Tempted by a luxury building, 3k rent on 100k salary. Should I bite?

So to preface I have never had a "nice" life before breaking into banking, I got into the entertainment industry as a result of this and was fine hunkering down for a few years to save money. Recently I went on a tour in a luxury building and boy i was blown away, I literally have never wanted to live somewhere so bad before. I thought I had a good grasp on why these things are a waste of money but seeing them up close really took my breath away. Having somewhere to lay your head where you feel uber successful is amazing.

I currently live in a shitbox in midtown on the grown floor and I start full time in Corporate Banking this July. This building is in LIC so commute would not be terrible and I know I'll love it. Its just the rent is 3k and I am meant to try and save as much as possible. Other apartments I am seeing are around 2k - 2.5k range and they aren't as nice and are in old ass buildings. I figure why not pay a grand more and live well. 

I always thought things that were labeled as luxury were stupid and waste of money but now I see why, its because I was never really exposed to it in person growing up.

What do you guys think? Is this going to eat too much out of my paycheck? I don't know how to calculate taxes but I guess I'll be on around 70k after so literally half my income before bonuses will be going into this building.

Most Helpful

$100K leaves you with $72K. Your annual rent would be $36K to literally half of you net income. Considering you'll have $3K left a month, you might be able to save $1-1.5K depending on how frugally you live. Is that what you want? I'd look at it this way:

Assuming you spend $1.5K a month, you would end up with $18K in savings after 1 year. If you lived somewhere that costs $2.5K, total savings would be $24K. Are those extra $6K worth it if you don't like your own apartment? And can you really only find shitholes for $2-2.5K?

Maybe its because its winter and people's leases arent up yet but for now yes I can only find tiny studios for around 2.5k in midtown and murray hill. Not necessarily shit holes though just not anything to write home about

Where do you guys live? You shouldn't dog people who are spending what you feel is too much money relative to their compensation in NYC because there aren't really options beyond that. $3k in NYC for something nice right now is on the very low end of the spectrum.

I was paying $2500 on a 90k base. Tbh it was a bit of a stretch, didnt save a ton of money after factoring in food costs. Is it possible to find a 2br in that same building and have a roommate? I bet that would likely bring it down to ~$2700 a person, which is still a ton. Corp banking bonuses arent anything to write home about, especially after taxes. 

If I were you I'd keep looking hard for a studio in an elevator building. Street Easy is the place everyone looks, but checking out the actual Agent's website (i.e., Compass) you might find things before they hit Street Easy. There's a large 2022 FT Roommate thread on WSO, lots of people moving in around the same time as you

Go all the way

[Comment removed by mod team]

will say do this especially when young and it will sting when people with similar incomes, and even Dave Ramseycels earning half your income, have a much higher net worth than you

My philosophy on rent vs buy is to rent but only if you can save additional money to invest

While I agree with the idea that it might be a waste of money. Aimlessly saving money your whole life is pointless. Even though I may not move in, philosophically it makes sense to enjoy my life the most I can, people who watch their net worth as a way to keep some arbitrary score against their peers will very likely die unhappy and look back on everything they missed out on in those final moments with despair. I saw a post like on reddit where the lady who was a surgeon regretted living like that. 

I'll rather live in a place like this now and enjoy the money I make, while I may have a lower net worth than those who didn't I guarantee my overall happiness would be much greater because I am spending on things I enjoy personally and not things to impress other people. 

Also read Die with Zero by Bill Perkins, it basically explains what I am trying to say. 

I dont disagree, but you can use that logic to justify any expense. They key is to spend money on what makes you really happy vs not, and a lot of time commercial products dont make you very happy.

It's also not about getting richer for the sake of being rich. Financial independence is an asset in and of itself, and a very very very valuable one at that.

