London SA 2019???

Hello everyone,
with interviews being accelerated in the US I was wondering how the situation is looking in London. Are the SA / FT applications going to open around the same time they traditionally do?

turtles:
You'd have to be allowed to work in the UK
Not true. I applied from Germany and had two telephonic first interviews as well as interviews with the local teams in Frankfurt. For the second round interviews they invited me to London and in all cases they paid for the flight ( or gave me a reimbursement form), but not any other expenses, for some people I knew they paid for their train from Paris. I met with the teams and had interviews with 4-6 people. Depending on the company they can sponsor the visa for the summer internship. Good luck.
Valor is of no service, chance rules all, and the bravest often fall by the hands of cowards. - Tacitus Dr. Nick Riviera: Hey, don't worry. You don't have to make up stories here. Save that for court!

Why should you fly to NYC when you're actually in Europe for a role in London???

Generally everything can be done by phone/video in the closest office to your living place. Final rounds will be in London, and of course they will fly you in if they are really interested in you.

You even could try to get in for this summer/autumn as there's much lateral/off-cycle recruiting going on right now. Of course, to pull it off your CV should be bankified enough as of now.

DonMunich:
You even could try to get in for this summer/autumn as there's much lateral/off-cycle recruiting going on right now. Of course, to pull it off your CV should be bankified enough as of now.

Really? I know here in the US everything is pretty much done and dusted for summer SAs in Feb./March. I'm only currently a sophomore but I got a non-paid gig at a private equity group and I got a interview with a Middle Market IB next week.

I hope to get a SA position next summer in London if that is possible. Is it unheard of for 20 year old American college kids getting into analyst programs for IBs in London? What is the best way I can position myself for one?

I appreciate any help I can get.

Most Helpful

Ok, now things are a bit more clear to me. To your clarification: Very often you cannot even apply to all offices if this is your plan. If you're the next rockstar, NYC wouldn't have a problem to interview you per video (but I think this is very critical and won't happen). I'd stick to your EU plan. And there they will def. fly you in or at least send you to nearby offices for some video chat or like I said, phone is very often fine, too, at least in the beginning. I actually got a PE gig just by phone (reputational player) and also had 50% of my IB FTE interviews per phone. If they need and want you, they're flexible. For London I can also say that they're def. not just recruiting from their targets there. Still, most of the guys are coming from Oxbridge & Co, but you can break in also with not studying there. If you can speak German fluently it's a pretty valuable asset - pretty high demand in London for it now (and also the Frankfrut option). Don't forget we in Europe don't just have the SA track. Many banks have off-cycle positions. So generally speaking you can start nearly everywhere in July, October, January, or April.

If you're in the US right now, then u should forget about summer 2011 in London. It would just work if you're in Europe right now. They're pushing still quite hard for selective areas (for people with enough experience). So stay with your actual plans, sounds good to me.

Alright,

so this is exactly my plan. Please keep in mind I'm just an ordinary kid from a non-target hoping to leverage my internships and network into some sort of summer analyst program.

PE internship this summer (or hopefully non-paid middle market IB) Intern for a boutique in the Fall + apply to every ibank in US & UK. Study abroad business internship program in London Jan 2012 - May 2012 Summer 2012: hopefully get in somewhere as an SA.

My main question were "is the process of becoming a summer analyst/intern" at an IB in London any different then the process of applying for SA positions in the US? Answer I got from above was: no

Then I asked if I'm in London in the spring and I get interviews from NYC would I have to fly in? Answer I got was: no, everything but the final round will be done by phone or video-conferencing.

Did I get everything?

Just fyi, in Europe banks usually start recruiting earlier, ie you sumbit application in sept/october and they start calling you in november/december. Most of the recruiting is done before end of january.

Also 1 question

I know most BB in NYC provide housing for their summer SAs during their short 10 weeks or at least that's what I heard but do London ibanks do that as well? I figure it going to be extremely difficult finding housing for just 10 weeks not to mention affording housing in London.

I heard a lot of talk in the UK about investment banking recruitment centers, what are these and do you apply for summer SAs thru these places?

