BAML GTS or UBS IB Summer 2020?

Hey guys. There are a few factors that I'm considering with these offers. (Keep in mind that I have already accepted BAML due to the fact that it had a short deadline and my UBS superday couldn't be moved up before the deadline)

IF I TAKE BAML
PROS
- I like the company better
- Company has a better brand name/deal flow
- I could potentially move internally to BAML IB (a stretch but still possible)

CONS
- It's not IB (my ideal role)

IF I TAKE UBS
PROS
- It's IB (my ideal role)
- Easier to move to other IB positions at other banks for FT

CONS
- Probably will get blacklisted from BAML
- My college would hate that I reneged
- A finance organization that I am a part of at school will hate that I reneged (probably cut ties)
- Not as good of a company in terms of deal flow and rep on the street

PLEASE help me figure out what option is best for me. I'm terrified of having bad blood with BAML (and I'm an idiot and added some interviewers from the process on linkedin).

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Have you had a candid conversation with an older mentor or faculty member in your club or at your school? I think that is where I would start. If the reaction is supportive of your interests, you may get a better feel for what you would gain from reneging. If the reaction is negative, you have a better idea of the bridges you would have to burn, and will be more informed on whether that is a sacrifice you are willing to make. Either way, you should try to get honest feedback to help you gauge the upside/downside for both options from an outside viewpoint. In any case, congratulations on the offer, and at least give yourself some credit knowing that it is a good problem to have!

I ended up going through with it and thankfully it didn't seem as bad as I had anticipated. I did get a call from the recruiter unexpectedly asking more about my reasoning/where I will be going and because I was so unprepared I rambled and didn't give as good of an answer, but she did seem pretty understanding so I'll take it lol

Thanks! I ended up taking the UBS offer. Thankfully the finance club was actually happy for me and recommended I renege lmao. And I'm meeting with someone in the GTS group at BAML next week for coffee, so I'm pretty grateful with how it worked out

Quo incidunt quibusdam voluptates veritatis illum minus. Nobis enim atque nulla aut ipsum velit ea. Sint facere tempore laboriosam nesciunt dicta molestiae est ex. Iste cumque hic voluptatum et iusto voluptas aut.

Dayman?

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”