The long hours the selfless investment banking analysts put in to provide liquidity in the market.

My new goal is to do memorable work (not even in IB, this transcends most industries).

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

Lot of people listing sports shit. I wonder what percentage of the U.S. population gives a shit about team sports.

heister: Look at all these wannabe richies hating on an expensive salad. https://arthuxtable.com/

I actually think most of the sports stuff people are listing are likely to be way less iconic than in past decades because of the explosion of social media and the fragmentation of audiences. Aside from maybe Lebron's block against the Warriors or Kawhi's Game 7 shot, not sure all that much will be remembered. The last iconic football moment I can think of is David Tyree's helmet catch, and I say this as a Pats fan.

Trump election and ongoing investigations involved QE infinity Negative interest rates

Few players recall big pots they have won, strange as it seems, but every player can remember with remarkable accuracy the outstanding tough beats of his career.

Podcasts

"New age" / minimalist social media (Snap, Instagram, etc.)

(Rise and fall of) EDM and club bangers. IS terrorism Refugee crisis in the western world

Fake news / disinformation campaigns on social media

Legitimization of e-sports

MMA popularity

Brexit shitshow

China

Right-wing populism

Most Helpful

The "lost decade" of the USA. Rahm Emanuel was actually right when he said "never let a serious crisis go to waste." Unfortunately the 2010's will be remembered as the worst possible American response to the global financial crisis of 08-09, much like Japan's lost decade of the 90's.

10 years of political and economic malaise and inaction in the face of the global financial crisis (no systemic changes made), no meaningful structural reforms, continuous expensive Middle Eastern wars while no investment in infrastructure or education, and no long-term planning. This while our largest political and economic rival(s) continued to grow, improve and invest. We won't reap the seeds of this inaction until the 2050's history books look back on a completely wasted opportunity.

Be excellent to each other, and party on, dudes.

This is where I was.

Yes, we've had the longest bull market ever. But did we do anything for that? Or are we simply living in a real-life, extended dead cat bounce after the horrific fall from 07-09.

Economically nothing has really changed: we still export jobs, import technology, and are still by and large in some form of dispute with a middle east country. The banks are running wild, the automakers still can't make 2 dimes from a quarter, and our commodity prices haven't substantially changed in a decade.

The only reason why anything appears different is that the Fed has flooded the street with easy cash, not any structural change.

Director of Finance and Corporate Development: 2020 - Present Manager of FP&A and Corporate Development: 2019 - 2020 Corporate Finance, Strategy and Development: 2011 - 2019 "An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Synergy_or_Syzygy:
10 years of political and economic malaise and inaction in the face of the global financial crisis (no systemic changes made), no meaningful structural reforms,

Well, to be fair, there was an attempt at financial reform and a pretty massive attempt at reforming the healthcare system.

The many conservative patriots we have in this country made sure none of that got off the ground, or at least had the good sense to roll it all back to the status quo ante as soon as possible. After all, can't have reform of a broken system, it's un-American! The Founding Fathers decreed that American society is perfect as is, don't need no stinking changes.

Clownish to think Balenciaga sneakers defined the decade smh.

traderlife:
Honestly boredom. Nothing that exciting happened. Decade of people spending their lives on their phones.

This is a good thing (John Adams paraphrased: "I study politics and war that my children might study art and science"). But idle hands are the devil's workshop. This is the freest, most prosperous generation in the history of mankind and we are angrier than ever. And those who came before us--the giants on whose shoulders we stand--are despised by our culture for their shortcomings. The ungratefulness of this generation for all that it has is awe-inspiring--or jaw-dropping.

I think it's amazing for our society how prosperous we are, but I think it's terrible for the individual character.

Array

real_Skankhunt42:
And those who came before us--the giants on whose shoulders we stand--are despised by our culture for their shortcomings. The ungratefulness of this generation for all that it has is awe-inspiring--or jaw-dropping.

This isn't true, at all. There is a lot of anger towards the Boomer generation, which is entirely justified; folks roughly aged 50-75 right now are among the most spoiled, coddled, selfish people the world has ever seen. They have accomplished nothing. They've given birth to a society of extreme selfishness, of disregard for the cost of comfort. Can you name a meaningful accomplishment of the Boomer Generation? WWII/Korea predate them. Civil Rights was the previous generation. Moon landings and the associated scientific breakthroughs predated them.

They'll be remembered for being born with every advantage, wanting more, and screwing over future generations by kicking the can of their own luxuries down the road while also pulling the ladder of economic opportunity up after them.

Aside from that I think most people recognize and are grateful for the fact that previous Americans have built a great society, even if progress has been slow or backwards in some ways.

