Hence the unicorn-filled world we live in. I probably shouldn't talk shit though, since it works for them.

I think that's understating how much Kobe knows about branding, marketing, etc. It'll depend who all is in the firm. One partner isn't generally going to make or break it.

"It is better to have a friendship based on business, than a business based on friendship." - Rockefeller. "Live fast, die hard. Leave a good looking body." - Navy SEAL

Kobe will probably kill it because of his work ethic and intelligence. He isn't trying to leverage the Kobe brand rather find actual businesses that make sense. His business partner seems pretty legit too. Also, this doesn't appear to be new rather an extension of a prior working/investing relationship.

Grant Hill is another example of an ex NBAer doing well in finance with his PE / Mezz Fund http://www.pentamezz.com/team/

We're all focusing on Kobe, instead of looking at the fact that he's working with Jeff Stibel. Stibel brings a ton of experience coming in from Dun & Bradstreet that gives the firm the much needed boost to compete in the VC Space. The athletes that succeed in PE and VC are the ones that take their love of the game and all the work that goes into really being the best of the best and transition it into their next challenge. That work ethic only goes so far without having someone in the business to balance out the skills they lack. I think Bryant Stibel will definitely be successful, but I think that they are going to have to find a niche market to really capitalize on the strengths that both men bring to the table.

Best Response

The value he can bring as a spokesperson is obviously worth millions to certain companies, especially those starting out. Athletic equipment, energy boosters, massaged Japanese beef, and healthy foods are obvious candidates.

But, wait there's more: Think of what he could do to re-energize pepper spray as a rape defense kit......he's been on the other side and could certainly talk about how the searing pain of burning chemicals would have deterred him with his rape victim(s). A demonstration of its efficacy on Kobe would be amazing and would sell millions of overpriced 'Rape Defense Kits' to middle aged white women.

All-in, I would give him a decent shot of being successful as long as he uses his celebrity status creatively and honestly.

This is good because it finally gives an analogy to make the point of why Kobe is great.

Kobe is a an MVP, NBA Champ, top 5 scoring of all-time, father of two... blah blah. He's also shot 28 of 46 from the field to score 81 points in a single game. But who really cares. If he was too timid, had no instinct, and his only greatness was calculable from a sheet of statistics, he'd look like today's hedge funds with all of their 'expertise' going into trailing the market.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't know what you're doing. But that's where hard work and determination come in to really help out. Kobe puts in the hardwork to get the most out of his craft. He focuses on one thing so that he can do it well and better and better. MJ had more physical abilities than most of his contemporaries and so did Magic as a 6'9" PG. You can't take LeBron's 6'8"/250LB stature away from him, nor can you add to Kobe's 6'6" in height. But a person with good instinct and the ability to learn coupled with the determination to grow can win at anything since his mind is already made up.

I make these comparisons because before we had access to information in the internet age, your naked eye would've had to tell you what is good and true. There are comparisons that can be made without a sheet of numbers in front of you, and your instinct has to kick it in with good judgement. I think finding a winner in VC is similar to being successful on the court because even if you look at the numbers, it can't tell all.

Even Buffett, who reads like 500 pages of company filings and information a day, must have some instinct because how does he group good information from bad and chooses what to focus most on? There's a bunch of idiots out there that seem to say that 'as long as you're doing the work, it'll go well', but that's not nearly true. Everything you do takes intangibles like determination, dedication, and instinct to move down the path to success.

Hedge funds are not lagging because of lack of information. Statistics don't measure success in either way. If the statistics go against you, find away to work through it. If the statistics are on your side, do you just lay on your ass and do nothing, because the stats will carry you to success? LeBron is one to have gotten depressed because he fell to this misconception (read

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul

Completely agree with you here. Many success stories from BC to now happened without the absolute need for complicated calculations and expert statistics etc. Many things can be done when people put out their heart in it and don't stop until they physically and mentally can't. Of course in this day risk management and all that number crunching is required but it is not the sole requirement because we all know that one person in life who got the highest grades in everything and still somehow turned out to not be as successful as expected.

Absolute truths don't exist... celebrated opinions do.

I remember hearing a podcast with Chris Sacca on the BS Podcast where Kobe called up Chris to learn about the VC world (looked it up Ep. 95, near the end). Chris didn't take him too seriously but gave him a reading list just to throw him a bone. Kobe called him up constantly with a bunch of questions he had while going through the list. Chris Sacca seems to believe that Kobe is approaching it with some amount of seriousness and intensity. It doesn't necessarily mean Kobe will be successful but this isn't just another athlete throwing money around and hoping for the best.

realblue:

I remember hearing a podcast with Chris Sacca on the BS Podcast where Kobe called up Chris to learn about the VC world (looked it up Ep. 95, near the end). Chris didn't take him too seriously but gave him a reading list just to throw him a bone. Kobe called him up constantly with a bunch of questions he had while going through the list. Chris Sacca seems to believe that Kobe is approaching it with some amount of seriousness and intensity. It doesn't necessarily mean Kobe will be successful but this isn't just another athlete throwing money around and hoping for the best.

