SVB vs. Guggenheim Healthcare? Which Bank is Better in 2022?

which firm is better in healthcare? I know the answer a year or two ago would have hands down been Guggenheim, but SVB has taken major strides in healthcare in the past year, with some of their biggest accomplishments having recently been the lead sell-side advisor in the $6bn sale of LHC Group to UnitedHealth, lead bookrunner on the $3.3bn IPO of Komondo Health this summer, and co-advising on the $1.9bn sale of Zogenix and the $3.3bn sale of Dicerna. Coincidentally, according to Axios, "SVB's big push into M&A advisory started with the February 2021 appointment of heavy hitter Barry Blake. The bank poached Blake from Guggenheim Securities, naming him global co-head of investment banking. Shortly after, Robert Minear from Guggenheim jumped ship to steer SVB's financial sponsor origination efforts."

Given all the recent developments, which firm has a better healthcare practice?

Comments (28)

• Business School in CorpStrat
Apr 4, 2022 - 12:39pm

If you just want to work on specific subverticals, Gugg since they have specific vertical teams (all of which are strong)

If you want to get a more of a generalist experience in Healthcare, SVBL is better.

• Associate 3 in ER
Apr 6, 2022 - 6:58am

Similar tier but SVB has more deal flow and usually smaller in size. Have heard similar comp levels as well. Pick based on team fit, location, and long term career potential. 

• Analyst 1 in IB - Gen
Apr 6, 2022 - 10:21am

I can't speak to svb but as someone at gugg but not in a hc group I can say without a doubt all three verticals are top groups on the street and compete with healthcare heavy-hitters like jpm and gs, especially on the hcs side. Medtech at gugg is still probably the best on the street in terms of deal flow. Biopharma still holds the pfizer relationship. The flipside is that it's sweaty as fuck aside from biopharm. 

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Aug 13, 2022 - 3:33pm

How are the exits for healthcare analysts and does it vary significantly between specific healthcare groups? Would really appreciate your insight

Jun 17, 2022 - 2:59pm
ITNAmatter, what's your opinion? Comment below:

How is SVB total comp?

path less traveled

• Associate 1 in IB - Cov
Aug 13, 2022 - 8:13pm

Is it just me or has Guggenheim absolutely tanked in the M&A tables? I had to pull some data a few days ago and saw them somewhere way down but didn't really look into it beyond that. 

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Aug 13, 2022 - 8:33pm

I noticed they are well below last year, as well. Would love to hear if this because perhaps their year is backloaded, or does this sometimes happen with EBs/MMs -- their yearly ranking (deal-wise) can swing fairly dramatically from one year to the next? 

• Associate 1 in IB - Cov
Aug 14, 2022 - 11:44am

I mean, high level thoughts here, but a lot of the independents will have years where they work on a few massive deals which shoots them up the tables from a txn value basis but then they won't have the same next year which brings them lower. Not necessarily specific to Gugg but my cursory glance of the tables looked like they have fallen considerably. 

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Aug 14, 2022 - 4:00pm

Wow, all-hands call? Did they say what it's about? Did you guys have one of those last year? 

• Analyst 2 in IB-M&A
Aug 14, 2022 - 4:55pm

Quidem voluptatibus impedit laborum nihil. Officia placeat sit at hic adipisci perspiciatis dolor placeat. Architecto sapiente aut doloremque quia esse. Nisi illum et doloremque ut tempore repellat.

Suscipit et ex omnis debitis ut. Voluptatem harum recusandae eos consequuntur voluptas et a.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Aug 14, 2022 - 4:57pm

Sunt blanditiis nobis inventore aspernatur qui delectus ex. In architecto enim repudiandae recusandae eveniet id. Et laborum sunt omnis. Sapiente aliquam aut ut eius ratione. Dolores earum dicta dolores quo.

Laboriosam deserunt quae aut quaerat suscipit iusto. Id totam et exercitationem reprehenderit ut voluptas omnis dolores.

Start Discussion

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2022 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company (▲05) 99.6%
  • Lincoln International (= =) 99.2%
  • Bank of America Merrill Lynch (▲04) 98.9%
  • Financial Technology Partners (+ +) 98.5%
  • Evercore (▽02) 98.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2022 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company (▲12) 99.6%
  • Evercore (▲03) 99.2%