The rise of cryptocurrencies and blockchain

The fall of the establishment socio-political order; Trump on the right but you could even say the leftist revolt against the corporatist Democrat party establishment

The rise of social media and how anyone can be a local celebrity now with Instagram

The rise and also end of the media's fixation on millennials with Gen Z coming to prominence culturally at the end of the decade

Cultural shift in music with EDM dominating the first half of the decade and moving back to hip hop to the other half. Hip hop was dead for a while after Eminem lost his edge, but now the new generation with Travis Scott, Kendrick, Migos, etc., have really made this the biggest genre that there is now. You can hate on mumble rap if you want, but you can't hate on Young Thug's bank account.

Cities: Rise of Austin and Nashville. Start of revitalization in Los Angeles and Detroit. San Francisco has peaked out and I predict will fall next decade.

real_Skankhunt42:
There haven't been all that many "larger-than-life" U.S. presidents, yet we've had 2 in a row for the entire decade. I wonder if this is a blip or if it's a trend.

I don't think we'll be in a position to answer that for another 25 years.

Look at Bush. People thought he was the worst thing ever by the time he left office. Now he seems to have settled into a kind of third quartile forgettable obscurity. Everything seems of historic importance while it's happening.

The only real answer is Trump, or nothing at all. Because let's be honest, people have an attention span that lasts about 15 min.

Follow the shit your fellow monkeys say @shitWSOsays Life is hard, it's even harder when you're stupid - John Wayne

pablo escobartard:
  1. Political Polarization

2. Climate Change

Neither problem exists if there's only one political party

“The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates, and a monthly salary.” - Nassim Taleb

Atque consequatur nulla enim id modi eos. Similique vitae nihil non mollitia cupiditate consequatur. Accusantium provident provident sit ut exercitationem quo. Tempore dolorum aut molestiae aut ut atque. Distinctio incidunt cupiditate quos sed sed porro omnis dolorem.

Vero molestiae rerum quia consequatur quaerat cupiditate. Amet autem qui sit adipisci tenetur qui. Quia dignissimos culpa dolor atque rerum eius nesciunt. Saepe sit modi iste et omnis. Ea nihil qui rerum nemo quam.

Unde eum earum unde voluptatem ut ipsa. Alias quia expedita maiores quo laborum impedit quam. Culpa minus repudiandae voluptatem rerum exercitationem autem. Qui eum nisi quae voluptatum sunt vero.

Earum sequi illo dolorem nostrum eius nemo. Aspernatur nobis quisquam omnis quia itaque ea. Magnam delectus autem accusantium. Vero mollitia et sunt aperiam. Ut et quisquam labore aut natus.

Et quia cupiditate enim facilis molestiae. Saepe aut nemo rerum. Deleniti sit et ea ut. Eos inventore eveniet suscipit quidem vero a.

Reprehenderit dolorem unde explicabo eos eligendi. Enim cumque nihil fuga reprehenderit hic. Ut ut sed optio molestias aliquam praesentium. Sed vel occaecati est aut. Aut amet dolores unde alias.

Sapiente odio est vero. Non quo provident corrupti cumque quas qui. Mollitia esse placeat error omnis provident sapiente. Amet dolor officia enim et. Modi eveniet et exercitationem provident quia.

Maiores itaque aut perferendis blanditiis veniam quod ut rem. Odit repudiandae animi odio voluptas velit ut omnis. Ea illum sequi vel quaerat accusamus accusantium quam. Culpa ex aliquam rerum excepturi eaque cupiditate sapiente. Quos consequatur perspiciatis modi eos et facilis. Dolor recusandae itaque iste sint dignissimos similique.

Labore at quaerat eum aut sit. Et eos et temporibus ex doloribus sed. Soluta tenetur soluta placeat.

Maiores quis sint sed nobis itaque praesentium magnam vitae. Ea sunt placeat ex eos. Alias et impedit laboriosam aut incidunt harum. Dolore et nihil rerum necessitatibus officia ullam libero.

Veniam provident ullam distinctio sunt. Et repellat unde alias hic culpa culpa iure. Mollitia natus tenetur et rerum adipisci reiciendis rem. Consequatur suscipit accusantium provident libero perspiciatis facilis.

Et ad dolor ea sequi consequatur iure molestiae. Provident rerum itaque voluptas autem rerum sequi ipsa rerum. Enim veritatis vitae debitis quae. Aut voluptatem praesentium eum error. Similique pariatur nulla saepe vel et iure.

Tenetur ut voluptas non placeat. Et consectetur quos repellendus fugit nulla nisi enim. Qui iure nostrum explicabo nam. Nesciunt hic non ipsum impedit deserunt earum quis. Qui voluptates suscipit et et. Inventore rerum autem aperiam repellat quaerat dolor ratione.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”