Original poster - your 3.5 will be fine.

Greenbullets - is that your "pro-forma" gpa? If so, you might want to just put down your current one instead and not bother with estimating in case of X, Y or Z scenario. Pro-forma gpa that is materially different from your current gpa could have an adverse effect on your process if transcripts are requested prior to final grades being submitted that may or may not reflect what you have down. Do yourself a favor and stick with what you currently have.

NoTears:
Original poster - your 3.5 will be fine.

Greenbullets - is that your "pro-forma" gpa? If so, you might want to just put down your current one instead and not bother with estimating in case of X, Y or Z scenario. Pro-forma gpa that is materially different from your current gpa could have an adverse effect on your process if transcripts are requested prior to final grades being submitted that may or may not reflect what you have down. Do yourself a favor and stick with what you currently have.

I have a gpa that's a little bit higher than the 'pro forma one'. Is that bad? And I got two more semesters left. I want to get into S&T, not IB. Thank you Notears.

Greenbullets - why would you short-change yourself by putting in a lower gpa than you actually have??? You're doing more harm to yourself than you think. Put in your current gpa and if your gpa falls as you continue through school, then change as necessary (let's hope it gets revised upwards rather than downwards).

Oh no Notears, I don't do that on my resume. I put whatever I have right now... however, I will be president with a club and working part time, and I will be taking hard classes so i calucated everything and 3.15 is what came out if I have gotten those grades.

I do put on my resume my current gpa. I would never do that. what i have is already considered very low.

Disjoint:
But if you round to 3.6 they would assumed you rounded up. So they might think you had a 3.55 and rounded up. I have a 3.59, and I'll just keep it that way. But again this is just my take on the issue, and my high sense of ethics ;)

I want to work now! No, really. I want those 100+ hours/week. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

HAHAHA, I did the same thing.

hoffmag2:
dont round. just put what is on your transcript. is that .01 really worth losing a job over dishonesty?

idiot. dear god, how do you get into investment banking and not know basic algebra. seriously it is so annoying seeing this question. ROUND TO THE NEAREST TENTH. YOU ARE NOT LYING. YOU ARE NOT MORE ETHICAL IF YOU CHOOSE TO PUT HUNDREDTHS.

hey is it important to put to put your major GPA on your resume.... also suppose I did really well last semester is there anyway i can say (Spring '07-XXX) after mentioning my cumulative GPA...

Best Response

Koleon, from what I've been told, listing your major GPA is not a necessity, unless it's really good and you think it will help you out. But if your major GPA and cumulative GPA are basically the same or very close, I don't see the point. I think it looks pretty silly to put a specific semester GPA. That may also show inconsistency on your part, if one semester is really good and the others are mediocre-decent.

The 3.95+ to 4.0 is the one thing I wouldn't do when it comes to rounding. It suggests you have a perfect academic record. Other than that, it's ok. So a 3.49 can be a 3.5. Don't give the "3.95+ is not a 4.0 so no!" example as an argument for why you can't round to one decimal place. It's a different case for 4.0s.

By the way, if your school gives A+'s that are worth more than 4.0 (and your GPA happens to exceed 4.0 because of that), still put down 4.0/4.0.

If you guys are having that much trouble with figuring out rounding, why don't you start looking for jobs as a high school gym teacher. You can still tell chicks you work in P.E.

-------------- Either you sling crack rock or you got a wicked jump shot

supermagnetolaser:
Don't round big -- going from 3.855 to 3.9 might not look so good.

stop it. just stop it, you stupid faggots!!

YOU, as well as a baker's dozen other people in this shitty thread, do not work in the business.

round however the hell you want! put your major GPA instead of your cumulative if it's higher (of course, don't lie and say it is your cum).

...now, when you're filling out the specific fields on the actual application, you will have less room to tweak the numbers.

