Trending Content (see all)Replies
+56
Female Bullying in Prop Firm

a5hleybmw

Thanks Everyone for the responses! I will update with any notable progress. ![thumbs up](https://media2.giphy.com/media/GCvktC0KFy9l6/giphy-downsized.gif)

+17
AMA: former BB market maker (trader) for US Treasuries - now a prop trader

faceslappingcompilation

I started out as a desk analyst, doing spreadsheet and programming things for all the traders on the government desk. I went to a non-target state school, and my entry job to the ibank was in the IT division as a VBA Excel and SQL database developer (back when that was special). After a few...

+12
AMA: Options Trader at Top Prop Firm

knightshade

<h4>About</h4> I knew nothing about finance, below 3.0 GPA from UIUC, and had no connections. But I made it. I found my way on to the trading floors in Chicago and eventually got hired at a top firm as a trader. I managed the European session for one of the largest fixed income...

All Pods
Recently Active Topics
Replies
Advice on getting into tading...

Pilot

I've been reading these forums for a while and decided to sign up to get some advice. I am a junior with a few internship options and was hoping to get some insight on which one would be the best if I'll be trying to get into trading next year/ in the future. First is an internship at ML, UBS, or ...

Best degree for S/T?

patrick55

I am currently enroute CFA and CBV and wondering for those of you who work in the industry what would be the best graduate degree to hold to get into s/t? I am deciding between MBA finance/eco, masters in finance, or masters in financial engineering?...

Sales - Quantative Desks/Firms

RobertSmith

I certainly know the compare and contrast question has been asked before, but I'd like to know a little bit more about how the banks/desks rank in terms of having heavily quantitative salespeople - where you have to use an MBA, build your own models, sell to a sophisticated audience, etc. ...

Anal already, but can we be Retentive?

qw3m

My buddies’ daughter pointed me to this site, so please be patient with an old fart. My subgroup (two senior traders doing exotic derivatives something or other) has had issues retaining analysts/juniors on the desk and my boss thinks that has to do with us (him and myself) being overly anal...

+1
Offered job on natural gas desk in Houston - Bonus

monty09

Pay is 30% raise from what I make now with bonus up to 100% of salary. ...

Index Indices

SnaFU

I am gonna be interning at a desk dealin with indices. Any insights regarding the same, how they function, new ones coming up, how they are used, how can they helpful in trading , what could a sales role on such a desk involve etc will be of immense help. Am a newbie and have very less idea of stuf...

+1
Trader at Fannie Mae. Prestigious?

sleepyguyb

How good/bad is it to be a trader at fannie mae or ginnie mae? How hard is it to get a trading spot there compared to an ibank?...

Desk Recommendations

srr636

Doing an S & T internship @ a BB this summer in Equities/Fixed Income Products. Leaning more towards the sales end (I feel like most people on this board are traders - sorry about posting here, but I can't figure out where else I should). Just looking for recommendations w/regards to desks I should ...

The Trading Athlete

onickjo

This book was recommended to me by a trader. Has anyone read this book? Any thoughts? Thanks. http://www.amazon.com/Trading-Athlete-Winning-Mental-Online/dp/0471418706/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-3453326-8844107?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174943960&sr=8-1...

Junior summer analyst S&T

nefarious

So I'm interested in corporate finance and S&T, and I heard if you do one in the summer and don't like it, then it's not that hard to change. but i've read and heard that the s&t summer position sucks, because you're licensed to do anything so they cant really make you do anything too cool. is that ...

Wealth Management to S+T

matty200

How difficult is it to move from Wealth Management to S+T?...

Group 1

SJFC07

My friend just accepted an offer at Group 1 in their trading department. He turned down a Citigroup trading job, so I hope he knows what he is doing. Has anyone heard of this firm? He was told he will spend the first year training and make about 45k base, but once he becomes a trader for year 2, th...

thoughts on possible desks?

idkoop

I interned last summer in structuring at a BB. the summer was pure hell - some people on my desk were cold assholes, and my personality (i'm quiet, not naturally aggressive) meant i didn't get along so well with them. despite this, im going back into s/t next year. but was told by my boss from last ...

