Hi everyone, I've been reading here for awhile but I decided to take the plunge and try to get some recommendations. I'm in a real tricky, unique situation and not really sure if there actually is a solution.
I'm a history major at a non-target school and I always had planned on going to law school. I always did well in school, my is a 3.9, I have been involved in many clubs and leadership positions on campus. However, I talked with many attorneys after gradually growing more dissatisfied with the pre-law path, and they helped solidify my decision against it. Ultimately, if I could have a "do-over", I would have hands down, gunned for investment banking. I wavered back and forth the idea over the past year knowing that banking is what I truly want to do but felt I never had a shot at it given I don't go to an Ivy and I haven't taken accounting or relevant finance coursework. However, I feel that I'm basically doomed right now. I confirmed my decision on this career path very late in college. I'm going to be a senior next year and I'm in no way shape or form competitive for full time recruiting season. I have been pounding the pavement, hitting the phones, and sending out emails at all of the boutiques trying to see if there are any open spots. Most of them have already filled their spots and the few that are open, are looking for those that have experience and know accounting inside and out. I've had some people tell me to take on a double major but I'd probably be here an extra 1.5-2 years.
I don't really know what to do at this point. I've called most target schools about transferring but I have too many credits and so, I wouldn't be able to transfer unfortunately. I feel like it would be silly just to go to law school because it feels like I have basically no other option out there given my major and being from a non-target. Some people have suggested I gun for T14 and then get an MBA and can go into the PE or route, but from what I've been reading here on WSO, it seems that my non-target undergrad would come back to haunt me in terms of employment if I went the PE or route, is that correct? Also, I've read that some have advised against pursuing a JD if the goal is to go into IB PE or HFs, MFs. The odds seem pretty stacked against me so I don't know what to do at this point. My career adviser has recommended doing my school's MSF program but we are a non-target so I'm not sure if that would be a smart move. Also, if it helps at all, I'm a female. As of right now, my plan is to just keep pressing on with the cold emailing/calling Monday, but it's quite a tricky situation I'm in.
UPDATE: I was able to land a MM S&T Summer Analyst position (think, , , ). Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to press on. I was losing hope. Now, should figure out what I can do to possibly switch to IB, since that was my main dream? Or would that show a lack of commitment? I am not familiar with lateraling and switching. I'll also be at an MM. I'm interested in PE, HFs, and fund of funds in the long term since I'm female (and would like to have children someday) so I'm not sure if I could do banking hours for the rest of my life. I've heard exit options are limited for S&T and I've always felt I was a better fit for IB. In any case, I'm very thankful I am somewhat back in the game, it was looking very dark.