_______________________________________ http://www.drmarkklein.blogspot.com/

danbush is a XXX,

I work in the business and I do not believe in rounding. In fact, I don't believe in it enough that I will specifically hold it against someone that I am interviewing. Sure, a great candidate will still get in, but it is enough to tip the scale if I am so-so.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

what do you mean "do not believe in"? bullshit. do you believe in mathematics? if so, rounding is not lying. grow a pair and accept it. seriously, it is disgraceful to have adults here who do not understand the math of 8 year olds. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I very much understand rounding, thank you very much. There are times and places for rounding, and GPA is not one of them, in my opinion. Feel free to round, if you so desire. I warn you though, there are people out there who will look down on it. The truth is there is a material difference between a 3.65 and a 3.74, both of which round to 3.7. Heck, if I eliminate my worst semester of college altogether it boosts my GPA by .05. That is quite a significant change.

Besides, the whole idea is a joke to begin with. If you put 3.7/4.0, do you really think the recruiter isn't smart enough to figure out your "trick" and only give you credit for as much as a 3.65? You're not doing yourself any favors by rounding.

CompBanker’s Career Guidance Services: https://www.rossettiadvisors.com/

Anyone who would hold it against you for rounding a 3.49 to a 3.5 is a fucking tool that you wouldn't want to work with anyway.

Seriously, this is such a non-issue that I can't believe there is even a debate here.

You guys are reading way too much into this GPA rounding thing. Round if you want, dont if you dont. The truth is if you dont get the interview it will be because of something else besides a .05 GPA difference.

Ipsa aut ut occaecati ut. Sint consequatur id ipsum molestias laboriosam. Rem labore voluptas sit quia commodi quod. Sunt dolorum in necessitatibus ut harum occaecati. Ut et alias accusamus sed. Temporibus tempore et error quasi quis.

Dolores suscipit in doloremque suscipit. Qui officia soluta odio asperiores consequatur molestiae. Ducimus deserunt repellendus minus sunt exercitationem qui. Quia sit excepturi facere quis odio quia nulla. Placeat quaerat voluptatem sapiente. Consequuntur eum voluptatibus facilis quia non. At incidunt unde consequuntur laudantium facere quaerat praesentium.

Distinctio alias rerum autem nobis sunt fugiat. At rerum qui dolor doloremque aut quisquam occaecati.

"Perfection breeds Perfection"

Numquam rem porro harum et quae recusandae molestiae. Cum sapiente qui sint saepe. Est et consequatur eos nesciunt perspiciatis.

Doloribus vero voluptatem est placeat dolorum deserunt tempora sit. Quia aut eligendi explicabo non. Sunt facere sit ut ratione ea incidunt. Nostrum voluptas sit doloribus.

Nostrum praesentium repudiandae placeat ut at. Minus esse porro alias enim voluptatem ut. Est accusantium voluptas excepturi. Aut exercitationem voluptatibus ex illo. Et quam praesentium eos ea. Dolorem aperiam quod minima voluptatem laborum temporibus. Omnis recusandae dolorum et quos quod debitis.

Maxime architecto quas sequi cupiditate. Odio rerum porro omnis aut. Eos autem vel nostrum eius. Aperiam et sit nemo omnis qui voluptatem officiis. Molestiae consequatur sapiente autem et rem. Voluptas aliquam aperiam facere voluptates eos.

Et ratione debitis tenetur ab qui ab asperiores nulla. Consequatur non illum sunt soluta nam dolores. Recusandae temporibus sed et alias ut. Necessitatibus mollitia laudantium corporis qui voluptatem fuga mollitia est.

Accusamus aut sunt sunt corrupti magnam est. Ipsum amet deserunt modi molestias. Quae itaque ea enim exercitationem est odit soluta. Minus est ea adipisci quia. Dolor iusto et exercitationem nostrum ut ipsam. Tempore dolores sint consequatur sed ex voluptatem velit. Voluptatem sed quas ipsum dolorum iusto quisquam et dolores.

Amet iure enim molestias et quis enim. Eum voluptatem vero est et.

Aut dolores voluptas corporis dolor. Odit neque temporibus nam quidem. Sunt et rem nam quis consectetur eaque. In quo et corporis deserunt necessitatibus qui. Sed ipsa sunt est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”