PC or Mac? 2020 Summer Intern

Hey everyone,

I am doing an IB internship this summer and it will be virtual bc of covid. I currently have a Macbook Pro Laptop. I have an external screen. I saw that a lot of people were saying to buy a PC for the summer? Why are they saying this? Are the excel and powerpoint shortcuts that much better? Also, would it work if I download Windows on my Mac? Basically, I don't have the money to buy another computer when this one works perfectly, but if it is needed I will. Let me know..

Buy a really cheap used one if you can, the excel shortcuts is going to save you a lot of time. Windows on your mac will work however I believe it takes up a lot of space, so double check with your Macbook.

PPT and Excel are much better on PC. I even bought a PC for use as my personal laptop -- despite having a perfectly good MacBook -- because I find the shortcuts much more intuitive.

You'll use a PC at most places you work, so I'd highly suggest buying one for the summer if your company doesn't provide one. You can find refurbished ThinkPads that are a few years old for

Still don't understand why people have yet to understand that Windows is superior in the business world. Also Do not download bootcamp or parallels. The people that are saying so are blindly giving you advice. Your laptop will be fried. Given that WFH is going to be the new standard just build yourself a good 6 or 8 core PC with at least 16gb ram and you'll be able to dominate during your internship.

Array

Most Helpful
kmasg:

The most he or she is gonna do is pull up excel spread sheets not play Skyrim on max settings lol

You've never had to simultaneously run Bloomberg, M* Direct, FactSet and a big excel before while simultaneously building a powerpoint, huh?

As an intern though, you'll be lucky if you get any of those systems outside of MS Office, but seriously, a decent bit of HP is a good idea. Depending on your macbook it may work for you in windows, but you may want to dual-boot instead of running an emulator, and a good keyboard and mouse (to go with the external monitor, which was a good call) is highly recommended. Seriously, our PMs and traders use 16 core i7 desktops with 64gb of RAM and higher end video cards to drive 6 monitors in the office.

My WFH setup includes my work laptop (new i7, 16gb) Personal desktop (older top of the line i5, 16gb) and personal laptop (lower end newer i5, 8gb) all at the same time, and I'm not even a trader.

RAM and a SSD are more important than the processor upgrade if you buy, btw. A video card will do nothing for you unless you're running a lot of monitors. I'd also suggest building your own desktop if you're mildly handy and have enough space. Everything's basically plug-and-play and doesn't involve more than plugging in connectors and a few screws. (the metallic kind, not the fun kind) An added bonus is that if you say "I need more X." You just buy the part and swap it in.

The only difference between Asset Management and Investment Research is assets. I generally see somebody I know on TV on Bloomberg/CNBC etc. once or twice a week. This sounds cool, until I remind myself that I see somebody I know on ESPN five days a week.

Itaque aut quis consectetur at aut ut facilis. Maiores expedita possimus et. Molestiae sed provident pariatur debitis vitae delectus. Omnis odio beatae nemo labore sint. Cumque quidem maiores dolores voluptas. Magni velit est reprehenderit amet non.

Laboriosam at quia eos dolores possimus laboriosam aut delectus. Quos optio hic eligendi. Neque aut est a dolorem qui unde.

Rerum sed vel sed id. Temporibus iste distinctio distinctio ipsa eum. Mollitia corporis voluptatem est culpa cumque et.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
bolo up's picture
bolo up
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”