Structured finance to Trading

sleepyguyb

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/want-make-15-million-try/story.aspx?guid=%7BD7543D25-4933-421A-92A9-2AA538C516D1%7D I'm getting into structured finance starting this summer, hopefully after a bit I can make the jump to trading....

From Fixed Income Research to Sales/Trading?

Tijuanatornado

I will be in my second year as an associate this summer, doing fixed income research. I have a graduate degree in econ. The more I know the more I want to move to sales/trading. Any tips on how to do it? I love talking to people, the shorter hours, the money, the work enviroment, the whole 9 yards.....

popped colla whoa BSD

Anonymous Monkey

Hi, I'm a first year S&Ter at Goldman. Thanks for inviting me to the board big j. ...

McDonald's and the weak dollar

dpiderit

I read McDonald's will benefit greatly from the weak dollar, how so? is it because of all of its international branches making money in foreign currencies that when translated to dollars increase profits?...

FX desks

karma729

Could someone with first-hand knowledge give some insight towards the culture regarding the FX desks at their bank? Doesn't matter if it's spot or futures, vanilla or exotic, any insight at all would be much appreciated. I do have one question specific to vanilla spot though, and that is: do traders...

BCG Report and the top trading shops

Viper

http://www.bcg.com/publications/files/Q4_2006_Market_Report_final.pdf I would like to know about the top 5 trading shops. Can we rank Investment Banks based on their trading revenue? How about volume? How many variables are used to determine a top desk? I am thinking that revenue and volume may ind...

How to respond to an HR email...

randomwalk

Received this from Louis Dreyfus about a commodity trader internship: There are a few select schools where we draw our interns from. Unfortunately, Wake Forest is not one of them. We wish you success in your job search and career endeavors. First, is anyone familiar with what schools they do dra...

Specific Tasks of Traders

theHam1

Hello everyone, To give some background - I'm a sophomore at a target school with 4.0 and a MM summer analyst position coming up next summer. I've researched ibanking quite a bit(as I had to for interviews and such), however I do not know much about Sales and Trading beyond what Vault or my analy...

Options vs Futures/Forwards

mika

Hey guys, I know all about options and futures/forwards, but I am still a little confused on why a company/person woould choose one over the other. For example, if it is an oil-porducing company that wants to hedge against a drop in the price of oil, why would it be better to purchase a future/for...

Trader's Assistant vs. Middle Office

joema123

Hello everyone, new to the board, I was just wondering what the difference is b/w being a trader's assistant and middle office. Which do you think is better if I would want to progress to become a trader later on? thanks ...

Back-office work

InvestorMA

I'm trying to break into the trading field, and I wanted to know what the back-office people do, how much they are paid, etc. (How much it sucks?) Is that the typical place to start Ugrad? I'm considering southern CT area. Thanks....

Has anybody heard of Eagle Market Makers out of Chicago?

bjcoops

I think they are a small shop, but I was wondering if anybody knew much about them?...

series 7, 63 or others for summers?

bigblue01

If you're willing to study now will they sponsor you in the summer?...

Best BB as far as training goes...

dpiderit

As far as training, which BB do you consider to be at the top? and why?...

FX Accumulator Options

pillz

Hi all I'll be interning this summer, and recently they've come back to me saying I will be doing something related to this. naturally, I went to check it up, but it seems to me that there's very little about FX accumulator options on the net. Is it a very specialized product? Can someone explain t...

Jump to Hedge Fund

ranma_22

I know that bankers can typically jump to a hedge fund (or PE fund) after doing 2 years as an analyst. How long does it take for some one in a trading/sales role to have the same opportunity? Does the timeline differ between roles (sales vs. trading)? Most people who I've met in sales/trading hav...

Suits for 1st year analysts?

joelad

Hi, Firstly, I'm new to the forum - so hello all. Next: I will be a 1st year capital markets analyst in London as of this summer, and the dress code on the trading floor is business formal. Does anyone have any advice as to how much to spend on a suit, and any suggestions for where to buy from? ...

Dresscode on the Trading Floor

dpiderit

Hey, I'll be interning this summer in S&T. I have to go shopping for clothes before I go. I was wondering what's the dresscode? Will I have to suit up every single day? or is it more relaxed? I imagine it varies between banks but generally speaking how do people dress on the day to day in S&T and ho...