I’m generally not one to talk down on someone for wanting to buy nice things like cars, houses, watches etc, but in this case I’m not sure it’s a smart thing to do. After tax your rent would almost be 40-50% of your income. On top of that you don’t have any equity in the place since it’s just renting. A depreciating car would give you more equity when you decide to get rid of it than a rental apartment. Id suggest to just downsize to something more affordable or actually buy an apartment if you’re going to live there long term. Id probably just wait until you make more income to move up to 3k rent. Many people think 100k is going to get them their dream life, but once you have it you realize that those nicer apartments in nyc need more like a 400-500k income to afford easily. 

Good point, i may not go ahead with it, but I'll definitely be moving in next year when I get promoted to A2 only to have 6-8 months of rent in case things go bad. I do not believe in saving money for no reason, I'll still have a 401k and other investments but a lot of my income will go towards living well

shm123456

I'm generally not one to talk down on someone for wanting to buy nice things like cars, houses, watches etc, but in this case I'm not sure it's a smart thing to do. After tax your rent would almost be 40-50% of your income. On top of that you don't have any equity in the place since it's just renting. A depreciating car would give you more equity when you decide to get rid of it than a rental apartment. Id suggest to just downsize to something more affordable or actually buy an apartment if you're going to live there long term. Id probably just wait until you make more income to move up to 3k rent. Many people think 100k is going to get them their dream life, but once you have it you realize that those nicer apartments in nyc need more like a 400-500k income to afford easily. 

Solid advice.  This is something I plan to do once I save enough to move out on my own - assuming we don't fall into a recession.

Build a budget and decide how you want to allocate your earnings. I wouldn’t be comfortable allocating that high % to rent and I definitely spend more on real estate than anything else. It is probably do-able, but you’re sacrificing the ability to spend a lot of money on food/drinks/experiences and savings. That said, if you work from home all week and spend most of your free time at home, it may not be the worst idea … but if that is the case, you probably shouldn’t be living in such a high cost of living area.

For what it is worth, I bought a condo in a luxury high rise with crazy amenities in the heart of Boston. I loved it. Definitely the best living I’ve experienced and something to work towards.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

I agree with this / 2-4BR place in the East Village would be my preference.

OP can get his own place in a few years - most people do it this way. I had roommates for all of my 20s then got my own place in my 30s.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

One of the worst things you can be in life is house poor. When the luxury wears off, you’re left with the feeling of watching $3k a month ripped out of your account and thinking about all the extra savings you could’ve had for experiences and other bills.

Don’t get me wrong, living in a shithole isn’t worth it either, but are the $2k apts really that bad in comparison?

I have friends spending 2.3-2.5k on a 90k salary and they feel like they're stretched real thin every month. 100k salary would equate to about 6k more a year would be the same as getting a 3k place on 100k. If you spend frugally or don't really care to save go for it. People have different philosophies on how they want to live their life. Being a young professional making good money can tempt you to want to spend most of it and enjoy the money you make. If that's your mindset go for it. However I'm someone who decided to stay remote for the time being to live at home and save that rent money in my pocket. All about how you want to live.

Most of the similar luxury buildings in JC go for $2.7-3k+ these days (even some 1 bedrooms well north of $4k) - plus the commute to midtown is a lot worse, PATH is hell on weekends and Ubers are less happy to take you to JC than LIC

That said $3k seems like a lot to live in LIC. I think $3k to live in Manhattan in your own (less nice but livable) place is much more justifiable - you'll never use any of those luxury building amenities, and being beholden to the 7 train kind of sucks

Array

Don't think I'd agree on the amenities - free (or significantly discounted) gym, most have peletons there, some have swimming pools, common areas would be used when socializing (done this plenty of times there), more outside space, cold storage for deliveries of food. There are definitely some gimmicks, like a movie projector in the outside common area - but LIC specifically were built so you had everything you needed in one place

I've looked at living in LIC, and have friends who also moved to an awesome penthouse apartment there. Almost pulled the trigger, but we decided at the last minute to not do it (in The Forge, which is just an absolutely amazing building).

