2022 Private Equity Headhunter Coverage

Hey Monkeys,

We've been hearing rumblings of activity from headhunter contacts ahead of on-cycle recruiting for 2023 starts. Does this sound crazy, given that 2022 on-cycle just happened a few months ago? Yes. Does this surprise us, given how insane PE recruiting is? Not one bit.

We've noticed folks on here asking for info/client lists for the main HHs, and noticed there wasn't a consolidated, updated list. Knowing the client coverage for each HH is crucial for planning your strategy for intro meetings. 

Below are the actual client lists for each of the major headhunters in the private equity recruiting process, updated as of the most recent on-cycle recruiting process. Note that we've excluded some of the smaller/irrelevant names, and included notable hedge funds and crossover funds. 

As always, feel free to DM us if any questions or if you want any other info on PE recruiting!

Henkel Search Partners

In our experience, Henkel (HSP) had the most impressive client list and was very pleasant to work with. They cover many of the largest and most prestigious firms, and you should definitely make an effort to get along with them.

CPI

CPI is another top headhunter with great clients. Note that they'll probably ask you paper LBO questions or give you a small case study in your intro meeting with them, which no other headhunter does from our knowledge. 

Ratio Advisors

If you're interested in tech and VC/growth investing, you need to speak with Ratio. Very impressive roster of top VC and growth firms, and some heavy-hitting buyout names. 

Amity Search Partners

Amity has some decent clients and a lot of smaller names that we've excluded. Pleasant people to work with.

Dynamics Search Partners

We unfortunately don't have their full client list, but DSP covers a lot of top names both in buyout and HF clients.

Gold Coast Search Partners

Despite their name, they don't just cover west coast clients. Nice to work with and great coverage across tech.

CarterPierce

A little more under-the-radar, but they're very good to work with and have poached some good clients from other firms.  

Bellcast Partners

Mainly MM names. They are personal and collaborative, and the intro meeting was less interview-like than other HH meetings.

SG Partners

Their main legacy client is Blackstone, but besides that their coverage seems pretty sparse.

Oxbridge

Interesting mix of clients, ranging from MM buyout to Coatue. Intro meeting was friendly and collaborative.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Very helpful info. I think one important thing to note is firms might have one HH for on-cycle then use a different one for off-cycle, for a regional office, or for one of their other funds. So it might be worth your time to have intro calls with all the HH listed above rather than just the ones that have the firms you're interested in.

you can always reach out to headhunters and it's nothing like cold emailing. these people want to talk to you because they get paid when they place you somewhere. most of them have their team pages with emails available on their websites so just pick one of the associates there and shoot them an email saying you're interested in recruiting and would like to schedule an intro call.

damn kicking off before H1B process, international about to be screwed again

The PE analyst opportunities don't only pertain to small PE shops. A significant number of large institutional funds have implemented analyst programs: https://www.wallstreetoasis.com/forums/megafundumm-pe-analyst-program-d…, but they hire much fewer analysts per year (i.e. 3-4 at BX vs. ~100 at GS). Any PE analyst from a high-quality fund is viewed incredibly favorably and will receive looks both on-cycle and off-cycle. Unlike banking, usually people don't recruit unless they don't like their fund because they're going to have to rebuild goodwill and relearn processes

Does anyone know which headhunters have a large client who are focused on Energy/O&G Private equity?

DSP has a large coverage universe of Texas-based funds -- both generalist and oil and gas (Quantum, Tailwater come to mind, as well as a number of other smaller shops). SG Partners covers Blackstone Energy Partners. On the infra side, CPI has ECP, fka Energy Capital Partners and Bellcast covers Stonepeak.

Edited per below - thanks

With regards to coverage, do these staffing firms mainly support the PE business or are they all encompassing?

If I wanted to get into a credit arm of a PE firm for example or cap markets role, would that fall under their domain?

Sometimes they might cover everything, but different parts of a firm can be supported by different groups. For example, TPG Capital is covered by Gold Coast Partners, but TPG Rise is covered by HSP. But the other hand, Gold Coast covers all the funds for Thoma Bravo. This is all to say that the answer is not cut and dry. You just have to see what each person covers. 

Do HH’s have IB clients? Thinking of reaching out to them a couple months into my analyst stint to try and lateral to an EB/BB

[Comment removed by mod team]

Sadly this list is not accurate.  It's missing a ton of funds.  Some firms do not send around client lists so it's harder to know who they work with. I know BellCast works with a lot more funds that is listed here.  Likely the same for some of the others.  

