Yeah I'm that incoming 2023 CS SA

Not sure what to do now.

Signed offer back in April, rejected GS/MS/JPM's MO offer, have a second IB offer (lower prestige than CS) on hand. Rejoining SA recruitment cycle seems to be too late, and prepping for FT seems to be too early.

Should I just accept the second offer as well and wait?

Take second offer. Renege on it if CS still looks to be fine by next summer. If CS cuts you and a lot of SA's, well you already accepted the other offer for a backup plan. Don't update Linkedin no matter what though

Most Helpful

Think everyone saying renege on CS right now is a bit premature. It’s not like your an FT analyst that could be unemployed in a month.

Worst case CS goes under and offers disappear. I promise FT recruiting at any bank, saying “I’d accepted an offer at CS before they went under” is a perfectly valid reason to be FT recruiting. No one is going to hold that against you and everyone will know CS was a great banking internship.

You’ll have clarity in the next few weeks and then 9 months before the internship starts. Seems silly to jeaporadize all of your offers based on nothing but rumors now.

This is my advice to incoming SAs - think current analysts or incoming FT are a bit different, but as an SA you have plenty of time to figure it out if the worst case scenario happens

This is a tougher spot IMO. You have just as little clarity, but the issue is you’re way more screwed in the worst case scenario since FT recruiting is 99% filled, and other “similar” industries (consulting, MMPE, etc) are also generally done recruiting.

My advice would be to start recruiting ASAP - if banking isn’t an option, what would you do? Big 4 lateral to banking? Finance at a startup? Corp dev at FAANg? Apply to any of these you find interesting.

IMO, since the renege here (chances are) isn’t CS -> competitor bank, there’s way less risk. Obviously if you can find a reputable IB go for it, but from what I’ve heard that’s basically done. The risks of CS finding out you recruited at Google is pretty low, so I don’t see why you wouldn’t start pursing these options.

I personally wouldn’t accept an offer until after the big announcement at end of Oct, but being in processes / having your recruiting at least in motion / potentially having an offer will put you light years ahead of the other incoming CS analysts - recruiting is hard enough without 200+ highly qualified candidates getting their offers pulled in a down economy and all fighting over the same spots

I would not be so worried about CS going under -- I interned there this summer and signed my offer. While I was there, 2 new direct hire analysts started in my group. I had another person reach out recently who just signed a FT offer after not interning with the bank. Don't think they would be continuing to hire if they were going to slash heads in a month. 

bump - looks like a spin off is becoming more likely. anyone have any idea how headcount will look?

I see the article from today.  I'm confused as to why an advisory SpinCo would need a capital injection.  I'd think it's normally the other way around.  The advisory business is capital light and only needs a little working capital, while the balance sheet side of the business is capital intensive.  Can see why advisory needs a little to work with and be competitive but should be an easy loan to get.  I'm obviously missing something.

They need capital for the levfin practice that would function alongside advisory in a spin-off. Also need capital to retain / attract senior talent. 

Ea nisi eveniet optio repellat et iste. Optio veniam iste labore. Est incidunt voluptatem quia ea. Quia qui rerum doloremque adipisci. Exercitationem illum distinctio dolores consectetur.

Et debitis et architecto qui maiores omnis possimus doloribus. Temporibus et itaque et ut voluptatum architecto hic. Vero quis consequatur qui totam. Totam nihil neque error tenetur.

Sunt sit et minima doloremque. Voluptatem nulla et temporibus repellat quia consequatur non. Quidem aut in sed autem debitis similique.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”