Pros:

1) Most of the newer luxury buildings are going to be rent stabilized due to tax abatements. You'll be able to budget out incoming costs (would ask the mgmt if the apartment is stabilized under a 421-A or something similar)

2) Generally will get more bang for your buck in terms of space and condition

3) Nice amenities that can offset other expenses (gym, peleton, for example), great new building. Staff to help you and secure packages

Cons

1) There is still barely any infrastructure in LIC - a lot of under construction apartment buildings, but not a lot of grocers etc. Most people I spoke to had groceries delivered by Amazon, for example. Remember at this point it is up and coming. If you could buy there that would be a different story for potential upside.

2) Its a pain in the ass to get to, same thing goes for your friends and family wanting to visit (depending where they are of course). Commutes also aren't that great depending where you are in the city

3) Neighborhood can still be a bit dicey in areas if you're not too careful. Not a lot of good restaurants to go to, so the weekends will incur extra trips

4) It's technically Long Island...gross (kidding, sort of)

At the end of the day you should choose what's important to you. I don't think being in a nice apartment is a waste of money. I also think if it doesn't meet your budget/feel like your overextending or makes you second guess yourself, you should pass. You know your expenses better than anyone else, plus need to make sure you have an emergency fund. If you have someone that you can split an apartment with, even better.

These days its tough to find any deals like previously during COVID. And to be clear, too, I forced myself and then girlfriend to stay in a rent stabilized apartment in a walk-up, with probably one of the worst property managers I've seen and obnoxious tenants, to save money for 3-4 years. We decided to pass on the LIC for the reasons above. We then took advantage of a COVID deal last April in a luxury building in the UES. We also have dual income, which helps helps. But even so, the same layout apartments here on lower levels went for $500 above the base price. I'm nervous for that, but from a quality of life standpoint, its been amazing and worth the cost increase. The manager has a pretty large portfolio, so if you'd be interested in knowing who they are, PM me. 

I also want to note, which is important, the LIC luxury buildings were built to give you everything in one place, most likely because the other infrastructure of the surrounding area is just not built up yet. Everything you see in LIC you most likely will not see in the city unless you're getting way, way up there in price.

If you're staying in Manhattan - just know that unless you split with roommates theres a high probability you won't be in any new, nicer place, and fixtures or any amenities will be old/non-existent . Can see what deals are in places that usually are cheaper vs. other areas

hmm idk about this - a luxury building in FiDi vs LIC are about the same in price.

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." - Bruce Lee

I won't comment outright on your decision to do this or not because I tend to live frugally and what's for me may not be for the next guy. 

But I will say this, are you positive about your take-home calculations? From what I know of NY/NYC taxes, I think you may be overestimating the amount that will actually hit your bank account. At a 3k housing nut, you need to be 100% certain of that calculation. 

I'm in a somewhat similar boat to you. I make 150K base, and decided to spend 3.5k a month on an apt. I also have a couple hundred in student loan payments each month. Here are a few thoughts: 

You'll live paycheck to paycheck. Hard to say this any other way. But you'll basically be spending entirely 1/2 of your monthly take home on rent. Utilities in NYC are weirdly expensive so expect 100-250 to eat into your second paycheck each month as well. . You'll likely put money away into your 401k too. This will leave you with anywhere from 1.5k-2.5k a month to spend "freely". Which at first seems great! But the expenses add up. You'll need to furnish that nice new apt so you'll burn a paycheck or 2 on furntiture / or moving. Going out is pricey - so expect drinks to add up to a couple 100 each month. Then dinners will also add costs. If you go on vacations with friends/gf/family then that will add up. You said you've never had a nice life before banking so I'm guessing your family isn't particularly well off? If your parents call you to say the water heater broke and it'll cost 3k to fix, are you not going to help out? These random expenses, big and small, will accrue and you'll keep seeing a bank account in sub 1000 range and potentially some credit card debt (have heard this narrative from others as well). 