What to do - Want to make the jump for S&T

ihatemarketing

Hey guys ive realized that i want to make the jump into sales/trading after college. the problem i have right now is that all my experience in the financial sector has been (and will be) more fundamentals based (ie financial statements) I want to do foreign exchange, or even better, commodities. ...

Help, what to do?!

Cervantes

Rewind three mo's ago, and I interviewed at at BB for a TA role on it's EM/EXOTICS credit trading desk. Went up all the way to HR, then they went internal. Fastforward to now: I got into Cornell MBA and I get a call from a recruiter saying the Bb called again specifically asking for me to intervie...

Goldman and Merrill Almost Junk

desyn_masiello

"Goldman, Merrill Almost `Junk,' Their Own Traders Say " Bloomberg Article http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=email_en&refer=us&sid=azrxhCZbHMLk Anyone care to take a gander?...

RESUME ASSESSMENT - Sophmore at an elite college

recruitinglad666

Hello everyone, I have never posted something on this site, but a couple of days ago, I got the following resume on my table, and I wanted to know what people think about it: XXX is a sophomore, does his first two years at an elite college (HarvardYalePrincetonStanfordWharton), 4.0/4.0 GPA, Top 1%...

Good P&L numbers

ivyleaguer

What are GENERAL P&L numbers for the following: 1) Book size (how much they can have at risk) 2) Good daily P&L to shoot for (50, 75, 90 percentile figures) 3) Good annual P&L to shoot for (probably (2) multiplied by 252, but shit happens) (50, 75, 90 percentile figures) 3) Minimum P&L needed to no...

6-1 interview

aachimp

I was applying for an energy trading internship over the summer, and I had to face 6 interviewers. It didn't end up well because I kept getting a mix of fit and technical questions and was getting thrown off by the questions coming from different directions. Anyone else have this kind of interview...

Wild West of Desks

Daniel T Bush

bondarb says the repo desks are like the "wild west." does anybody care to comment on other crazy desks?...

to put or not to put in resume

trapok

my roommate and i have been arguing over whether to include these 2 things in the resume for a trading position: - performance of personal trading - xxx college NL Texas Hold'em champion what do you guys think?...

Deperate for sales!

emma915

I have an interview with a BB for a sales position next week. I am wondering if anyone have been through sales interviews can give me some tips on how to effetively prepare for it..thank you so much! Any suggestion and advise would be greatly appreciated!!!...

College senior interested in trading

stbren

I'm currently a senior and I am very interested in pursuing a career in trading, but I do not have a job lined up yet for after I graduate. Are there any educational programs like the Investment Banking Institute that focuses on trading? And if there are programs like that, would it increase my ch...

trading enviroment+$$

skynyrd4212

hello, I'm still in high school so i have plenty of time to think everything over. i've always been interested in finance and investing/trading. my sister has a friend whos a cme trader, i dont know what he trades or for whom he does it, but she talked to him and i can get a internship type of thing...

MS Fixed Income Question

businessunit

Does anyone have any insight as to which group in MS Fixed is a good group to join? I would prefer to stay in NYC so commodities might be out of the question. Any advice would help. Thanks....

Enrty-level BB Proprietary Trading

Daniel T Bush

Is it possible to enter a BB as an equity options prop trading assistant rather than a traditional flow assistant?...

ML London: best desks for Markets (had mistakenly put this in I-Banking discussion)

EuroMonkey

Anyone know what the best desks at Merrill are in capital markets in London (eg. fixed income, structured products, equity derivatives, forex...)? ...

New Products?

Cervantes

Lot of discussion on which is better, FI or Equity. What are latest and greatest products out there? Any thoughts on how long they will last? ...

Structured EM trading

fangoria

Hi, can anyone give me background on this product? I summered in Structured Credit, and loved it, but would hopefully like to get into EM since spreads appear more mispriced. Is this a fast growing product? thx...