Walkio:
The recruitment process in the U.K. is very different to the U.S. You usually apply online, and are almost immediately invited to do online psychometric tests (www.shl.com or http://www.psl.com/).

It's only at this point do HR actually have a look at your application and if they like you, you get an invitation to do a telephone interview. The next stage is an assessment center.

This is neither true for Goldman Sachs,nor J.P. Morgan. The only good bank that will ask you for an online test is Morgan Stanley. Sure UBS, Barclays & co do ask you for one too, but who wants to work there?

Exactly. What Walkio mentions is the typical process. Like said before, also on-campus recruiting and networking is not that important at all. Having a strong CV and not fucking up the 20 minute online math test is essential. So I'd say don't go with recruitment centers, whatev. Apply directly and on time and you will get a shot.

What I heard of friends doing a SA in London regarding housing is, that they didn't get valuable financial support. And yes, finding a place (and the price of it) in London is a pain in the ass.

addition subtraction multiplication division percentages and if you get really unlucky a cagr, mainly interpretating gaphs/tables and calculating basic stuff.

if you cant pass the test you probably need help tieing your shoelaces in the morning and would get fired after 2 months on the job anyway.

Thanks for all really informative responses you guys!

But you guys told me that:

Recruiting at London Ibanks happen much earlier : in October/September + they interview you much earlier in November/December after you pass the PSL test > phone interview > assessment center.

What if I'm not going to be in London until January when my program starts? Are there assessment centers in the US where I can go for UK banks?

Also to triple-confirm:

When I'm in London (Jan 2011 - May 2011) and I hear back from US NYC ibanks, they will do everything over the phone right? No me physically entering ib assessment centers for US ibanks right?

Guys, I have one urgent question.

I plan to apply to some banks for internships for both their London Office and their US Office. Do banks allow you to apply for summer analyst positions at both locations?

For e.g. Barcap: I apply to their London internship program now > get no reply (aka. rejected) and then I find out I can't apply to their US program in January because I've already applied in the UK. Barcap website saids I can only apply to one position per year. I don't know if that refers to just their London office.

Any clarification?

UPDATE: guys checking the online application at these banks on their UK site most of their deadlines are all Jan. 31st even for the UK. Was it wrong information that UK deadlines were sooner than the US ones?

From my understanding you will have almost no chance unless you have UK/EU nationality along with your US nationality. This is because of Cameron's Visa quota implemented specifically on banks in the UK. They will revise the quota early next year, but last I heard HR from BB and MM have been told to focus on Europeans only. Something for you to discuss at OCR at Oxford i suppose. Good luck!

agree with the above. on top of that work visas are extremely hard to get regardless. student visas only allow 20-30 hours a week of work

"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies but not the madness of people"

I'd have to disagree on that actually.

Unless their visa states otherwise, a person who is aged 16 or over, and holds valid leave to enter or remain as a student under the student category of the Immigration Rules for 6 months or more, may undertake employment for:

• 20 hours per week during term time
  • Full time during vacation periods

Thanks for the responses. I am not surprised that they have been told to focus on Europeans only. However, if I'm not mistaken, I did speak with a banker from Evercore, and he told me that they hired 2 UVA SAs out of like 4 this past summer.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light." - DT

just reread the Tier 4 Student Visa requirements. you're right about being able to work full time during vacation, ie- for a SA position

"I can calculate the motion of heavenly bodies but not the madness of people"

Yes I agree that you could potentially work with a student Visa, however as you know they look at the SA as their potential candidate to fill FT analyst positions for the next year. Given that they presently do not have a high enough quota to give Visas to juniors (most BB and MM), they are hesitant to take on non-european SAs since they potentially won't be able to stay on as a FT analysts.

This is just what I heard from a fellow SA (Australian) from last year - take it with a grain of salt. I just recommend seeking further clarifications so you don't waste your time. i.e. depending on what HR tells you, it may help dictate whether you should focus on UK or US for your SA position.

