Top Investment Banks in each industry 2018

I have not seen a comprehensive list of the top banks for each industry. So many people new to the banking industry have this "GS is king" mentality without realizing that GS is outclassed in many industries. I think it would be really helpful to have one thread that lists the top 3-5 banks in each industry. Please share your knowledge. Thanks!

Mod Note (Andy): Don't miss the top comment below by user @lapike", and see our IB Industry Reports in our Company Database.

Most Helpful

All of the below are based on either league tables, hearsay, my own prejudices, or things I learned in history class.

• Consumer: JPM or Goldman or Barclays
  • Energy & Power: MS or Citi or Evercore
  • FIG: JPM
  • Healthcare: JPM
  • Industrials: Citi or BAML or JPM
  • TMT: Goldman or BAML or JPM
  • Retail: Goldman
  • RGL: Goldman or JPM
  • Layoffs: DB
  • ...Her?: Nomura
  • Laundering Nazi Gold: UBS or CS
  • Failing at Rebranding: WF
  • Re-enacting "I Am Legend" by being the last bank left in London in 2025: Barclays
  • MM Industrials: Baird
  • MM Healthcare: Piper or Jefferies, but Baird and Blair are nipping at their heels
  • MM Consumer: Lazard, followed closely by Houlihan, Baird, Blair
  • MM Restructuring: Houlihan
  • MM TMT: Jefferies, Blair, Baird - but this is a huge tossup depending on how you cut it.
  • MM Doing funky math that gets you to 11x EBITDA leverage on your LBO: Jefferies
  • Intern Licking: CS

This is obviously my own opinion, and I don't know what much about every sector but (just a few top banks, not a particular order):

Tech: GS, MS, JPM, Qatalyst, Centerview Media & Telecom: MS, BAML, Evercore, Moelis and Guggenheim (media) Industrials: Citi, JPM, BAML, Lazard Energy: Citi, Barclays, Evercore, TPH Healthcare: MS, Lazard, JPM, Evercore, Centerview Consumer & Retail: GS, MS, JPM, BAML, Moelis, Evercore Real Estate: JPM, BAML, Evercore, FIG: GS, JPM Sponsors (Financing): JPM, BAML, CS, Jefferies (if you're looking for whack leverage) Sponsors (Actual Advisory): Evercore, Moelis, Lazard Large-Cap Restructuring: PJT, Lazard, Moelis Shareholder Activism / Defense: GS, Evercore

Obviously the top overall banks have strong groups across coverage teams and products, but thought I'd list a few groups that are well known / respected in each and try to cover many of the top banks' best teams.

TrackBack:
This is obviously my own opinion, and I don't know what much about every sector but (just a few top banks, not a particular order):

Tech: GS, MS, JPM, Qatalyst, Centerview Media & Telecom: MS, BAML, Evercore, Moelis and Guggenheim (media) Industrials: Citi, JPM, BAML, Lazard Energy: Citi, Barclays, Evercore, TPH Healthcare: MS, Lazard, JPM, Evercore, Centerview Consumer & Retail: GS, MS, JPM, BAML, Moelis, Evercore Real Estate: JPM, BAML, Evercore, FIG: GS, JPM Sponsors (Financing): JPM, BAML, CS, Jefferies (if you're looking for whack leverage) Sponsors (Actual Advisory): Evercore, Moelis, Lazard Large-Cap Restructuring: PJT, Lazard, Moelis Shareholder Activism / Defense: GS, Evercore

Obviously the top overall banks have strong groups across coverage teams and products, but thought I'd list a few groups that are well known / respected in each and try to cover many of the top banks' best teams.

I'm not an expert across all industries w/r/t bank rankings but:

For Tech - GS, MS, Qatalyst seriously dominate all the sell-side M&A mandates. Like as in I've yet to see a sell-side M&A deal of a minimum size (>$100m) that isn't represented by one of them. Rest of the banks are all lined up for buyside financing

Media & Telecom - I would add PJT (M&T is Taubman's forte), and JPM (they dominate the Media space)

Sponsors (Financing) - you may find this surprising but JPM is not as as active in the sponsor financing area (LBO) as you would think. At least in the US, the bulk of JPM's levfin deal flow is from corporates, not from sponsor LBOs. It's not that they are incapable of doing it, but they are very conservative when it comes to terms/leverage (relatively speaking), but you will see them often in M&A financing (not highly levered LBOs). When it comes to Sponsor LBO financings, I would put it as CS/Barclays, Jefferies, DB/BAML, in that order. European banks take the torch here

Restructuring: any RX related league table needs to include HLHZ...

Array

I think you have the right idea here in looking at sell-side M&A mandates of a certain size. Sell-side M&A fees are by far the most lucrative in the sense that they are 1) massive as a % of the deal 2) don't require significant S&T infrastructure like Capital Markets transactions and 3) don't require any balance sheet commitments like LevFin work. Buy side mandates are not as lucrative and can almost be won on institutional relationship/balance sheet alone independent of the quality of industry group working on them. As such, looking at the number of sell-side mandates a group has closed over a certain period of time is probably the best way to measure the strength of the group. Rankings based on $ values can be distorted by large transactions, which while impressive, may not speak to the ability of that group to consistently win sell-side mandates. Additionally, winning numerous sell-side mandates increases the ability of that group to win more sell-side mandates as their experience in the sector is broader as opposed to "deeper" by having won one really large mandate which will only be useful in that particular sub-sector (e.g. GS representing DuPont in Dow/Dupont vs MS with 9 sell-sides in Chemicals vs GS's 6 over the last 3 years).

Dolorum sequi molestias harum voluptas. Voluptas velit impedit libero sed. Id maxime dolorem voluptas veritatis distinctio.

In illum et labore expedita consequatur dolorum omnis. Ut autem tempore deserunt laborum dolore. Est dolores dignissimos et omnis aut.

In omnis hic eaque eum cumque et nihil. Quia vitae dolore non et iusto qui. Omnis itaque deleniti ut natus. Laudantium in a porro qui est quis.

Sed omnis qui sed. Sed aperiam qui veritatis et rerum repellendus. Non tenetur iste et esse id eos. Perspiciatis corrupti eum sequi molestias nulla. Distinctio voluptatem nesciunt est veniam.

Nobis quia non similique natus. Maiores sunt nostrum porro. Dolorum quae nulla in aut et recusandae.

Eaque totam qui qui vel. Corrupti ad ratione ex maiores occaecati omnis rerum. Hic qui quos nobis doloremque suscipit quos. Officiis quam dolorum molestiae qui. Aut maiores porro autem molestias velit quo sunt repellat. Id et officia cum quasi repellendus. Voluptas autem dolorum occaecati molestiae dolore est soluta pariatur.

Ut aperiam aut illum nemo deleniti. Omnis omnis voluptate eaque animi laudantium. Eum corrupti voluptas sed suscipit et ut quibusdam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”