Need some advice for interview, etc.

tuneman

I've posted on this site before, I have been trying to get a job in trading for the past few months, with little avail. I graduated from college about 7 months ago, applied to a lot of places with little luck. I was wondering how bad this is, and how bad is it to an interviewer. One good thing is ...

Need Help - Seeking info about interest rate sales groups

wawa

I am solely seeking information about interest rate sales groups. Can someone who knows from experience please direct me to league tables or let me know roughly how different banks rank on prestige? Also, could you refer specifically to Lehman, Morgan Stanley, Goldman, BofA, and Wachovia?...

+1
A few good men

Jimbo

'I eat breakfast three hundred yards away from four thousand hedge funds who are trained to pick me off. So don't think for one second that you can come down here, flash a client relationship, and make me nervous. Son, we live in a world that has risks, and those risks have to be avoided by men wi...

Hottest desk(s)

recruitinglad666

Just wondering what people in Equities think is the hottest trading desk at the moment. Which products have the highest margins? Where can you make the most money?...

S&T for Energy Rankings

Junior

how do the firms stack up for S&T, couldn't find a good list anywhere. I have heard there is a signficant drop off after GS/MS, is this true, and how would the rest of the bulges compare? Thinking about doing something with energy, either equities or commodities....

+5
Just HOW MUCH MATH does a trader need?

Bankenfanatiker

Hey everyone, So, I want to become a derivatives trader; I major in Economics at a top 5 school, interned at Goldman (FICC division) last summer and will intern at JPM (Credit Derivates Marketing for Germany) this summer. My question to you is: Just how quantitatively able does one have to be to be...

UBS Russian equities

breakthrough

I have an interest in them and they seem to have an interest with me. They said that they don't have official summer intern programs, but they will make a spot for me. Has anyone heard anything about them? They are based in New York....

Opportunities after 2 years

ranma_22

I will be working on a fixed income trading desk next year (dealing with either govt. bonds or credit) at a top 4 bank and I was wondering what your experiences have been regarding opportunities to move desks after putting in 2 years as an analyst. Is this a common path? If you start in inerest ra...

which is brockerage is best for beginners

ssb101

Hey I was just wondering, for someone who plans to begin investing in the sotck market whats the best online brokerage to use and with the lowest fees......

S&T Analysts and Their Contracts

jtmarlin

In IBD, it's pretty unusual for banks to keep their analysts after the two-year contract. What happens in S&T? When I signed, I was told that most analysts stayed. This made sense to me since it'd be around this time that you'd have your own book and be able to start 'adding value'. If they just...

Totally Shut Out of 1st Round Interviews

corgi95

Any clues on why this would be? I got plenty of interviews junior year and for FT recruiting in the fall (i'm class of '07) I then decided to get a MS degree in finance and graduate in dec. 07. I applied for trading internships and haven't gotten a single interview, even for goldman (which literal...

Rejected From Lehman Summer START Pre-Interview

corgi95

I'm really at a loss here on what to do. There's only a few summer S&T programs left that recruit at my school (one of HYPS btw). I really don't understand why I didn't get at least an interview (checked my resume again, still can't find any errors). This sucks, I think I'm going to get completely s...

GS Equities

breakthrough

I am interviewing with both GS Equities and FICC. If I can't get into FICC, should I take equity? People say it's dead, but I would like to hear from people who are actually in Trading. What is your advice? If FICC doesn't work out, should I just go for i-banking or is there still some potential in ...

Lehman's Energy Group

Mrboarder

Anyone heard about this new group and how they are doing vs Goldman J Aron, Morgan, and Merrill?...

Move to trading from quant

johnwate

For someone with 1-2 years of experience as a quant on a prop desk in a BB bank, is it easy to get a prop trading job in most BB banks and hedge funds?...

+1
Get into energy trading now? job prospects, salary, etc.

ivyleaguer

Hey all, I was wondering what your opinions were about getting into energy trading now? I have an opportunity to work for an established hedge fund (>$20bn) in their energy trading desk right out of undergrad and am strongly considering it. Still, I have the impression that the energy market in par...

List of good trading/structuring internship programs?

corgi95

So far I'm applying to: -GS -MS -ML (structuring) -Bear Stearns (structuring) -JPM -CS (structuring i think) -KBC (trading/structuring) Any other good firms out there? ...

