CFA® December 2018 Results

How did everyone do?

Background:
Undergrad - Finance and Economics - State School
Grad School - MSF - Semi Target
Investment Analyst @ Asset Management Firm

Scores:
>70 - Alternative Investments and Derivatives, Ethics, Quantitative Methods
70>x>50 - Corporate Finance, Equity Investments, Fixed Income, Portfolio Management
50> - Economics, Financial Reporting & Analysis

Barely passed (FR&A was my almost downfall). Focused almost entirely on the practice questions provided by the CFA® A Institute. Definitely would recommend reading. Signed up on the last day so only had about 50 days to prep. Will definitely be spending more time on level 2 in June as there is zero chance of passing based on my level 1 practice.

Let's hear them!

Passed > 90th. Bottom of confidence interval close to the 90th percentile line. 90+Percentile: Corp Finance, Econ, Equity, Ethics, FRA, Portfolio Mgmt, Quant 70+ : Alternatives and Fixed Income

Background: Still undergraduate, doing Econ & Maths 3rd year.

Direct quote from a former boss: "I would think long and hard about pursuing it" (I had been thinking about it for five years).

Another quote of his: "CFA is a waste of time" (He failed level II 3 times)

Passed barely

Background - Just a minor in Econ, no relevant background

I beasted Fixed Income and Alt & Derives which is solely why I passed.

Thank goodness I did not skimp on the low weighted sections. I am still not sure how I passed that I actually squealed out loud at work when I got the email.

Everything depends on your background, obviously the well known amount of time is 300 hours.

I probably put in 200 hours, but I also have accounting and finance degrees and work in alternatives. I honestly could have put in 100 hours on just ethics and quant and got the MPS.

I just used the CFAI material and Mark Meldrum for very specific trouble spots.

Passed (the entire confidence interval was above the minimum passing score, but not by much).

Background: - Finance major - non-target

Results: - Alternative Investments (~67%) - Corporate Finance (appears to be 100%) - Economics (JUST above the 70% line) - Equity (above 90th percentile, but only equates to ~75%) - Ethics (just above the 70% line) (ethical adjustment?) - Fixed Income (~37% ish) (skipped studying here due to lack of time, thought my work exp would make up for it, apparently not haha) - FRA (~67%) - Portfolio Mgmt (~71%) - Quant (47%)

Recommendation to others if short on time: SCHWESER!!!!

There is more than one way to get there. I'd rather have 30 chapters than 3000 pages.

Couple of questions i have about Schweser:

1. Do you think it's too late to sign up for Level 1 prep now for the June 2019 exam?
  2. Did you do online or in-person?
  3. Which "Review" workshop did you do...I'm in Dallas and it looks like they have the 5-day one here, so I'm considering that.

1. Why would it be too late? Unless you've already covered the majority of the material w/o the prep, then it is not too late.
  2. Online. An in-person course may keep you more on track, but a online self-study guide is perfect if you have other things going on in your life.
  3. The schweser books should be enough. I only got the secret sauce because I was EXTREMELY short on time (and only used it for the econ section, which helped me get the 70% required in that section). Qbank is helpful too if you have the time to do them/money to afford them.

Good luck!!

There is more than one way to get there. I'd rather have 30 chapters than 3000 pages.

Most Helpful

It is not so much how much time do you have till your exam.... It's about the amount of hours you dedicate to studying.

If you are strong in finance you can reasonably cover the schweser material in 60-80 hours and have a good enough handle to pass level I (I assume levels II & III would require significantly more time).

If you are strong in finance and are attempting to cover the CFA material instead, it might seriously take you 80 hours just to READ the material. More realistically it would take you close to 100-125 hours to feel comfortable with just the CFA provided material.

Obviously it is different for every person, and will likely take significantly longer if your finance foundation isn't as strong.

Essentially what I am trying to say is that the Level I material is very basic, don't waste 125 hours reading every single word of the material. Spend $300 or whatever it is on Schweser and enjoy more of your life. But up to you! If you are short on money I understand!

I am taking a year and going for 2020. I am a slow pace, can't study for ten hours kind of person. I'd rather do 2 hours a day for 9 months than ten hour weekends so going for 2020. However, I am so BORED right now. Gosh, what did I do prior to studying? I am cleaning out of boredom and rearranging my stuff...

On another note, why tf did early registration close in October for level 2 in June 2019? That's two months before December 2018 candidates even took the exam.

It almost makes more sense now that we have less time to study for the hardest level in June just to wait until next year.

I pay out of pocket obviously.

I get coughing up fees sucks..... But come on man, if $300 is enough to make you postpone completing the exams for an additional whole year, than why are you even taking the exams in the first place.

Are we not all trying to pass these exams to advance our careers? And in turn make more money? $300 shouldn't slow you down.

Scores: 70: alt, CF, equity, PM 70-50: Econ, ethics, fra, quant 50: FI Result: Passed

Honestly I got extremely lucky. Due to recruiting during the semester I didn’t have time to study until Thanksgiving break, so I put in maybe 30 hours. For the younger monkeys on here thinking of taking CFA, start early; a lot of the material is the same thing you learn in class, so it will be fresh in your mind. You are allowed to take it as soon as you qualify as a senior, so get L1 over with.

Qui quisquam nam aperiam aut laboriosam et reiciendis. Ab voluptatibus quam tenetur a modi nesciunt saepe enim. Dolores omnis commodi animi sequi.

Praesentium in exercitationem aut nobis dolores. Tempora tempore sed optio ut ullam officia. Voluptatum velit omnis laboriosam voluptatem nesciunt architecto suscipit. Dolores omnis voluptate dolor doloremque.

Quis porro aliquid eius. Quo eveniet magnam voluptatem sunt fugit totam blanditiis. Nihil id excepturi ut sed impedit neque omnis.

Et aliquam voluptatum veritatis deserunt ut quia corporis. Ut et aliquam eos pariatur non doloremque reiciendis placeat. Deserunt pariatur sit est corrupti nostrum sed voluptatum vitae. Et debitis repellendus voluptatem quis. Suscipit voluptatibus voluptatem illo rerum. Illo quis pariatur ut doloribus eveniet accusamus.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”