Thought about that episode with Sacca when I read this. That's a great listen.

MM IB -> Corporate Development -> Strategic Finance

Agree that using his celebrity is worth some money, but the plan is apparently not to do that, according to a recent WSJ article:

"“We don’t want to be in the business of investing in companies so someone can use Kobe as an endorser. That’s not interesting,” said Mr. Stibel, who began his career in brain research and later founded and developed tech companies. “The point is to add real value.”

Mr. Bryant, who is known for his painstaking preparation and training, said he also brings the ability to identify entrepreneurs with a robust work ethic."

http://www.wsj.com/articles/kobe-bryant-and-jeff-stibel-unveil-100-mill…

He entered the market in 2013, he just retired and he is filthy rich. I don't see a correlation. It isn't like he entered the market because the market was doing great, and I think for him this is his own personal fund to manage his money. So if he retired in 2020 or 2005 that is when he would of made his fund.

David Robinson is a principal at Admiral Capital, a REPE fund that has some conventional PE investments. Carmelo Anthony is a partner at Melo7Tech Partners, they invested in alibaba & Lyft. along w/ various other firms. Hill has been mentioned. This was inevitable, dudes with capital see the cash being reaped by the Marc Andreessen's of the world and want some of that cash. I think there will be successes stories and failures just like any other investment vehicle, also think it is a good idea on their part b/c they have the cash and the cache.

Array

I don't care about athletes but there are a number of lies being thrown around here.

if Kobe didn't know the meaning of the word "no," he wouldn't be as wealthy as he is and wouldn't be able to start this fund. athletes who don't know the meaning of the word no go broke. they don't start VC funds.

google "kobe bryant work ethic," sure playing people to 100 one-on-one until midnight isn't the same as hunting for business ideas, but the guy has it in his blood to improve, be the best, and put in the man hours. he's not lacking in work ethic.

it's not all kobe. as mentioned, he has a partner. fuld has the right idea in that kobe's brand is worth a lot to companies, so it could be a good partnership.

VC is not PE, you likely have dozens of busts before you have a unicorn, so yes there will be failures but any VC investor whose batting average is better than ted williams's is cooking the books.

he's worth over $300mm, and no telling how big the nike contracts he's on are worth. this is a $100mm fund. even if he goes completely bust, this is actually pretty smart diversification. it's not like he's counting on this to avoid going on food stamps.

all that being said, he's still a rapist and likely a piece of shit to be around, but y'all need to do your research before slaying people, it makes you look stupid.

Ut reiciendis ullam delectus temporibus. Ad cupiditate voluptas qui error architecto. Esse assumenda et nulla explicabo est sed dolorem excepturi. Dolores eos et dolorem voluptate dolorem. Sapiente natus error quod ea aliquid. Aliquid voluptate rerum qui aliquid corporis ut ratione.

Qui non autem vero amet velit doloremque. Fugiat et mollitia nostrum sed totam tempora. Sint quisquam hic explicabo aperiam.

Dicta repellat iste qui minus. Qui velit officiis nemo placeat. Sapiente similique ipsam dolor nihil.

Array

Dolorem ut et voluptatibus hic. Eum occaecati est molestiae reprehenderit quos totam sed culpa. Est sit possimus dolorem mollitia ea id ipsa.

Praesentium porro praesentium eaque in necessitatibus laborum. Sed praesentium deleniti iure voluptate. Voluptatem labore numquam quas perspiciatis iure. Rem laborum et autem neque. Et ut ut ea facere et ut eaque.

Earum est iste ex et iure. Eveniet incidunt impedit eum dicta repellat minus odit rerum.

Dicta doloremque cum consequuntur saepe. Eum sint excepturi quis ratione cumque quia sed. Aut molestiae sequi et et tempore molestiae maiores quis. Aut voluptatum repellendus praesentium mollitia. Sapiente eos quia commodi sed nobis. Vel consequatur consequatur ut.

Assumenda vel non laborum est magni. Adipisci eaque nostrum quaerat accusamus repellendus et. Cumque voluptatem aut qui est est. Eos iste animi occaecati accusantium placeat corporis laudantium.

Voluptatibus omnis et et omnis. Voluptatibus non nisi possimus quis qui. Id facere iste labore. Molestias beatae necessitatibus saepe id accusantium. Ea dolor dolorem dolor cumque et. Sed ullam molestias rem et veritatis fugiat et.

In ipsam eum et mollitia. Omnis hic excepturi et quasi. Mollitia deleniti unde quo error sint.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”