Master's Program in Quantitative Finance

fraser24gt

I go to Georgia Tech where I am studying Mechanical Engineering...which I found out is not for me. I have one year left in that and I am considering a Master's program also offered at Georgia Tech called Quantitative and Computational Finance. It is one of the few Master's programs that focuses excl...

lehman brothers s&T- best desk

gekko44

i recently accepted an analyst position with lehman s&T starting in summer 07 i want to go into some sort of credit trading but was wondering what peoples opinions are about what the best desks are at lehman thanks for the help...

Daily trading volume of Equities, Fixed Income, Forex

Tortle

I'm quoting below from a Wikipedia article [quote]The forex market is a cash inter-bank or inter-dealer market, which was established in 1971 [citation needed] when floating exchange rates began to appear. The foreign exchange market is huge in comparison to other markets. For example, the average ...

Your take on stock prices

dpiderit

Hey, I know there's many metrics to figure out if a stock is a good buy, such as P/E, PEG, fundamentals.... but I can't figure out how the stock price in relation to it's 52wk high or low can help my decission. If a stock is very near it's 52wk high, is it good b/c it's growing or bad because it mig...

S&T Program Interview Assistance

Cal_0

There are a handful of questions that are commonly asked during ibanking interviews; most of us know them and have the appropriate yet truthful responses. The answers to these questions differ depending on which section of ibanking you are looking to join and since I'm posting in the traders section...

Interview Help - Been actively trading

karma729

I have been actively trading the FX market through a retail broker for about 2 yrs now with good results. Is it beneficial to mention these results in an interview or on a resume? And if so, how much clout would you say interviewers ascribe to these kind of achievements?...

2006 Stub Bonuses

skins1

Who has heard word yet on stub bonuses for new assocites (finished b-school May of 06). I've heard 45k from GS, MS, and Lehman........

Institutional Equities Sales Interview

fjm222

Hi, I have an interview next week for a sales position at the Institutional Equities desk at RBC in Toronto. Does anyone have any experience with these interviews? Any suggestions on how to prepare and what to expect would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Internships in trading?

ydarb

Earlier this year I sent my resume out to some contacts in the banking world. After a lot of thought and research I realize that investment banking simply is not for me. In just about everyway I can imagine (personality, relative strengths and weaknesses, interests, etc.) I feel that trading would...

a few newb questions

skynyrd4212

ive been very interested in finance, trading, economics ect. for quite some time. I know a decent amount, but have a few questions. when you all refer to private equity, prop shops ect, what exactly is the definition of that. would it be a hedge fund of sorts? please explain. also, when i go off to ...

52 week % vs YTD %

dpiderit

quick and probably dumb question but what's the difference between the 52 week % change in a stock price vs the YTD % change, isn't 52 weeks a year? so why isn't it the same?...

SUSQ versus CITI

tizdo

Between Citigroup and Susquehanna, I was just wondering which company would be the best to work at for an entry level trading position? On one hand I can imagine there's more mobility around a giant financial services conglom like CITI, but I've heard much praise about Susquehanna's maths and statis...

Importance of Firm

jtmarlin

One of the reasons I chose trading is because it seemed to be more of a meritocracy than any other kind of job. If you're good, you're good; it doesn't matter that you don't work at a BB or a Tier 1. It seems like a majority of the bankers are extremely concerned with the firm/group in which they ...

Trading assistant salary

BionikBlue

Hi, I've recently applied for a TA position (I am almost done with my undergraduate degree) and would like to know what kind of salary to expect. This position is in Canada so it probably will be lower than in the US, but I would like to get as much info as possible. Thanks for your help!...

What is most exciting about it?

dpiderit

What is it of Sales and Trading that excites you the most? (not the money please) Why did you decide to go into S&T over other branches of IB and over other type of carreers? I'm interviewing for a S&T internship soon and I want to get some answers to these questions to see if I can relate to that o...

Derivative Marketer ?

Gordon_Gekko

hi Jimbo - could you pls explain it here cheers, Gordon ...

Fixed Income vs. Currencies vs. Commodities at GS FICC

Ken0122

Which division generates the highest revenue among the three?...

