2019/2020 Sales & Trading Bonus Discussion

Figure I'd start one of these for S&T as well for this year as I didn't see one posted yet. Following the below format would be useful for viewers.

Title: AN/AS/VP/D/MD and year (should be the period for which the bonus is being paid)
Desk Performance: if applicable
Bank Type: BB/EB/MM
$:
% Cash:
Notes:

Title: AS1 Rank: Top/Mid probably Desk Performance: average - slightly up Bank Type: BB $: 30k % Cash: 100% Notes: base from $125k to $140k. I knew bonus was going to disappoint, but I thought base would be $150k at least. Apparently the group is looking to increase overall comp by 5% yoy going forward. If you can’t make more profit organically then cutting comp is an easy way to boost numbers. So, that would mean AS2 all in comp will be $165k and AS3 all in comp will be $175k. For comparison, only a few years ago associate bonuses were $100k-$150k.

Investment Manager in HF - Macro:
That is surprising and extremely low. I cannot make sense of this number (especially based on being mid/top) and haven’t seen numbers this low in the 10+ yrs I have been working, have you looked at moving firms? Move to the buysise?

Yeah, but it’s super hard as fixed income/derivatives sales to make the switch to the buy side. The only buyside roles available are fund sales or IR, which aren’t the most exciting or dynamic roles. Macro funds tend to hire traders only, and L/S equity funds tend to hire M&A kids.

I could move to another sell side firm, but it would be lower ranked bank because my BB is top 3. Those types of firms have hired some people away from my group with big numbers, but word on the street is that after year one they reduce comp significantly, so you’re kind of back at square one again.

Frankly, the business just isn’t what it used to be anymore. Nobody is retiring so there’s no upward mobility, and cutting costs in any way possible is a big focus (smaller teams doing more work, longer hours, lower comp, no promotions as being a 4th or 5th year associate is a thing now, no more business class flights, less client entertainment, etc.)

VP in S&T - Other:
This comp is extremely low for an associate, and if your future projections are correct you are getting hosed.

A number of associates have brought this up, and the response has basically been “Deal with it. If you don’t like it you can leave.” They’d rather pay the MDs and to some extent directors, and anyone below that is seen as expendable and interchangeable. There isn’t really room to move up anyways, so I’m sure they don’t mind if people leave.

Unfortunately, your story is not unique. I had a similar story for the last couple years but was lucky enough to get out and go to a fund.

I have several friends who just got their numbers last week and its a similar story from them, with their number being lower. One of them asked the desk head if her numbers was so low because of personal performance to which the desk head told her that she was the star associate but it was just a hard year and that they should all be lucky that there weren't layoffs.

Title: AS1 (stub - first year as a trader)

Desk performance: Average

Firm: BB

Bonus: 15k

Base: Raise from 125k to 140k

Disappointed I guess, however with being a first year and joining mid year I wasn't sure what to expect. Spent the year doing typical JR trader things so had limited opportunities to contribute in a meaningful way. In the context of what the traders on the desk make 15k just seems almost insultingly low to me for an FO job regardless of experience. Is this typical?

HalberstramNiceTie:
Title: AS1 (stub - first year as a trader)

Desk performance: Average

Firm: BB

Bonus: 15k

Base: Raise from 125k to 140k

Disappointed I guess, however with being a first year and joining mid year I wasn’t sure what to expect. Spent the year doing typical JR trader things so had limited opportunities to contribute in a meaningful way. In the context of what the traders on the desk make 15k just seems almost insultingly low to me for an FO job regardless of experience. Is this typical?

Not out of the ordinary. Did you get a signing bonus?

traders at a BB are paid about 5% of YOUR P&L. if you don't have any P&L...you won't get paid.

5% = 50k on 1mm

so, if your desk head thinks you are responsible for 5mm of P&L...they will pay you 250k (approx) at least...that has been my experience

make 80mm..get paid 4mm...at which point yo should goto a hedge fund to get 15

important to note that its rare for junior traders to make these kind of number all on their own....which is what makes them superstars

This is way outdated. 1. Nowadays, traders at banks rarely get paid % of book, unless they are superstars and management needs to keep them on board at all costs (even then - it wouldn't be a stated % of book). 2. You can get paid even if you don't have PnL - strong analyst in a killer group can get paid more than a Jr. Trader on a mediocre desk. I know this for a fact.

In this day and age, comp at a bank is more political than ever. As has been mentionned in other comments, even if you have a killer year, you're not going to get a % of book - mgmt will pay you to not leave. Investment banks are NOT in the business of swinging for the fences like a Citadel would be in some products, and traders at banks are not incentivized to take on massive risk (with a few exceptions). Mgmt is looking for smooth growth in S&T revenue. Tons of traders at banks today sitting there in a MM function facilitating client flow and more than happy with their comp.