Is this true? I was looking to apply to several SA positions in London too but when I checked on their UK sites most banks have their deadlines as 1/31/2012 which is basically the same deadline as the US banks.

Some firms are earlier like Lazard due 11/14.

Can anyone clarify? Is UK Summer Analyst recruiting really earlier than US SA recruitment?

If I go to a US school and want SA in NYC, but want to hedge my bets by applying to some London offices, you're telling me I should've already done that? I thought when applying to BBs you just submit one application with your regional preferences.

SwaGGeReR:
If I go to a US school and want SA in NYC, but want to hedge my bets by applying to some London offices, you're telling me I should've already done that? I thought when applying to BBs you just submit one application with your regional preferences.
no1 in london will recruit you from US university unless your cv is insane in which case u wudnt need to hedge

Dorian, you're not going to achieve anything if you don't do your homework ... You can find all the deadlines online , just go on the banks site ...

Or try efinancialcareers I think tey have something. I know that WallStreetCV has done a summary table for the UK SA and Graduate 2012 deadlines: http://wallstreetcv.com/usefullinks.html

this should tell you what you have missed and what is left... but hurry the deadlines are coming ...

Tell me something I don't know...

Nice !! Thanks for the link GordoGekkon ! How did you find this WallstreetCV site ? It seems pretty new and interesting... hope these guys add more useful stuff ! Yeah it seems the deadlines are coming soon :((

Kiss kiss bang bang

Maximus Decimus Meridius:
I know people are already in final rounds at GS, although they haven't started them. This is Securities, not IBD though.

I heard a lot of people have been contacted for securities as well, but do you have any idea for IBD?

I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. See my Blog & AMA

MrLondon:
IBD: No hiring for GS, BX is finished, ML dont know

for BX, does the recruitment season started earlier in London than other regions say Asia? It really sounds very early to me for the PE shops to start recruitment events at the time being.

London is the financial capital of the world, apply to fucking everything and see what comes back.

I am going to call my kids Ctrl, Alt and Delete. That way if something is going wrong I can beat them all at once.

lol this is funny. Unless you go to the Ivy Leagues you won't find anything. They're very skeptical unless otherwise respected institutions come their way. They're like that to the rest of the world too, by the way.

anamerican

Nemo natus quaerat aperiam blanditiis itaque est. Suscipit necessitatibus suscipit non saepe eos odit. Ut voluptatibus quia ut ullam.

Rerum laudantium quia necessitatibus assumenda quae fugit. Recusandae qui sunt occaecati et. Reprehenderit illo et sed eos.

Et nulla amet possimus ipsum fugit. Nulla fuga vel sit ea. Mollitia est distinctio ut voluptas aut fugiat doloribus. Expedita ad ipsum deleniti odit. Vitae est in nesciunt ut accusamus harum non. Quos neque occaecati error excepturi.

Est placeat non iusto quod quibusdam. Ut beatae a saepe neque nihil a ratione. Velit rerum itaque ducimus perferendis nostrum.

Earum est sed reprehenderit praesentium quo quas vel. Voluptatibus qui veritatis impedit. Qui voluptas pariatur dolores amet quia mollitia.

Fugit ex officiis cum dolore. Officiis expedita illum dolorem impedit. Qui aliquid et totam.

Labore nesciunt dolor eveniet at quas possimus. Culpa et vero vel qui. Praesentium laborum nihil eos ex ipsa optio.

Sapiente consectetur dolores et consequatur deserunt cum corporis. Rem odio est qui exercitationem accusamus. Optio expedita soluta provident expedita enim molestiae incidunt.

Vero autem dolores consequuntur illo iste nostrum commodi. Occaecati dolor corrupti eius minus quo. Assumenda voluptates dignissimos error voluptatem odio vero. Non dolorem quo voluptatibus dignissimos. Voluptas consequatur ab ut consequatur.

Quo inventore iure dolores et doloremque rerum. Inventore unde deleniti fugiat porro. Labore ad nam voluptatum facere eos illo.

Cumque ut sunt fugiat voluptas voluptatum. Iste minus ea dolorem mollitia est.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”