+1
Do many move from IB to trading?

suckermc

Do many move from IB to trading?...

Prop trading vs Flow/Market Making

Rody

I assume most traders at banks are engaged in flow trading rather than prop trading (although I guess all traders must have some proprietary component to their work). Do most flow traders aspire to become prop traders? Or do people stick to flow trading their entire career? Are exit opportunities fo...

Putting up your own capital

tuneman

To enter a trading firm. I know some of them aren't legit, but if you know the guys running it, can it be a good idea? I am straight out of college, I was really looking for a salary position, but unfortunately this might be all I can find. Is it worth it?...

Undergrad Degree

newhorizons

I know everyone must be sick of the undergrad degree talk....but what degree is best suited to break into trading. I'm getting an accounting degree and could get a finance degree as well but I would have to stay an extra semester in school. Should i just drop accoutning and focus on finance if tradi...

Some things you can brush up to help for S&T

Jimbo

First, read Liar's poker. Second, especially if you have interest in derivatives, learn about the main pricing models, and the various risks associated with derivatives. Read the Hull book. Third, if you can't back it up, don't put it on your resume....

Which would be more advantageous

tuneman

I know it depends on many circumstances, but what would you think would be better for someone looking into trading: Getting a job as a trader/trader assistant with a new hedge fund that is starting up, or working for one of the big banks going for an analyst position. I am leaning towards the hed...

Any UM grads here?

dpiderit

Hey! I'm new to the forum. I'm a sophomore at the University of Miami. Trying really hard to intern at a bb in S&T. Anybody from Miami also?...

Which Undergraduate Education option?

deadjackal

In your opinion, which do you think is better for attaining a Sales & Trading job in London and New York respectively? (Please explain your answer) London School of Economics for a BSc Econometrics and Mathematical Economics or Columbia University for a BS Operations Research: Financial Engineering...

Structured Credit vs. Prop Trading

mz2k06

I need to make a decision between two offers. Both offers are at BB banks; one is in structured credit focusing on synthetic CDOs; the other is under proprietary trading focusing primarily on the commodities sector. The names for the banks are about equal so no difference in terms of name recogni...

Wachovia S&T First Round

desecrato

From a blind resume submission on their resume, I secured a first round telephone interview. Who knew that those resumes were actually reviewed! What will I be asked? What's the culture like? Where will I be based (Charlotte or NYC)? What do they excel at? Or where could I find the answers to the...

derivatives desk

jerseyboy11

how much of a math background is necessary for derivatives structuring? how difficult is it to get a position at a derivatives desk?...

The Hottest Desk

Anonymous Monkey

Which trading desk/product is the hottest -the most stressful, choatic, and high bonus market around....

Questions for SA '07 S&T

How to save a life

I will be interviewing for a S&T Summer Analyst position in a few weeks and I was wondering what to expect. How many interviews? How long for each interview? I would like to get into credit derivatives, should I indicate that during the interview?...

Equity Desks

Ivybred800

Are equities truly dead? I feel as though Fixed Income's popularity is merely cyclical right now. For an individual exploring s&t offers at the BB's and other trading firms, would it be best to go into Fixed Income or into Equities? Discuss......

Are we seeing a vol regime change?

zhang18

VIX index has spiked and dropped. Where is it gonna settle?...

+2
Prop trading interview

fattailed

Hey everyone, I have an phone interview and math test for Belvedere Trading coming up in a few days. I just got an email about it today and have to complete everything within 3 days. I have been practicing mental math pretty frequently on Trader Test and have done some probability, market making, br...

+1
BB Sales and Trading

Jaspast06

I just started a job as a credit trader at a middle market investment bank. Solid name, but not bb. It is quite clear how much the job has changed from the last 5 years just from my understanding of this. I am curious though.. This sales and trading is a lot of fun, but since there is so little bal...

+6
Commodities Trading Internship Interview

WBdd

Hey everyone, I am a new user here so if I screw up etiquette wise please forgive me. I am a junior at UofM studying economics (econometrics and international economics mainly) and I somehow landed an interview with Morgan Stanley for a commodities trading internship. It is a 2 hour long interview...

Pages