Title: An2

Desk performance: Not good

Firm: top BB

Bonus: 40k

Base: Raise from 90 to 95k

Thoughts: Pretty disappointed since was given indication of being a top performer in the analyst class. Not much variance vs. other analysts (would say about mid to high end of what I've heard) besides 1-2 high/low outliers but thoughts are that they're using a bad PnL year for the broader team to underpay An2s. Most An2s here feel very underpaid - kind of sucks because I expected comp without much of a beta to the team's PnL at this stage. Expect some exodus + some to leave the industry as a whole.

That's pretty much the main exit opp. Varies a bit based on your desk of course - some folks in credit, for instance, could go to certain kinds of private equity firms. A more recent trend is folks exiting for to join startups.

It depends on the desk and role. From a sales desk, cash equity trading desk (is this still a thing), or a desk that handles vanilla/linear products it is much more difficult/almost impossible to make the jump to an Analyst/PM track at a HF. Most of the transitions to HFs are guys on macro desks (EMFX, commodities, rates) that deal with derivatives who go to global macro shops.

Obviously this is not easy and takes time. Its not as simple as saying oh well I got a low bonus this year, time to make the jump to a HF. Hundreds of others will be applying for the spot and there is probably a reason for the low bonus (desk or personal nonperformance). With that in mind why would a HF want to hire someone from a poor preforming desk when they can scoop up a star from a high preforming desk.

In recent years many traders have gone on to startups/entrepreneurship as others here have said. From my starting analyst class, about 20% have gone on to work for a startup in the past few years. They are usually involved in fintech startups that have a lending/financing/leasing/cap markets focus. Very cool space to be honestly. I visited a friend in SF back in Nov and it is a pretty good life.

Ok full disclaimer that these are not my stats; they are two of my friends' numbers. I don't get my bonus until March.

Title: Analyst 3? Rank: Mid Desk Performance: slightly up Bank Type: MM FX Sales $: 30k Notes: Base going from $95k to $125k

Title: Associate 2 Rank: Top Desk Performance: average Bank Type: BB Commodities trader (niche product) $: 40k % Cash: 100% Notes: Base going from $140 to $165. She was very disappointed on number and asked the desk head if it was bad performance on her part. Desk head basically said times are tough and this is what it is and that they are lucky nobody got laid off this year

Numbers seem meh this year so far

Just for the record the Associate 2 got $40k,not that is makes much of a difference.

Yeah the S&T numbers are low and this is the reality for many people working on a trading floor at a bank. Switching banks/products is not always the easiest thing to do with 4-5 years experience in a specialized/niche position. Switching banks would be difficult if the product has a small universe and not many banks are active in that area anymore and switching desks is difficult because you have developed a very unique still set and knowledge base that might not easily transfer into another product (ex if you understand the fundamentals of trading convertible notes, you won't have developed the skills/client base to sell base metals).

In case you were wondering, the associate will be going to BSchool in the fall...

There's no question that S&T as a whole is paid a lot less than IBD in particular all IBD. In most cases, they are working close to 2x your hours. Working 50 hours a week in S&T (maybe 60) vs. 80-100 hours in IBD.

Base for associate levels should be somewhere around 150k. The 30k numbers are pretty low to be fair. If you're doing pretty well, should be double that, so 60-90k. All in comp around 200-240k. Even if best performing IBD junior positions are making 150-200k bonus, on a per hour basis, it's more or less the same. If you're working much more than 50 or 60 hours a week, then you're having it pretty rough.

Agreed fully. In recent years the spread between IBD and S&T comp has blown out so hard, it's difficult to ignore. I will also say that while IB hours are longer thna S&T on average, I know of S&T analysts and associates grinding very hard (70 hours a week) in some strong performing teams. That said, you are right - most people in S&T are working very chill hours, especially at the senior level.

I think it is very important to note that there is a trend currently in the S&T world - I've seen it first hand. Return on capital for S&T businesses has become mediocre - thanks to growing compliance spending and tech spending. In an effort to fight this, banks have been, and are, reducing headcount in the front office. This has meant longer hours for front office people because teams are much leaner than before, while total comp has been flat to down. You used to have armies of highly paid FO people at BBs doing the work that a team 1/3 the size are doing today for less money. S&T just isn't what it used to be - and the future is not looking good - as evidenced by the numbers in this thread.

If I'm a college student today choosing between S&T and IBD, the choice is very clear...

Most Helpful

Agreed. Although I am not very bullish on the future of the industry (overall finance included). Recent trends are just going to continue, comp will never return to where it once was. More people probably need to be let go from S&T and buyside investing tbh (can see more than half of the industry being cut in the next ten years). Absolute fund returns aren't what they once were either (thanks to various factors, but mostly technology and markets being more efficient). The truth is that finance is an industry that is fighting a losing battle with technology. Technology will always win out. If you plan on staying, you better be in a position where you can go with that trend rather than against it. Or leveraging capital for others in need to use which has gone on all of history too (aka lending money using bank balance sheet or funding related role for counter-parties which comes down to carry). There are way too many buy-side firms as well - but you're starting to see more and more shut down.

