Junior In College Who Missed Summer 2022 Recruiting

I have become passionate about banking and finance this past 6 months. To my dismay, I see that I'm late to the recruiting game. I don't entirely understand the industry or the technicals. My GPA is a 3.5 and I go to the Kelley business school. I'm trying my best to learn but reality is I probably won't get an internship for summer 22.I'm feeling lost and desperate to position myself the best I can. What are somethings I should focus on right now to position myself better for recruiting my senior year or to do a lateral move after graduation and my first job?Any advice is appreciated.

25 Comments
 
Most Helpful

it's basically too late at this point if you're just getting started now at least for an internship. Would recommend shooting for a boutique IB internship for summer 22. Then I'd roll the dice on full time recruiting at a more established player. If that doesn't work out, which I would say is the most likely scenario given your GPA/non-IBW status, go and apply to a one year MSF program at a target. There are a few out there that are good, Georgetown, Vanderbilt for example. Recruit for full time out of that program 

 

Hey, could I PM you? In a similar boat and would love to hear from your experience.

 

Definitely try and get an internship at a boutique or LMM firm. MSF is a good choice as well, I went with delaying my graduation a semester to graduate in the winter, giving myself another shot at recruiting.

I landed a boutique internship for the spring and a LMM for the summer of my Junior year then delayed and managed to secure offers at an EB and 2 top BB's for SA 2022 with bad GPA.

 

Wow! That’s impressive. Are there any courses, books, or resources you recommend to put me at the top of the game? Right now I’m taking the wso and financial edge courses, as well as Bloomberg terminal certificate course.

 

The classic BIWS 400 question guide is pretty good and if you understand that BB interviews should be pretty easy technically. For EB prep, it was much more obscure and actually understanding the material especially for LBO and accounting for my Moelis interviews.

Modeling courses aren't necessary at all and imo a waste of time. Understand the basics like the back of your hand and technical portion of the interviews shouldn't be a problem. 

 

Either get an MSF which will extend graduation by 1 year, or just push graduation back 1 semester, which effectively lets you recruit AS IF you're a full year behind.E.g., this fall you'd be a sophomore by graduation date that would graduate 1 semester early. Oftentimes, banks will give you the option to start early. 

"Markets can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
 

Delaying graduation a semester or planning on taking an MSF are solid options. Delaying graduation might also make it possible to apply for the IBW. 

Other general advice: Avoid doxing yourself. By using fmlastname format for username and telling the Internet where you go to school, you just shared your identity with the world.  If you do dox yourself, make sure that you proofread what you have written for typos/grammar mistakes.

Do not be desperate or lost. You do not have to get Goldman straight out of school. Get a seat at the table, work your ass off, and then get to where you belong/want to go. Be the best analyst at a less prestigious bank and lateral. And banking is not life. There are plenty of better jobs.

 

Thank you for the heads up. I understand that there are probably way better jobs out there. For me, it is not about the job. It is about meeting my potential. I am not going to get into personal matters. But, I want to prove to myself just how far I can be pushed. The leaked reports from Goldman Sachs that came out a few months ago about the emotional and physical turmoil analysts went through motivated me. I want to face true adversity. A true challenge that will radically shift my paradigm. I choose IB because of the career implications and how it fits into my greater vision of the future.

 

Soluta distinctio eum voluptatibus exercitationem ut ipsum consequuntur. Consequuntur voluptate sit eaque eos. Deleniti et quia ea magni. Ut nemo fugiat voluptas minima animi.

Porro quaerat cupiditate velit consequatur. Eaque voluptate commodi deleniti deserunt. Nostrum similique et ipsum blanditiis assumenda.

 

Nulla necessitatibus ipsum ea maxime tenetur odit eius. Sit dolor voluptates perspiciatis sit tempore qui ex. Beatae quia tempore consequuntur alias et laudantium.

Sit cumque quia similique aut earum. Voluptas quod vitae sunt officia et deserunt. Exercitationem alias qui qui rerum repudiandae et. Fugiat adipisci non quod odio vitae incidunt dignissimos.

Hic sint necessitatibus nam quis enim quam sint. Numquam inventore dicta quasi quo rerum dolore a. A aut illum qui consequatur. Dignissimos porro accusantium deleniti quis.

Iure nihil architecto vel consequatur. Magni assumenda cupiditate officia occaecati. Eum mollitia nulla eaque eum quos et. Soluta eum fugit sed sit ipsam quidem quam. Aut repellendus necessitatibus esse eos.

Career Advancement Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Guggenheim Partners 02 97.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 06 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

September 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (56) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
3
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
4
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
7
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
8
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
9
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
10
bolo up's picture
bolo up
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”