Stephens SA 2021

Didn't see a thread here for Stephens so starting it now. Heard that phone screens have been going out, any advice on how to best prepare?

WSO Elite Modeling Package

• 6 courses to mastery: Excel, Financial Statement, LBO, M&A, Valuation and DCF
  • Elite instructors from top BB investment banks and private equity megafunds
  • Includes Company DB + Video Library Access (1 year)

Comments (158)

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Aug 10, 2020 - 9:43pm

Did anyone finish the phone screen for FT and heard back? Was wondering what the timeline was looking for that.

Learn More

300+ video lessons across 6 modeling courses taught by elite practitioners at the top investment banks and private equity funds -- Excel Modeling -- Financial Statement Modeling -- M&A Modeling -- LBO Modeling -- DCF and Valuation Modeling -- ALL INCLUDED + 2 Huge Bonuses.

Learn more
  • Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 11, 2020 - 8:40pm

Screen is fairly simple. Walk through resume, why IB, why Stephens, can you describe investment banking. Hardest question I got was briefly ways you could value a company.

• Prospect in Other
Aug 15, 2020 - 2:19pm

My screen was insanely technical. Started with talking about my background and a little bit of small talk and went right into the technicals.

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Aug 15, 2020 - 4:53pm

Gnarly. My first screen was pretty technical but they were really easy. Second interview had some technicals but I could tell they really care about the culture and put more weight on that.

I didn't get 100% of the technicals right in my second interview but I'm moving to the third round sometime in the next couple of weeks.

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Aug 11, 2020 - 3:16pm

Whats your situation? Waiting for phone screen results?

Edit: Nevermind, confused with another thread

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Aug 11, 2020 - 5:41pm

For FT or SA? And which office?

And was the SD invite right after the phone screen?

Aug 11, 2020 - 10:54pm

Anyone have any insight on Stephens in general? What are they know for? Do they have good deal flow? That sort of thing

Array
  • Prospect in 
Aug 18, 2020 - 9:45am

Sure, it wasn't actually a 2nd round. I found out after doing it. There is a total of 4 rounds. ( 2 first round interviews - not actual interviews ) -> 2nd round -> super day.

Aug 17, 2020 - 2:52pm

8/10 was my first round, 8/13 a second analyst reached out (but haven't done an interview with him, oddly), 8/16 a third analyst reached out and had an interview with him today.

First interview was all behavioral, second was majority technical (although they were all pretty basic) with a few qualitative.

Aug 19, 2020 - 8:55pm

How was the third interview? technical? behavior? mix? 

Array

• Prospect in IB-M&A
Aug 19, 2020 - 4:30pm

I got the walk me through your resume and 2 technicals the first was about WACC I admitted I didn't know it and would learn it the second I did a DCF walkthrough and was told that it sounds right. He said that's all I have for you and have a good day pretty much and hung up.... thinking that it's GG for me.

Aug 19, 2020 - 9:03pm

Had 2 interviews so far. One last week one this week. The first one was mix of behavior and basic technicals. The second one was heavily technical, covering question on accounting, valuations, and outside of the guide questions. Anyone know any insights regarding the recruiting timeline? 

Array

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Aug 19, 2020 - 9:24pm

Did you get a third round. And for what office? And any other info on the process you got from your interviewer on next steps?

Aug 24, 2020 - 3:14pm

NY. No update for 3rd round. The interviewer was quiet unsure regarding the next step. He said the firm would get back to me within a week or two. 

Array

• Intern in IB - Gen
Aug 19, 2020 - 11:49pm

Any idea on FT timeline? Have had screens with associate but wondering if anyone has heard much on next steps after that phase.

Aug 21, 2020 - 1:43pm

No updates regarding third call/ interview. The interviewer I had for my second round mentioned I would likely hear back within a weeks time-- this was on 8/16. I'm thinking they will likely be reaching out next week.

• Prospect in IB - Ind
Aug 21, 2020 - 1:52pm

Was this for NY? And what did the interviewer ask you in the third call if you don't mind sharing?

Aug 24, 2020 - 2:02am

Update: Just had another analyst reach out for a third round that will take place Monday or Tuesday. The pace seems to be about 1 interview per week at this point. I'm hoping these phone screens will be over soon so we can get to the Superdays.

(This is for SA, NY office)

Aug 24, 2020 - 12:42pm

As I'm sure many are studying for technical interviews, you can have your Alexa or Google Home quiz you. I recently added some free IB accounting and valuation quizzes that you can use and add to at Grillme https://grillme.dev/. Video of it:

. Hope this is helpful!
  • Prospect in IB-M&A
Sep 2, 2020 - 9:53am

I've had 4; had one last week. Heard back for a 5th one coming up in the next week or so. 

• Prospect in Other
Sep 3, 2020 - 4:17pm

To be very frank, I've never even heard of Stephens until it was on my school portal

• Analyst 1 in IB-M&A
Sep 14, 2020 - 5:24pm

I had a phone screen with them while ago.
Accepted another job but they definitively already had 1st round. 

Start Discussion

Total Avg Compensation

July 2021 Investment Banking

• Director/MD (9) $911
  • Vice President (36) $363
  • Associates (210) $232
  • 2nd Year Analyst (121) $152
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (28) $146
  • Intern/Summer Associate (102) $144
  • 1st Year Analyst (449) $132
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (357) $82