Take Bank Offer or Wait for Target Final Interview? - Decision Due Tomorrow!

A bank called with a job offer as credit risk analyst. Comp is not the best pay considering living expenses for a condo in the area. I'm in the Philippines so banking careers here don't make it rain as much as US (but still has good pay)

Then there's this Energy Company with an urgent financial analyst position. I like the job, company, and management. No definite comp but the salary range is DOUBLE the other company.

Passed 1st interview and on 2nd interview they said I did well on the financial model I created and presented for a live case. They said there's a final interview, more of a get-to-know personal interview, I'm awaiting sched.

Bank wants a final decision tom. Tues 3pm. I've already delayed it last Friday. I followed up the Energy Company on the final interview today but they'll still talk with the other interviewers for their free sched.

Should I call them tomorrow morning and be up front that I want to be in their company but there is a job offer?

I mentioned in to them in the 2nd presentation on the other job offer but I don't want to sound like I'm rushing an interview or whatnot. Between the two, the energy company is definitely a better bet for eventual IB target (IB career path is different here vs US). I want to find another job already so I worry that if I turn it down I might go back to zero again.

What would you do if you were in my shoes?

Hi Anonymous Monkey, upload your resume and land a job

Members that upload a resume get 2.3x the number of interview invites through the Talent Oasis. Learn more.

Comments (37)

Best Response
Feb 12, 2018

Sometimes you just gotta renege man

    • 4
Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Feb 12, 2018

Kindly elaborate bro? You mean turn down the bank offer? Or take it then jump ship if ever I get the other company?

Feb 12, 2018

How big is the bank? If it's small you might have to renege.

    • 1
Feb 13, 2018

Upper-mid rank in terms of size (AUM) here but the pay is, in the words of my banker friend, horrible for my experience and skills. I'm just in a tight spot right now.

Feb 13, 2018

I agree with 93and63, it won't be a huge deal when you jump. If they ask, tell them the job came out of nowhere and you can't miss this opportunity.

Feb 12, 2018

Yeah I agree take the first offer and still interview for the second.

The jobs are different industries, it's not like you're reneging a IB offer (where the community is small).

Cover your bases and accept the credit analyst role and jump if you get the one you want.

    • 1
Feb 12, 2018

Thanks for the comment man, as in I'll take the job, sign contract and all, then just move when there's a chance a few weeks/months down the line?

Feb 12, 2018

Yes, you got it, at the end of the day you have to make the best decision for you. It's not that big of a deal, credit analysts are VERY replaceable.

Feb 12, 2018

Accept the first offer and negotiate a start date that will be after the second interview process is finished up. That will be much better than starting the new job, working for one week, then leaving for the other position.

    • 1
Feb 13, 2018

I'm quite familiar with the landscape and I would say wait. If the bank is what I think it is (UBP/EWB/AUB), you're better off with the energy company (assuming FPH/AC). Happy to discuss via PM if you want more details

Learn More

7,548 questions across 469 investment banks. The WSO Investment Banking Interview Prep Course has everything you'll ever need to start your career on Wall Street. Technical, Behavioral and Networking Courses + 2 Bonus Modules. Learn more.

Feb 13, 2018

Just state it as it is. You have an offer with one firm, but you're really interested in the position at their firm as well. Is it possible to accelerate the interview process?

    • 1
Feb 13, 2018

You're thinking about turning down the most prestigious group in banking?

    • 1
Feb 13, 2018

Not that prestige is my main factor, but you're saying Goldman Tech is more prestigious than Credit Suisse Investment Banking Division?

Feb 13, 2018

How do you get an offer from Goldman Tech if you can't answer that question yourself?

    • 1
Feb 13, 2018

@DoWellByDoingGood when did you have your first round for CS and when did you hear back about superday?

    • 1
Feb 13, 2018

Let's clear something up here: GS technology department or GS tech banking?

    • 1
Feb 13, 2018
SirTradesaLot:

Let's clear something up here: GS technology department or GS tech banking?

Ah fuck, totally slipped my mind

Feb 13, 2018

@wallstreetmusic Goldman Tech superday was a few weeks ago and I got the offer a few days after. Credit Suisse is for Singapore office, so all of the interviews have been and will be by phone. CS HR already told me they want to schedule the next round of interviews "right after new years."

Feb 13, 2018

I think he means Technology Department, so basically its BO

Feb 13, 2018

@SirTradesaLot Ohhh yes that is confusing! It is for the Technology division (not the investment banking division). Investment Banking division focused on tech companies would be my top choice if I had it, but I'm not being picky at this point.

Feb 13, 2018

Just get an answer from CS asap. People should be back tomorrow. You can tell them you have other offers that are pressuring your for a decision, if you need to. Most likely, people just weren't in the office last week.

Feb 13, 2018

Agreed but I just made it past first round. It'll take some time, even if telling them about the offer speeds things up. There is still second and third round to go. (Goldman wants an answer by close of business).

I was hoping y'all could give me some advice on how much I should divulge to Goldman to get extra time.

Feb 13, 2018

Ok, I didn't get that. You're going to have to figure out how much you want to roll the dice. You can ask them for more time, but they'll probably say no or give you a week or two. (you can just say something like, "I have opportunities in wildly different areas, so the choice is not just GS vs. another firm, but entirely different career paths, so I want to make sure I am considering all angles. Can I have some more time please?")

If this is for a summer position, I'd roll the dice with CS if you run out of time. If this is for full time, it's more difficult and your call. If you are sure you will not want to take the IT job, you can just tell them you are more interested in IBD and can ask if they hook you up with that dep't. Very risky though, as there is a good chance they won't and you could lose your current offer. But, if you don't care and are going to reject it anyway, then what do you have to lose? That doesn't sound like your state of mind though.

Feb 13, 2018

I would still be honored by a GS Tech positon -- not a bad job for a graduating undergrad. However, any bulge-bracket IBD would be way better, and Credit Suisse has a great reputation and culture from what I've heard.

Feb 13, 2018

@SirTradesaLot thanks for the advice :). These are for full-time positions, so the decision is important for me. I did internships in a number of other fields before, and definitely would like an IBD role as my next challenge.

Feb 13, 2018

Ah, I was going to say... A GS TMT candidate would know what to do in this situation. Definitely, and modestly push back the GS acceptance decision date.

Feb 13, 2018

intra-industry reneging is generally looked down upon, although i think youre in a bit of a better situation since the firms are in different countries. honestly you most likely wouldnt have to worry about boutiques calling up asian BB offices letting them know about you reneging on an offer.

if you just have an offer, but have not actually signed anything or let them know that you would be accepting the offer, then there should be absolutely nothing to worry about. If you have formally accepted an offer, then there might be something to worry about, but if you haven't then you should be fine.

Feb 13, 2018

Ask him to fast track you and if it doesn't work out - take the boutique offer, stay in touch and reach out to him towards the end of summer for FT.

Feb 13, 2018

Inform him of your exploding offers via email, it's the only thing to do. Firms will generally push the accelerator on candidates who are already dealing with other offers. Worst comes to worst, you stay with the best boutique you can for the summer and stay in contact with the guy for later opportunities after you get the SA under your belt. Best case, the guy likes you a bit, pushes you through the process, you get the BB offer.

Feb 13, 2018

thanks guys

Feb 13, 2018

ok...so what if I sign the offer from no-name boutique in US. and accept offer from a Big 4 TAS in Asia (I'm trying to get into the region fyi). How do I go about letting no-name know that I'm not goign to work over the summer? should I troll and say death in family or injury or soemthing? I'm not a good troll

Feb 13, 2018

please help

Feb 13, 2018