2023 Recruitment Official IB Rankings (Post-CS)

Sophomores, please use this as gospel during recruiting as these rankings have been verified by a committee at my target, the Wharton School.

Tier 1:
GS, MS, EVR, CVP, Qatalyst, PJT

Tier 1.5:
JPM, Moelis, Lazard

Tier 3:
BofA, Citi, Barclays, PWP

Tier 3.5:
Guggenheim, Greenhill

Tier 3.75
UBS, DB

Tier 4:
Jefferies, RBC, HL (M&A), LionTree

Tier 4.5:
Allen & Co, Raine, Gordon Dyal

Tier 5:
William Blair, Rothschild, Solomon, Ardea

Tier 5.5:
Baird, Ducera, FT Partners

Tier 6:
Wells Fargo, Piper Sandler, Raymond James, Harris Williams, TD Cowen

Tier 6.5:
Macquarie, BMO, Truist

Tier 7:
Stifel, DC Advisory, Stephens, Shea, Citizens

Tier 7.5
Mizuho, BGL

If your bank did not make the list it probably sucks pretty hard.

Expecting monkey shit will probably come from Rothschild/Solomon Partners analysts who think they are an EB, and RBC/WF analysts thinking they are a BB so do not have that distract you from the accuracy of this post.

Bump I am actually recruiting so would like to know lol. Always hear that Greenhill exits are still good despite recent fall in deal flow/rep.

Father Patrick Curtis, please bestow upon us a chat for professionals I beg of thee

Controversial

Redone by a professional. We can hairsplit, but the reality is most shops are pretty similar and equivalent. Top groups outperform rankings and there is variance at every bank.

Tier 1 (clear top)
GS, MS, EVR, CVP, Qatalyst, 

Tier 1.5: (doesn’t limit exit options aside from like GS exclusive type shops)
JPM, PJT, Barclays, Citi, BofA, CS (unclear their future, but whatever spinoff occurs), Laz, PWP, Moelis

Tier 2: (Everyone respects your background if they have ever sold a company and aren’t an undergrad, or a first year)
UBS, DB, Gugg, Greenhill, Jeff, HL, WB

Tier 3: (Great shops that have a smaller recruiting presence, but you likely worked on legit deals, some even big ticket)
RBC, liontree, Allen, Raine, Gordon Dyal, Roth, Solomon, Ardea, Baird, FT, Ducera, Raymond, HW, Piper Sandler, WF

Tier 4: (You were a banking analyst, but let’s be honest, a shop above you likely want to lateral to)

MacquarieBMO, Truist, TD, Stifel, DC Advisory, Stephens, Shea, Citizens, Mizuho, BGL

Tier 5: (the job function is a little different and you aren’t recruiting to a major PE shop) regional LMM IB banks

With all due respect this ranking is even worse than OP's. I don't know what your criteria is (exits, deal flow, analyst background), but your tier 1.5 and tier 2 rankings are completely off imo. Coming from a mid-level guy at Jefferies, there is no way that you can put Jefferies, HL, and WB at the same level as PWP, Moelis, and Lazard on exits and analyst background. Deal flow isn't even comparable given the very different business models between the companies.

How is 8 years of experience in IB and PE and a top MBA? It’s fine if you disagree, the reality is most these groups are pretty interchangeable. I was tempted to lump the whole middle together tbh, but kept a little rankings for spice.

I think once you have been in the industry for a few years, you just aren’t going to view a Moelis and Jeff guy different. Also, I think you are kidding yourself if you think those candidates aren’t able to get similar looks from UMM firms. As for “deal flow” it’s so group dependent, you have no idea. Does a top group at Moelis or Lazard prob outperform? Yeah, sure. But generally, no one is disrespecting the background of the shops in that category. You are working at an elite institution and each have various pros and cons.

Yo okay too many real verified FT professionals here I stirred the pot too much I just wanted to semi shit post

I wouldn’t flatter yourself, I’m pretty sure it’s first years :). Good luck with recruiting and if my ranking is any indication—no one really ranks firms and candidates are much more in the drivers seat than they realize. Fwiw, none of my most successful friends are in PE or followed common recruiting paths, all spun out to pursue an individual venture or went to a hedge fund.

If judging by exits, the rankings honestly just be:

Tier 1: GS (has all the looks everyone else gets + looks from certain shops that heavily prefer GS over everyone else eg. CD&R)

Tier 1.5: JPM, MS, Evercore, Lazard (step above Tier 2 in terms of consistency of exits every year, and no it's not fair to bifurcate PJT and put RSSG here when no other firm gets dissected by group in the rankings)

Tier 2: Mid-BBs + rest of the EBs

Tier 3: Top MMs and bottom BBs

Tier 4: Everyone else.

Anything more complex is unnecessary and stupid.

If judging by deal flow, it's completely dependent on firm, as each firm has different strengths (HW's arguably the best with generic MM sponsor sell-sides, Blair with MM Tech sponsor sell-sides, CVP and PWP at large-cap strategic advisory, PJT with RX, etc). If judging by place to work, that's wherever you enjoy the culture, have senior support and mentorship, and get responsibility.

Agreed and SBed. Will say that just from CD&R's website, by filtering investment team and US associates, there are 9 GS, 5 MS, and 5 JPM. Maybe its become more even over the years.