On the sell side, compliance and regulatory costs have exploded and will keep going higher (creating extra costs/jobs at the cost of efficiency..) so that's another issue. See that article about the JP Morgan trader getting in trouble over just using WhatsApp, but unfortunately don't think that will change anytime soon either. The fact that you can lose your job or even go to jail for something like that is just a joke.

At least with banking, you can move into something other than finance. Even then I'm a little skeptical of how long that can last. I probably wouldn't recommend anyone to enter finance these days at all unless you have a plan to leave sooner rather later. With that being said, the money is still pretty good and be thankful for, just have to be aware of the deteriorating industry. When I first joined, I didn't think the deterioration would accelerate this fast, and it sure has. You just saw every BB crush it in FICC, but as you can see nobody on this thread has gotten "paid" - that should sum it up. Worst thing that can happen is you get let go mid-career with no other real skill or experience. Expectations of how much money you can make just have to toned down (a lot) especially by those trying to enter the industry - even for the buy-side now.

At the end of the day, the best opportunities to make a lot of money are what it always has been through the history of mankind - developing a business (not necessarily a startup). The days of it not being uncommon for people making multiples of millions in finance are going to be gone soon, ifnot already gone.

Associate 1 got promoted to Associate 2. Base comp was 125K as an associate 1 with a full year bonus of 110K (about 10K in stock) at a US BB in FICC Sales (Non-NYC). New base is 140K as an associate 2. Strong year for FICC, my bank and my desk.

Personally was suprised with the bonus number (was honestly thinking it would be between 50k-75k). My desk was up over 30%+ (I was specifically was up more y/y and got was able to expand our business quite a bit). Other associates on different desks their numbers ranged between 35K-70K. Have about 2 months before I head off to business school to switch into investment banking.

ROE has been struggling quite a bit in this business since the financial crisis (more regulation), increased automation leading to margin compression, and very few people leaving the business (i.e. I have seen associates who are stuck at the same level for more than 4 years). 

Title: Trader (VP) Rank: Mid Desk Performance: flat Bank Type: Prop $: 100k GBP (~130k USD) % Cash: 75 Base: 125k GBP (~ 160k USD) Notes: London based, market maker competing directly with banks

For the most part, no. It's very dependent on what role you end up in. For the most part, you won't be gaining any skills or learning anything unique. If you're a junior sales person or execution type trader, what have you learned? You'll learn how to trade if you end up on a desk that takes risk, but that's not exactly a skill that translates well elsewhere. As I mentioned before, there are less and less of these roles now. I know a lot of people in dying or dead-end type roles (associate or VP level) and leaving industry.

Fortunately, I'm in a pretty good role at a BB where I have a lot of flexibility to trade in a "prop" way with very good hours. I genuinely enjoy trading and analyzing markets. Even then, I'm studying outside of work to continue being relevant in the workforce. It would be very easy to be complacent and that's another danger in S&T especially with the direction the industry is heading.

Title: 1st year trader Rank: Top Desk Performance: Good Bank Type: n/a Salary: $145k Bonus: $41k

Not sure if I should be pissed off or not... Technically, I personally didn't make any money so... I guess it's not terrible?

Adipisci esse enim explicabo suscipit. Enim iusto autem consectetur vero. Sit impedit ut sit accusantium praesentium perferendis facilis. Non autem sunt enim dicta in ipsa praesentium. Temporibus eligendi maiores dolor rerum. Possimus et suscipit alias id voluptatem. Expedita consequatur dolorem voluptatem.

Nemo aut magnam voluptatibus perferendis ut minima enim. Consequuntur libero explicabo fugit eum ad quia deserunt. Dolores consequatur necessitatibus id voluptates sapiente.

Et ut dolor consequatur laboriosam. Laboriosam laboriosam molestiae corporis. Aliquid aut delectus alias sapiente. Qui et tempora dolore quidem non reiciendis. Incidunt sit deserunt eveniet repudiandae incidunt similique.

Fugit enim neque error et voluptatem et ipsum perferendis. Illo voluptatem aut deleniti culpa explicabo. Ipsum quo possimus qui et incidunt.

Amet eos aut aut voluptate id. Et aperiam molestias voluptas sapiente in iste. Saepe iure enim aliquid vel esse. Consequuntur autem necessitatibus voluptas et facilis nisi placeat. Laudantium et hic vel doloremque minima vero commodi vero.

Dignissimos dicta quia perferendis dolor temporibus aut quia. Praesentium beatae suscipit qui dolorem vel voluptates et. Earum nobis aliquam libero corrupti omnis.

Perspiciatis et dolorum fuga alias voluptatem eligendi. At quaerat sapiente voluptas consequuntur sed eius eligendi voluptatem. Dolore qui ipsa error eos nemo in.

Velit inventore quo quia consequatur dicta illo. Odit temporibus sed laborum exercitationem aliquam ipsa. Voluptatem qui deserunt ipsam odit voluptatem omnis. Voluptatum harum earum officiis reprehenderit perspiciatis quo iusto ut.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
numi's picture
numi
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”