Top groups at PWP 2020?

What are the top industry M&A groups at PWP? Also is RX strong for MF exits? Also why do people think PWP is a pipeline for M7 MBA? What do people mean - can you get mba out of 2 yrs as an IB analyst?

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (38)

• Prospect in IB - Gen
May 2, 2020 - 9:57am

does that mean the Partners go to bat for you in terms of HBS recruiting? Still kinda confused as to why it is easier to get into HBS from PWP...

• Intern in IB - Cov
May 2, 2020 - 10:46pm

One of the founders is in some prominent role (something like Board of Advisors) and so his firm places extraordinarily well into HBS. If you left for PE amicably and get a letter of rec from PWP it counts a lot

Most Helpful
May 2, 2020 - 12:27am

I think there's a lot of misconception about PWP on this forum. Sure you can get an MBA after your analyst years but it's not common at all anymore. If that's what you want, you can certainly get into an M7. Most analysts choose to exit or stay on for a 3rd year (top analysts get a promotion after 2 years). Comp is excellent at the associate level, which is actually a big factor in analysts staying on. You'll get MF interviews no matter what group you're in (except maybe the SF tech group...). I personally ran into a number of PWP guys in my MF/UMM interviews. At one super day, one of them mentioned the total class size is about 30-35 across the entire US (NY, Chi, LA, SF). Given the small size and the fact that I ran into multiple PWP guys at super days implies they must be getting interviews and doing decently well. Strongest groups would definitely be Healthcare and Rx.

Array
Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
May 2, 2020 - 7:08pm

I've run into an SF HC analyst at a MF interview and other analysts in classes above me have run into SF/NY HC analysts at super days too. Can confirm that HC in both offices are strong

No personal experience with SF tech guys but have colleagues at top firms (GS/MS/Q) that mentioned they do little to no deals. Have also heard anecdotally about culture not being great..again no personal experience with them but sounds pretty consistent with their rep on this forum

Array
  • Business School in IB - Gen
May 2, 2020 - 2:12pm

How's their FIG team? Asking because PWP runs a separate recruiting process for NY FIG at the MBA Associate level (I also have a background in FIG).

And did the FIG team do the PayPal deal or would that have been executed out of SF?

May 2, 2020 - 3:44pm

the paypal deal was indeed out of the fintech desk, also in collaboration with PWP SF i think, because Qatalyst represented Honey

Array
  • Prospect in IB-M&A
May 2, 2020 - 2:37pm

TMT, run by Woody Young, is also known to be strong. Having spoken to members of the group, definitely more of a whale hunting group that does a landmark transaction every few years and smaller, higher volume transactions in between.

• Analyst 1 in IB - Cov
May 3, 2020 - 7:30pm

Absolute sweatshop, long hours for sure. Overall bad culture. Multiple analysts can confirm this. Pay is superb to keep juniors around.

• Prospect in IB - Gen
May 2, 2020 - 7:21pm

So for NY office, consensus for PE exits (MF type):

1) Healthcare
2) Restructuring
3) TMT (mainly MT in NY)

And for MBA: not common to do mba after analyst years but option exists. HBS and PWP seem to have some sort of a relationship because of Joe Perella and Peter Weinberg.

Any other thoughts about NY PE recruiting and best groups? Also, are they receptive to pe recruiting now?

• Intern in IB-M&A
May 3, 2020 - 1:23pm

This is accurate-industrials team is quality, in addition to having the best forestry practice on the street they have a great A&D / paper & packaging presence

Aug 13, 2021 - 6:01am

Does anybody know how the groups work? Do the HC and TMT groups for example just do 100% M&A or are there other products sprinkled into it?

Array
Aug 13, 2021 - 6:05am

Aspernatur libero numquam cum ipsum molestiae commodi dolorem eligendi. Quam explicabo rem praesentium cupiditate quia consequuntur. Vero ad voluptas sed. Quo aut sint molestias exercitationem. Nesciunt dolorem cumque voluptas ducimus possimus soluta repudiandae.

Eum aut ullam est perferendis tempora quisquam illo. Est eum eos aut. Velit ipsam maxime distinctio animi provident eveniet.

Provident molestiae dolores pariatur et ut. Et quia porro aliquam. Nemo occaecati ut non voluptatem. Laboriosam tempore enim excepturi et. Dolorem consequatur quia consequuntur.

Array
  • Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
Sep 22, 2021 - 1:39pm

Ut suscipit pariatur non. Enim assumenda nesciunt qui magnam. Nobis velit vel fugit aut similique. Corporis excepturi tempore voluptatum velit ut est nisi quia. Ut esse commodi dolorum omnis quidem.

Et eos asperiores veniam qui placeat qui et. Quae voluptas ut ducimus impedit. Reprehenderit dolorum libero fugit nobis nemo. Quaerat est modi commodi sunt. Voluptas omnis rerum facere nisi aut soluta quia aut. Voluptas earum accusantium vitae.

Qui quasi numquam aut totam et. Aliquam error nisi voluptas quis repellendus autem. Enim doloribus non doloremque fugit veniam dicta. Nam odio sunt rerum. Accusamus repellat numquam quia nam. Aspernatur tenetur quam est perferendis a ut. Repellat aut occaecati ut ut cumque.

Deserunt ea voluptatem tempora eligendi iste deserunt itaque. Nihil et inventore non aperiam dolor nisi. Aut error odit commodi laudantium saepe maiores amet. At voluptatem inventore dolor asperiores dolorem doloremque. Eveniet ab corrupti et enim est sint. Autem et quisquam et necessitatibus.

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

December 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (10) $853
  • Vice President (40) $360
  • Associates (236) $235
  • 2nd Year Analyst (145) $156
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (34) $154
  • Intern/Summer Associate (107) $146
  • 1st Year Analyst (515) $136
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (396) $84