So confused about LAZ on this forum. Seems to have a long history of consistent MF/UMM exits similar to EVR, but is never quite put on Tier 1 (vs. Tier 1.5).

What are some thoughts?

Basically, if you even have to think about exiting from Qatalyst, you'll get looks everywhere in traditional finance at least 

Yeah, this is incorrect. Everyone placing the BBs in their own tier has no idea what they're talking about. Maybe in the 2000s, but the fact is that the smartest and most hardo kids have been increasingly snatched by EBs, and objectively those kids are the ones who do the best on-cycle. 

A top group at a top EB kills even top groups at top BBs on a person-for-person basis any day. re "GS-exclusive shops" - you are not using one of your two on-cycle chances to apply to CD&R if you can get APO/BX/KKR - which is somewhat likely if HALF of your entire analyst class is headed there.

Just go to APO's LinkedIn page yourself and see where the associates come from. A cursory look at LinkedIn also shows countless people who have left top groups at GS/MS from the summer for FT at an EB (GS TMT NY --> Q, GS FIG --> HL RX, JPM HC --> PJT RSSG), but never the other way around. 

I love how interns / college kids always chime with EB > BB despite 5+ employees at actual PE shops on this literal thread agreeing that GS/MS > the rest. i think recruiting so early in college makes college kids think EB > BB until they get actual work experience and realize EBs go first because they're afraid all the good kids will go to GS/MS.

Just as a heads up, EBs do go first and so often they get the kids who prepared the earliest. Those same kids are likely going to be prepared for PE recruiting which is why you'll see representation at certain PE shops. Its very much a function of correlation rather than causation that may not be clear until you've experience PE recruiting.

Hold on - I am not disagreeing with you. Past a certain point, all this prestige-tiering bullshit is useless because you'll get interviews at the places you want, and then it depends on how much you kill the interviews. My original point was that "placing the BBs in their own tier" is blatantly incorrect for that exact reason, as well as saying "GS/MS > the rest". 

I said that top EB groups kill top BB groups in terms of on-cycle placements, not because of the name, but because candidates are generally more prepped and/or sharper (having a 10-person class also makes it statistically easier to place 50%+ into MF/UMM). But this also means that the kids who self-select into top EBs are thereby much more likely to fit this profile and do better on-cycle. Anecdotes from employees working at PE shops are useful, but they're just that -- anecdotes and personal perspectives. I also know multiple PE professionals who came from and thus favor EB kids. 

If you want to look at an objective metric, APO took this year's ASO class almost entirely from PJT and EVR. There's a similar slant to their past ASO classes. Just like how CD&R favors GS over everyone else, you could say the same about other MFs heavily favoring certain EB groups.

Does this make them better than everyone else? No! But people on this thread are arguing it does for GS/MS, which I don't believe to be true.

Ad rerum eum iste sit suscipit. Quam consequatur quo consequatur sapiente repellat ratione. Minus et aperiam non provident dicta in voluptas voluptas. Et aliquam porro excepturi aspernatur et.

Et eum sit exercitationem aliquid quia. Pariatur ullam assumenda est voluptas iusto.

Quae itaque fugit nesciunt eos eos possimus qui. Aspernatur quisquam qui fugiat tempora. Ut ut nobis enim modi voluptatem consectetur labore. Non quos et voluptatum consectetur et sit.

Ut rem nihil ex vero dicta. Velit suscipit doloribus odit. Eos eaque nostrum similique nam aperiam consequatur aut.

Quo voluptatem recusandae ut veritatis est occaecati tenetur. Laboriosam et quam amet in perspiciatis mollitia dolorum id. Nulla expedita nihil eaque voluptas aliquid. Facilis esse vel corporis incidunt dolorum.

Corrupti iste quod earum sunt id dicta molestias. Earum adipisci incidunt ad dolor molestiae aspernatur. Qui quis ratione voluptate libero. Sit odit autem aperiam voluptatem reprehenderit nihil. Dolorem in alias et omnis recusandae.

Aut fugiat enim ut consequatur velit. Sunt neque vitae tempore. Omnis non voluptatem mollitia laboriosam ducimus. Excepturi modi autem eaque a unde. Ipsa et modi architecto neque sed delectus et. Quibusdam id distinctio labore voluptas.

Occaecati voluptas vel nostrum suscipit aspernatur iusto ratione. Ullam doloremque vitae quia voluptatem. Velit neque quisquam voluptates. Alias praesentium qui inventore assumenda iste quibusdam qui suscipit. Quis eius eum quos at dicta non.

Modi magnam dolore natus. Autem sed reiciendis et aliquid ex itaque. Repellat molestias autem exercitationem cumque et quaerat. Molestiae minus velit similique eveniet.

Alias rem qui cum dignissimos tempora sapiente. Cupiditate quo qui voluptatem molestiae et et. Deleniti reiciendis nulla sed dicta est sit necessitatibus.

Et nobis vitae voluptatem vitae soluta quas officia. Quos ut et est quia. Quia exercitationem voluptates id deserunt commodi.

Officia consequatur excepturi id repellendus et cumque repellat. Consequatur repellat tenetur ad dignissimos. Impedit sed voluptatem voluptatibus amet aut sunt natus molestias. Ex laboriosam veritatis voluptates enim quibusdam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”