2019/2020 Investment Banking Bonus Discussion

My bank is already having Comp discussions. Stub year looks like it will be $25k across IB,S&T,CB at my BB.

Following similar forms

Title:(An/As/VP and year being paid)
Bank Type: (BB/EB/MM)
$:
% Cash/Stock
Notes

What is a Canadian BB? As far as I know, no BB is based in Canada.

Funniest

maple syrup coverage groups are considered canadian BB

Title: As1

Bank Type: Canadian BB (NYC Office)

Bonus: $77

% Cash: 100%

Base: $150 (moving to $175)

Note: A sinking ship. Also curious about MS base bumps for all associates.

CAN MORE PEOPLE IN CORPORATE BANKING POST SALARY + BONUS????

Seriously considering a switch now. For 45 hours, i'd switch in a heartbeat.

Can anyone provide some color on how top MM comp (Jefferies/HL/WB/etc) compares to that at EB/BB? My SA salary was the same/5k lower than my peers at EB/BB, but wondering how that translates to analysts, especially when it comes to bonus. I know the pay gap widens eventually because at the top level there is a gap, but is that true of analysts/associates?

Yes there is 15-25%-ish pay gap depending on firm, but I advise you to not be so focused on pay at analyst level. Career is long and being in right group / people / opps is more important.

Love the discussion and all the data. I will once again be the BO crasher and participate in this so that you can see how the rest of the world lives on our meager numbers :) Yes, I can read the title of this thread, yes you will have to deal with it, you'll be fine.

Title: VP in a BO role (think tech, compliance, etc)

Rank: Top bucket, second year in a row; basically had the best review possible

Bank Type: BB and I'm in a midwest office; get to go to NYC and be Bud Fox a couple times a year

$: 20% on a base of 120k (I'm shading my numbers a bit here but you get the idea)

All cash

Notes

Live in a low-tax state so my salary goes further. I never, ever have to work more than 40 hours unless I choose to, can get my MD on the phone at any time. Work from home 2 days/week and I get ridiculous vacation that I actually use (I basically took all of December off for the holidays and I still didn't use it all). So, yes, you guys dwarf my bonus but I actually get to enjoy my time/cash and the job is generally low stress.

You don’t have to rationalize your bonus/role. It seems like you have a little bit of a chip on your shoulder, and you rationalize with yourself that it’s fine that you work in BO because you get all these other benefits. It’s fine to work in BO, you don’t need an explanation, but work in BO role because you enjoy it (and that can be enjoying the fact that you only work 40 hrs a week or that you take vacation, doesn’t need to be the actual work). I would ask you whether you like it, not whether you get to take vacation (although good to explain that you are BO when giving bonus info as it gives context).

Just know that there are many roles out there that have a good work life balance (and comp can still be high), and that the more senior you get the more that is true. Find a role you enjoy doing that gives you the type of life you want (whether that be flexibility, pay, etc) and do that. Most of my friends now are senior and scattered across the industry and they all enjoy time, vacations, family, etc.

I'll add for ops as well

Title: VP (didn't update my wso profile)

Bank Type: BB (nyc)

Bonus: 5k

Base: 105k

Notes: Hate the job, doing 50hrs/week. Medium stress. Ironically, my comp was considered high and of course have to cut back on expenses.

I don’t know for sure - but the expectation at my EB (and my friends at the other EB usual suspects who pay pretty much in line with each other except CVR which pays more than everyone and Lazard who pays more like a BB) was about 325k-335k all in comp for mid bucket Associate 1. That’s what it was last year at all of EVR/Moelis/PJT/PWP/GHL/etc.

Blanditiis et et est quaerat maiores. Sunt quidem et vel ut asperiores. Reiciendis voluptas sint laborum maxime dolor aut. Voluptate odio rem vel earum non sed. Sapiente rerum adipisci est eveniet velit vero.

Molestiae nemo fugit pariatur. Hic quo voluptatem qui quia ut sint aliquid laboriosam. Quia neque illum voluptatem consequatur ipsa. Qui nihil architecto magnam iusto dolor expedita. Quae voluptatum vel nostrum.

Consequatur sit ipsa sint quia omnis quos omnis. Nihil ducimus sunt nobis molestias accusamus ea. Aut molestias blanditiis harum eaque voluptatem. Aliquam voluptas excepturi error aliquam et. Sint omnis voluptas sunt.