Personally, this is all fine since my bonus is in the 150k to 175k range so I'll be flush when summer hits. However if I wasn't getting that bonus, there's no way I would live in a place this expensive. You're simply stretching the limit of your budget and have no cash to deal with emergencies. That being said - I do love my apartment and it makes coming home much more enoyable.

I would look into living in FIDI, UWS, UES, or East village. These spots are all decently close to your work (assuming mid-town) and you can get a solid place at the 2.5k range.

It is a stretch but doable. Depends on a lot of other factors.

Do you have any side income? Other meaningful expenses like medical bills? Always want to prepare for the downside case. If you have a lot of savings and can afford to take a hit in a worst-case scenario, go for it. If not, then maybe hold off.

What's your career path ahead of you look like? Do you anticipate a steep path to higher earnings in the future? If you anticipate moving into a nicer place like this in a year or two anyways, maybe it makes sense to reach a bit now and cut down on moving costs later. If you think you'll move in a year or two anyways, well then maybe don't splurge.  

At the end of the day, NY is expensive. If you want a decent apt without a roommate in a nice neighborhood, you're going to spend at least $2-2.5K anyways, so just ask yourself if the upgrade is worth whatever you would spent the extra $6-12K per year on. If the answer's yes, go for it.

There's no point in spending for a nicer anything until you have a partner to split it with, for 3 reasons:

1) You are at a point in your life where you should be working/networking so much that your place of residence is really just a crash pad when you are not going out.

2) You don't want to be with anyone who values you for material possessions. Anyone you are trying to impress should respect you enough as a man without it. Your career and education speak more to your character than your housing.

3) It's a waste of money. Delay gratification for two years, live as cheaply as possible, save as much money as possible, and buy a place. You will be so much happier and financially well off by saving to buy, rather than just throwing money down the drain.

…Feel free to use these reasons the next time anyone speaks down on your current apartment.

Best,

Just go mega and get several roommates. All be it, it’s been a while, but we had the whole floor in a building with maybe 30 foot ceilings. We had a half court basketball court and bar in the living room. We had 4 roommates, but 2 were consultants who were never there. I payed the most at $1300/mo. Outside of the fact that there was one bathroom and the kitchen was not functional, it was perfect for where we were in life. 

I assume you'd need guarantors here as most places--at least in Manhattan--require your salary to be like ~40x rent. Assuming this is true, then you're short about ~$20k and will need your parents--for example--to step in. I assume Long Island City--especially a luxury apt--is no different. I know you mentioned you had a solution to this, but still something you want to iron out before pulling the trigger.

A couple of other considerations;

- I'd also get an idea of monthly electric, internet, gas/water (if not included in rent), etc. That can easily add hundreds of extra costs a month

- How about the security deposit? Is it one month of rent? Maybe 2? 

- Are there any brokerage fees that you have to pay? I know it sounds weird, but I've run into that in Manhattan more times than I care to admit

- What are your monthly cost of living expenses (e.g., transportation, food, cell phone)?

In any event, I did a very quick run here and I tried to keep the costs as low as reasonably possible...

Could you afford this off your salary alone? I mean... technically 'yes', but if you have student loans or other debts, gym membership (assuming the building doesn't have a gym free to use), etc., then it may get tough. Compounding this I didn't included any non-recurring expenses (e.g., entertainment, emergency healthcare) and this assumes your job remains intact. To be fair, I didn't include savings or other income you might have.

Still... you're cutting it a bit close. If you went down market for a $2k apartment, you'd have a lot more wiggle room. Maybe once you get a bonus and raise next year, then you pivot. But perhaps I'm just more risk adverse than you.   

Good luck!

Leandøœer69

General rule is 30% of your gross monthly income. In your case it would be 8.3K per month / 3K rent = 27.67%. I say close enough

The general rule is 40x. 3K x 40 = $120K base 

That's insane to me that people pay that much to live there. I can, kind of, understand the draw of NYC, but we have a 4 bedroom house in Nashville and my mortgage is $1,400 per month (granted we put down 30%). The kid has a room, we have our room, I use 1BR for office and the other is a guest room.

