May 2025 undergraduate grads… how are you doing navigating this competitive job market and industry?

I am having a really tough time navigating the market. Trying to use all of my universities alumni networks possible through LinkedIn and such to get an “in” to the industry. I may be overlooking this but after being “unemployed” for 6 months after graduating I think I might have to call it quits for the positions I was aiming for in this industry.

My background: I worked at a student run venture capital fund that acted like a traditional VC where the students were the ones doing the due diligence, founder interactions, memos, presentations, and investing. Real money on the line. I did that for a year, learned a lot and loved the experience.
My major was business management (concentration in entrepreneurship). I really want to break into the investment field and continue this type of work but it seems like I can’t even get an interview. I’ve applied to tons of “investment analyst” positions at different funds with different focuses such as renewable energy, real estate, or whatever else because I seem to meet the qualifications it says on the job posting. I also try to network with people at the companies whether they’re alumni from my university or not. I’ve gotten some referrals but I’m just beat from this job market. I don’t know if I’m actually qualified or not. I also don’t know many other finance people or how they’re doing so I hope to learn more from this post, but from my perspective I’m really struggling and might pivot to do something entirely different unfortunately. And I have no idea what I could do with my background other than investment analyst. I’d really appreciate any insight from whatever experience level. Thank you. I appreciate you reading post.

5 Comments
 
Most Helpful

Hey man, I’m going to honest at this point you should pivot to everything else in the market outside of finance. There are way too many people in the space—and every semi competent college graduate is aiming for these roles.

Branch out across verticals and be prepared to take something you never thought you would, paying standards lower—look outside NYC (if you haven’t).

Sorry to tell you this, brutal market: everyone is being overly preemptive about AI, pricing in the depressed incentive around entry level training, taking stock in perceived political uncertainty, and accounting in the devaluation of the college degree. The entire model of college to job is being upended in real time, those on the other side of the fence with specialized expertise will be priced expensively (lucky them).

 

May 25 grad here. Recruited for 6 months and just accepted an offer at a FoF. Don’t give up hope put your head down and keep applying and networking every single day. It’s a shit market but don’t let that stop you from giving it your all.

 

Qui tempora sapiente et delectus. Atque hic et molestiae dolores. Nobis ipsam rem eos et. Distinctio omnis praesentium aut praesentium amet repellendus asperiores.

Animi fugit incidunt aperiam. Quis et sed tempore aut ut. Voluptatem iste ea nulla est reiciendis. Ex dolorem dolores quia numquam facere.

Et quod ut rerum molestias reiciendis iusto aliquid. Officiis molestias blanditiis nisi blanditiis. Id nesciunt iusto est dignissimos aut.

Voluptatem ut dolores incidunt eius exercitationem. Rerum eaque illo qui. Assumenda vitae voluptas sed. Distinctio quisquam laboriosam reiciendis autem reiciendis. Quia cupiditate laborum architecto recusandae est ab temporibus. Quo velit porro aut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • JPMorgan 01 98.4%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.9%
  • Guggenheim Partners 01 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Moelis & Company No 99.5%
  • Morgan Stanley 02 98.9%
  • Evercore 01 98.4%
  • Banco Santander 02 97.9%
  • BMO Capital Markets 12 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Evercore 01 99.5%
  • Moelis & Company 01 98.9%
  • Morgan Stanley 05 98.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 01 97.9%
  • JPMorgan No 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

October 2026 Investment Banking

  • Vice President (16) $429
  • Associates (57) $264
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (8) $210
  • 2nd Year Analyst (28) $184
  • Intern/Summer Associate (16) $161
  • 1st Year Analyst (84) $151
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (76) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

1
redever's picture
redever
99.2
2
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
99.0
3
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
99.0
4
kanon's picture
kanon
99.0
5
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
98.9
6
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
98.9
7
dosk17's picture
dosk17
98.9
8
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
98.9
9
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
98.9
10
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
98.8
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”