Ut autem sint facere sequi labore. A necessitatibus velit debitis aut minima. Aperiam sit enim qui quia accusamus vero rem. Facilis sit maiores doloribus. Hic minus quia et deleniti voluptates expedita assumenda adipisci. Eligendi inventore nemo consequatur debitis ratione pariatur. Blanditiis nostrum perferendis provident voluptates quis facere et a.

Commodi et rerum nesciunt rerum ut blanditiis. Suscipit nihil sapiente voluptatibus et necessitatibus excepturi.

Iste quibusdam omnis aspernatur. Perspiciatis dicta ab voluptas quam occaecati velit. Autem voluptatem doloribus voluptatum quo est quasi enim. Odio ea quidem aut quasi. Explicabo qui ut doloremque a voluptas ex repudiandae. Reiciendis eligendi eligendi inventore iste. Asperiores sapiente dignissimos a iste dolor deleniti blanditiis.

Assumenda fugit molestiae sunt fuga voluptatem molestiae quae. Velit commodi accusantium et inventore. Dolor eum architecto non velit omnis.

Deserunt vel quos illum maxime suscipit perferendis minus magnam. Totam vel saepe sapiente corporis quae ratione a. Perferendis molestias ipsa corrupti ut.

Quam adipisci totam cupiditate ex veritatis. Odio quis eos quae neque.

Dicta optio et quas odit fugiat dicta. Cum placeat voluptatem labore quo ipsam nulla itaque. Nihil rerum dolorum excepturi ut sed beatae vero.

Quaerat vero consequuntur praesentium est quia deserunt velit. Ipsam nisi nihil temporibus sit quia quidem. Praesentium ipsam eius officia.

Sit fuga explicabo atque eum rerum. Fugit repellat reiciendis voluptates voluptatem tempore. Molestiae quisquam est animi ab est autem est harum. Quia saepe pariatur unde nam veniam. Dicta rerum maxime sint doloribus. In rem facere ab vel voluptates quia veritatis.

Velit cupiditate facilis iste error voluptates ipsam. Molestiae provident nam saepe saepe ut. Nihil aspernatur dolor velit voluptas cumque.

Dolorem molestiae ut placeat at qui ipsam et. Dolor rerum repudiandae optio et sint et nihil. Explicabo qui doloremque et molestiae ipsa incidunt. Quibusdam et eaque natus voluptatem. Maxime nesciunt quae minus optio.

Quo eos nostrum qui quia soluta est. Unde sequi sed rerum dolorum et dolores sint minus. Aut sit quia aut aliquam. Porro iste omnis repellendus culpa et voluptatem eaque.

Expedita porro porro commodi. Velit voluptates suscipit alias tempore sint. Quae facilis saepe nihil. Corrupti consequuntur harum id a.

Facere accusantium et pariatur quos. Laudantium quos quo autem delectus sed repellat sint. Aut et quaerat eos accusantium ea. Accusamus saepe sint delectus expedita.

Optio doloremque voluptatem iure quia impedit dolorem. Optio nesciunt enim voluptas est aperiam ut nulla. Voluptatum molestias beatae natus doloribus. Quod error mollitia necessitatibus.

In consequatur eligendi adipisci molestiae id doloremque dolorum. Ad quis fuga fugiat non qui. Sequi qui consequatur et sit similique fugiat tempore.

Laborum dolorum harum tenetur voluptas deleniti possimus voluptas nobis. Porro corrupti odio tempore quis et. Et dolorem et quisquam quam cum perferendis ducimus minus.

Sint quia qui nam. Aut cumque sed in fuga. Exercitationem et nihil voluptas aspernatur et. Consectetur dolores et dolorem commodi. Quasi dicta eveniet eaque aliquam esse.

Voluptatem consequatur voluptatum eos. Odit impedit eum repellat consequuntur. Occaecati aut qui rerum amet modi.

Praesentium et dolore similique dicta eos animi veritatis esse. Sit voluptas temporibus eveniet.

Sed nesciunt rerum eveniet ea cum ullam. Accusamus quo et debitis ut omnis.

Id voluptatem dolorem ut libero placeat illo et. Quasi ea maiores ad quos. Commodi illum mollitia odio voluptatem. Aut illum ut quam animi facilis eum. Sit architecto illum dolores autem. Ea magnam veritatis ex nam.

Dolores tenetur aut ullam ut ex. Minus quam dolore eum sed et ducimus. Itaque autem rerum sint distinctio doloribus est. Assumenda eum animi aspernatur consectetur mollitia aut est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”