I gross $80k and my wife works part time and brings in $30k. So $110k household income. Both cars are paid for and no student loans so no debt other than house. I auto-draft $2k per month into my brokerage account. So we save $24k per year (plus my 6% in 401k that is also matched). I would never, in a million years, pay $3k a month to live ANYWHERE. I could make $200k per year and I still would not pay that much. To each their own but I would feel guilty every day knowing how much I'm throwing away on rent. You're not building equity so that money is gone forever.  

You're out of touch with NYC prices bruh - good for you that you have some $1,400 mortgage

kiltedlowlander

That's insane to me that people pay that much to live there. I can, kind of, understand the draw of NYC, but we have a 4 bedroom house in Nashville and my mortgage is $1,400 per month (granted we put down 30%). The kid has a room, we have our room, I use 1BR for office and the other is a guest room.

I gross $80k and my wife works part time and brings in $30k. So $110k household income. Both cars are paid for and no student loans so no debt other than house. I auto-draft $2k per month into my brokerage account. So we save $24k per year (plus my 6% in 401k that is also matched). I would never, in a million years, pay $3k a month to live ANYWHERE. I could make $200k per year and I still would not pay that much. To each their own but I would feel guilty every day knowing how much I'm throwing away on rent. You're not building equity so that money is gone forever.  

No offense man but sounds like your house is tiny.

OP forgot the most important part of the equation for luxury apartment living - all that extra ass you can pull with it.

Although, when you factor in additional expected costs for said ass, it doesn’t give you a lot of breathing room on your current salary. What good is a nice apartment if you are sacrificing more than you should to get it?

Ultimately, it is your decision, but I’ve found that once you grow accustomed to a certain way of living it can be difficult to move back down a tier for financial reasons.

Good luck, OP!

'I'm jacked... JACKED TO THE TITS!!'

Xhamster02Saw some brand new luxury apartments for $2k in Jamaica ny. Ghetto area but it's affordable

Jamaica is far as fuck

Dolor sit facere aut maiores. Ab ut inventore rerum quia ut amet. Repellendus amet aut vero ratione. Mollitia vitae qui voluptate minima.

Omnis asperiores necessitatibus nulla et harum enim exercitationem. Commodi sunt occaecati voluptas quia. Debitis quaerat repudiandae est autem.

Aspernatur in rem fugiat labore possimus. Delectus qui recusandae debitis perferendis.

Blanditiis non nisi expedita voluptatem ea et aliquam. Ea hic magnam numquam perspiciatis impedit. Vel qui necessitatibus excepturi odio similique.

Quia sunt sit laudantium fuga nam magni. Consequuntur atque distinctio eius corporis quas expedita.

Perspiciatis quia sit nemo magnam dolor. Temporibus dolores eveniet doloremque nobis pariatur cupiditate. Possimus iure ut a quia qui quod. Error debitis tenetur ab ea explicabo velit. Nihil nobis sint expedita sunt odit autem quidem. Velit quidem sunt nobis sed sit consequuntur libero. Sit eveniet veniam aut dolore.

Dolorum molestiae optio qui ea. A qui autem odit error rerum. Consequatur sed aliquam quo quo placeat culpa. Nobis necessitatibus corrupti esse nihil corrupti necessitatibus rerum. Laboriosam molestiae veniam dolor ipsum.

Tempore aspernatur porro exercitationem sint ratione. Suscipit consequatur distinctio voluptatum adipisci officiis a non. Pariatur voluptate facilis nisi voluptate. Iste vel similique est porro ullam facere et. Quas fugiat commodi mollitia necessitatibus.

Est rerum libero qui necessitatibus. Est quia cum quia doloremque tenetur officiis.

Ipsam inventore temporibus quod accusantium iusto. Ipsam quis rerum est alias. Aut a voluptatem est quos odio. Sapiente voluptatem possimus ratione voluptatem sequi non tempora sed.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”