Senior in college here. I have a connection through someone at Dynamic Search Partners through the same greek org, but we went to different schools. Given the weight they have on decisions, how should I reach out to them? Because I'm still in college, I'm not sure if I should reach out as a student asking for pe recruitment advice or if I'm more direct and ask to get to know each other for the future when I try to recruit for pe. Thoughts?

Updated BellCast client list:

• Bain Capital Double Impact
  • Harvest Partners
  • HGGC
  • Siris Capital (NYC, SF and FL)
  • Court Square
  • Stonepeak (NYC and Houston)
  • Wind Point
  • Bain Capital Life Sciences
  • Bain Capital RE
  • SK Capital
  • Cerberus RE
  • GIC RE
  • Hudson Advisors
  • Stellex (no longer client of Ratio)
  • Brightstar Capital Partners
  • Athyrium
  • Light Street
  • Prospect Hill Growth
  • Emerald Lake Capital Management
  • American Pacific Group
  • Declaration Growth
  • Eurazeo
  • NexPhase Capital
  • Northwood
  • Rubicon Technology Partners
  • Windrose Health Investors

Would like to point out that HSP sent out a modeling test and multiple choice test through TTS this cycle, which presumably will be true in the future.

I did the tests before actually having my HH call and got about an 80%. Not sure how much it actually mattered, but I imagine that they use that internally to guess how well you can do in interviews. HSP sent me a ton of interviews when things kicked off and I landed my job through them.

Hi all, 

I'm sorry to not be completely stick to the topic. I'm currently looking for a housing in Manhattan (roommate for 2-bedroom, up to 3.2K budget). 

Please, get connected if interested or share the relevant chat. 

Omnis distinctio dolorem enim corrupti optio repudiandae. Eligendi sint beatae et tempora. Autem unde aut fuga omnis. Maiores sunt et sit dicta itaque laboriosam. Ratione quisquam ipsam omnis et quae.

Non enim et deleniti et distinctio. Dolorum voluptatem maxime quia ea ut saepe consequatur. Consequatur soluta quia explicabo commodi sapiente assumenda. Laboriosam aspernatur minus autem quia quo a laudantium. Laudantium autem illum commodi officiis asperiores non eius laboriosam.

Voluptatem quas sed omnis eius officiis alias eos. Atque architecto velit adipisci ab aliquam sint. Natus minus doloribus harum voluptatem.

Omnis vero dicta non. Odio quidem quam amet rem et. Architecto non magni et id quibusdam reprehenderit reiciendis eius. Laboriosam deserunt est officia omnis et et blanditiis. Earum aliquam earum odio quis. Soluta quia quam sed quia ipsam occaecati est. Accusantium deserunt quis et necessitatibus modi consequatur sint.

Assumenda reprehenderit laboriosam rerum nesciunt error. Quo quia exercitationem consequuntur est deleniti. Illum minima ad sint quibusdam ea.

Dicta ut ut perspiciatis aut rerum voluptatem doloribus. Ducimus veniam quisquam laudantium unde asperiores. Et odit deleniti dolorem cumque deserunt. Itaque doloremque aut sit. Iusto enim officiis quasi eos dolorem. Sint sapiente quaerat commodi qui.

Non fugiat sed repellendus unde eos voluptate amet. Sit et veniam ratione ex repellendus. Perferendis at mollitia quod alias sed. Soluta qui itaque quia ratione id. Magni repellendus sapiente temporibus aliquid neque facere.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Private Equity

• The Riverside Company 99.5%
  • Blackstone Group 99.0%
  • Warburg Pincus 98.4%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Blackstone Group 98.9%
  • KKR (Kohlberg Kravis Roberts) 98.4%
  • Ardian 97.9%
  • Bain Capital 97.4%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Bain Capital 99.0%
  • Blackstone Group 98.4%
  • Warburg Pincus 97.9%
  • Starwood Capital Group 97.4%

Total Avg Compensation

• Principal (9) $653
  • Director/MD (22) $569
  • Vice President (92) $362
  • 3rd+ Year Associate (90) $280
  • 2nd Year Associate (205) $268
  • 1st Year Associate (387) $229
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (29) $154
  • 2nd Year Analyst (83) $134
  • 1st Year Analyst (246) $122
  • Intern/Summer Associate (32) $82
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (314) $59
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
numi's picture
numi
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”