2024 FT Recruiting for Students with SA offers in hand

I'm a junior in college and was fortunate enough to get a SA 2023 offer. While I'm excited about my current firm, I realize that most people still recruit for FT positions as a backup if return offers don't work out.

Recent grads told me that they recruited FT around August after their SA finished. Also, heard that networking/chats are done during the summer/ SA stint.

I noticed insight partners had opened apps super early and they're saying networking is Jan/Feb for FT 2024 (on their monthly career newsletter), which I think is absurd since I didn't even start my SA stint and haven't given my offer a chance.

I'm concerned that networking too early for FT 2024 may be viewed upon negatively, or is insight the only place I should network early?

How do I approach FT 2024 recruiting?

Most Helpful

I recruited FT in the Covid market (so the context here is the recruiting market was similarly challenging during the time but then in the following year, there was a hiring spree). My advice is to focus on doing well in your summer internship. Try and put in the work cause yes, its probably going to be brutal, and you really can not escape how small the industry / how much bankers like to talk. If you are able to get your team to say positive things about you, it honestly really helps. 

Don't reach out too early. I really dont see the point. Now that I'm on the other side, I would want my future analyst to be taking the time in the first few weeks of their internship to be actually focused on learning. I'd be asking questions if you are two weeks in your SA and chatting to another firm about FT. we also dont know our headcount until we decide if we like our summers - usually, the headcount we are coffeeing to fill is cause we know the current SA class would have openings, and that would only happen if we had a good enough gage of our analysts. I would say start reaching out early / mid July, August is totally fair game.

Don't give up!! it is so so challenging because off cycle / FT is a lot less structured than summer internships but please approach this process with the mentality that this is only a job, and you only need one. The more interviews you have, the more reps you have, the closer you are to securing that single job you need. Banking is very cyclical and reactionary, i remember having zero motivation to prep cause I thought there would be no more chances, just to be caught unprepared when the next interview came.... and in my experience, the entire market changed, so keep at it, this is the endurance portion! Recruiting doesn't define you and best of luck!!

You won’t get an offer in time before your SA offer expires. Networking during summer doesn’t work, groups don’t even know what their own return rates are going to be. You can network the last week of July. But like I said before, you won’t get an offer until Late September/August for Ft recruiting. Which means your other offer with have expired.

Assumenda atque inventore commodi repellat. Est accusantium quod fuga tenetur labore. Quae provident excepturi aut debitis sunt porro amet sint. Cupiditate omnis provident odit error non.

Sunt expedita et minima molestiae minima asperiores voluptas. Ut quod vel nobis neque consequatur voluptate nihil.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”