SVB vs. Guggenheim Healthcare? Which Bank is Better in 2022?

which firm is better in healthcare? I know the answer a year or two ago would have hands down been Guggenheim, but SVB has taken major strides in healthcare in the past year, with some of their biggest accomplishments having recently been the lead sell-side advisor in the $6bn sale of LHC Group to UnitedHealth, lead bookrunner on the $3.3bn IPO of Komondo Health this summer, and co-advising on the $1.9bn sale of Zogenix and the $3.3bn sale of Dicerna. Coincidentally, according to Axios, "SVB’s big push into M&A advisory started with the February 2021 appointment of heavy hitter Barry Blake. The bank poached Blake from Guggenheim Securities, naming him global co-head of investment banking. Shortly after, Robert Minear from Guggenheim jumped ship to steer SVB’s financial sponsor origination efforts."

Given all the recent developments, which firm has a better healthcare practice?

If you just want to work on specific subverticals, Gugg since they have specific vertical teams (all of which are strong)

If you want to get a more of a generalist experience in Healthcare, SVBL is better.

I can't speak to svb but as someone at gugg but not in a hc group I can say without a doubt all three verticals are top groups on the street and compete with healthcare heavy-hitters like jpm and gs, especially on the hcs side. Medtech at gugg is still probably the best on the street in terms of deal flow. Biopharma still holds the pfizer relationship. The flipside is that it's sweaty as fuck aside from biopharm. 

How are the exits for healthcare analysts and does it vary significantly between specific healthcare groups? Would really appreciate your insight

Is it just me or has Guggenheim absolutely tanked in the M&A tables? I had to pull some data a few days ago and saw them somewhere way down but didn’t really look into it beyond that. 

I noticed they are well below last year, as well. Would love to hear if this because perhaps their year is backloaded, or does this sometimes happen with EBs/MMs -- their yearly ranking (deal-wise) can swing fairly dramatically from one year to the next? 

I mean, high level thoughts here, but a lot of the independents will have years where they work on a few massive deals which shoots them up the tables from a txn value basis but then they won’t have the same next year which brings them lower. Not necessarily specific to Gugg but my cursory glance of the tables looked like they have fallen considerably. 

Oh, wow. Wonder if they're going to brace you guys for lower bonuses. Curious as to how that will be received, since Gugg is known as paying near top of the Street. 

Dicta sit qui ipsum et illo reiciendis enim. Aut commodi rerum facilis mollitia. Ut nihil dolores voluptas est ex. Quis magni vero fuga sit inventore.

Asperiores doloribus officiis error non minus exercitationem ut. Praesentium iste ea illo repellat adipisci. Soluta eligendi occaecati nobis aut. Ullam fuga repellat repudiandae adipisci.

Pariatur velit commodi aliquid magnam cumque. Cupiditate cupiditate et velit culpa odit atque sequi veritatis. Sint consequatur modi officia quidem non atque ea. Quia autem est aut quisquam ullam aperiam nihil. Sint aut sequi ut magnam voluptas architecto. Quae provident vel vero eum omnis soluta. Modi inventore et aut facere excepturi. Eveniet veritatis est accusamus et quod possimus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”