Stifel 2021 London Graduate Programme and Reputation

Got a final round interview at Stifel for their London graduate programme. I'm attracted to the good salary (50k base) and smart analysts (1st class imperial / lse grads as seen on LinkedIn). I have some related questions I hope someone on here can clarify, which will help future London applicants.

Due to COVID, I've not had the opportunity to speak to any of their analysts; unsure how the culture is in the London office - how are the hours / relationship with seniors / career development?

Having only read online, US rep is somewhat poor, but I've seen ECM league tables and they are strong; heard the FIG and tech groups are decent too for M&A, but obviously alot less reputable than US / EB firms. Looking to just get foot in the door, will think about lateraling later as this is fairly common in UK right?

For background, I did an IBD summer at a BB but did not convert, even though I received good feedback. I enjoyed the internship (albeit virtual) and would consider a long term career in finance. VP said he'd help with a reference, unfortunately the team I was in didn't convert any of the interns.

TL;DR - I'm looking for a general recent insight of Stifel in London.

Thanks

I’m in the same boat. How soon is your AC? I didn’t get converted from my SA internship and the Stifel programme seemed good, so I applied. However, I haven’t heard much about the company and idk how easy it is to move somewhere else / exit to PE after. Are you undergrad or grad? If you’re undergrad, you could always do Stifel for 2 years, then do a Master’s and then go to another company. But that’s just me, feel free to PM me. Also if anyone knows anything about Stifel hours and work/life balance that would be very useful.

Thanks for the reply. I'm not massively invested in the whole IB -> PE route, I don't speak many languages and I am comfortable with the idea of working in IB for a longer period.

I'm currently on an integrated masters course, however I think it's extremely uncommon to do two years as an analyst and then do an MSc. I'd consider an MBA later, however I don't think it's necessary for a career in IB, provided you start out in finance.

My AC is in a couple weeks but no idea what to expect, bright network are handling it. I agree, very little info on Stifel in London. Glassdoor reviews are mixed.

Didn't realize Numis had such a bad rep in London lol, I think they've been acquired by Laz? Know a guy there on their venture capital broking team, he always asking me about other opps

Can only judge from LinkedIn, looks like a handful not people (

Is bright network handling Stifel London recruitment now???? LMFAOOO

Most Helpful

I'll answer your questions in the order of your post:

1) Culture: relatively good, most people are nice and not many d**ckheads like other banks

2) hours: typical IB hours but on average a lot better than the BB/EBs; it also depends on the team

3) relationship with seniors: flat structure so exposure to seniors is better than almost every other IB

4) career development: you'll receive a lot more responsibility than other banks especially the BBs; the graduate analyst programme is longer than usual so progression to associate will take longer as Stifel have a 3.5 year analyst programme instead of the normal 2 years BB/EBs have in London; also career development depends on the team as some teams have better deal flow than others, some teams focus on ECM and others focus on M&A so this will impact skill set learned and exit ops; also worth noting Stifel do a lot of corporate broking so best to familiarise yourself with that

5) reputation: depends on each team, Tech M&A is very good (competes with Jefferies/Arma etc), Real Estate ECM is very strong (mainly competes with JPM, Jefferies etc), KBW (FIG) is also good they did the $800m tilney/S&w transaction

6) lateralling: most don't leave because of the good culture but lateralling to other IBs is very possible and easy to do, half the people at Jefferies came from Stifel and half the people at Stifel come from Jefferies.. they're eachothers main competitor, other competitors include other corporate brokers such as numis etc 

Hope this helps and good luck with the process

I had about 15 minutes fit, 25 minutes technicals. Really tried to trip me up. IMO, I tried to be honest with my fit questions and I don't think the main VP liked my answers. RE feedback, they said we can expect to hear sometime next week. I'm 90% sure this is first round and there is an AC after, but I have a small feeling this potentially could've been final round since today was the only day of interviews...

Is it worth moving to Jefferies from Stifel Tech team for better exits?
Stifel exits are usually limited to other MMs

Hey mate,

I got an offer for an Analyst position at Stifel and declined it.

Reputation is unfortunately rather bad, think Big 4 corp fin, Truist, Lincoln and similar. Exit opps seems to be non-existent, just do your Linkedin research and you'll see that analysts exit to better UMM banks such as Jefferies, HL, WB, Baird etc or smaller boutiques (Arma or similar). Also, the 50k base isn't really something to be attracted by, right? Good MM players pay c. 70k for Analyst 1 after this years increase in compensation. Lastly, the analyst class does not seem to be that impressive, based on previous experience and education.

I do know that their tech team is growing though and win some impressive mandates in Europe, however still not worth in my opinion. 

Let me know if you have any questions!

Hi Guys,

I have an online pre-recorded video interview with Stifel for their graduate position through Bright Network. Seems like you guys have gone through the entire process, would greatly appreciate some tips and pointers on what to expect from the pre-recorded video interview and the AC (final stage).

Many thanks

Anyone know the 2022 grad starting salary? Still £50k or have they bumped for this year?

Quibusdam similique qui optio. Animi in id eveniet id aspernatur ab.

Rem qui fugiat reiciendis numquam culpa quia. Totam quia excepturi rerum rerum quo. Molestiae qui temporibus modi repudiandae rerum eum a libero. Eos libero ut nobis dignissimos. In aliquam dolorem harum aut veritatis sequi.

Similique sunt nemo aut molestiae quis. A illo ea blanditiis voluptatem. Odio aut esse quisquam quaerat eaque quisquam. Consectetur sed maiores ratione.

Natus magnam provident consequatur et consequuntur ea. Expedita deleniti ea praesentium dolor dolor voluptas molestias. Ducimus iusto hic nihil exercitationem voluptates praesentium praesentium necessitatibus. Nihil velit aliquam sed ipsum ab laudantium qui. Quo distinctio corporis aspernatur fugit enim magnam pariatur et.

Libero et sit illo voluptas consequuntur occaecati dolorum. Id non qui autem suscipit provident odio quia. Quia reiciendis nam distinctio libero laborum.

Delectus et repellendus assumenda nihil. Et aut ex quaerat illo officiis ab. Qui dolores enim sed ducimus. Quae omnis dolores quibusdam dolorem omnis.

Explicabo praesentium velit cupiditate recusandae aut sunt deserunt. Qui quam quibusdam dicta vel debitis. Ut non vero sed cupiditate est. Qui officiis saepe quo voluptas quo. Non repudiandae dolor provident repellat expedita.

Deserunt ducimus magni quibusdam sed veritatis quos. Sequi ea eos fuga nulla sint soluta officia. Cumque vero omnis optio sapiente. Possimus aperiam unde quis voluptate ad maxime iure. Dicta iure blanditiis quis.

In non debitis veritatis non. Molestiae ipsam consequatur aperiam eveniet. Dignissimos eaque aut et sequi.

Dolor odio repudiandae reprehenderit totam maiores ratione. Ullam sed aut et. Dolor velit laudantium consequatur est qui dolore.

Excepturi nemo nihil labore et itaque. Nesciunt alias ut et occaecati labore molestiae. Est suscipit et officia iste quia.

Ab ipsa aperiam sit vel. Vitae et aperiam quae expedita qui unde assumenda. Dolorum quia eveniet tempore voluptatibus laudantium et atque delectus. Quo sint qui sed ex.

Est eos et ea quas mollitia aut. Voluptas voluptate natus et nam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”