what's the best comparison of Union Square to another bank in the sf area for tech?

Idk just based off their transaction history maybe like Qatalyst's younger sister. Which is really good.

seems like the deals are no where near the size though. maybe top mm player? assuming you would take GS/MS/Q and the other EBs over them any day, but could be wrong

Have a first round in a week, do you have any advice on it / how did it go and what were the technicals like?

West Coast Semi-Target candidate FYI

Most Helpful

Very strong in the tech space if that's what you want, lot's of ex-BB leadership, smart people all around and above street comp.

Generally, some of the hardest and most techincal interviews you can have. Will stress some interest in tech for SAs but primarily will focus on a very deep understanding of valuation/accounting. Brain teasers expected

I think you're being very generous here. Most boutiques are formed by people who have years of experience in BBs and EBs. This is nothing special about USA. Moreover, as others noted below, USA goes for upper-middle class talent. They're not able to consistently recruit from top schools like Wharton, Harvard, Stanford, Cal, etc. Their name is known in the Bay Area, but if you go to New York or anywhere else, not so much. Their deal flow has improved but still stuck in the MM range. They rarely work on massive deals like some of the stand-out boutiques in SF.

Which stand-out boutiques are you referring to? A quick linkedin search brings up 2 Cal, 3 UCLA, and 3 Vandy alum at USA just to name a few. I don't think those school are necessarily the "top of the top" but they're pretty good for west coast banking. If you check Qatalyst, they don't have any Harvard alumni at all.

Array

How many "first rounds" have others in the process had? Two analysts have reached out so far, not sure how many more I should be expecting.

Lol if you're doing well prepare to get used to it. You're going to have people reaching out every few days or so as you progress. So to answer your question technically 6-8 "first rounds"

I had 2 analyst calls seperately as part of a "first round" followed by a more structured first round organized by HR with a few bankers. That was about 2 weeks ago and haven't heard back since...do you think I'm still in the process or did I get ghosted

I would've taken usa, but they really dragged the process (approx. 7 weeks). Started in early-march and ended in late-April. By the time they gave me an offer, I had offers waiting for me from other firms. I think they should reconsider their process. Not sure how many solid candidates r willing to do endless phone screens for a mediocre shop.

what was the time between your first round and when you heard for final round?

Process here is a bit ridiculous. You want to toss me in an room/zoom call and interview me for 6-7 hours straight? Sure, go ahead. You want to spread it out over months? Sorry, already hate it here so just gonna sign at the places that wrap up their process in 2 weeks.

Just know that there will be many more phone screens if you move on. Also, they start interviewing in march, so they could be wrapping up soon (although based on what's been shared above it seems like there are a few seats open)

USA has very few analysts with most of them not being from “top schools”. Personally, I don’t obsess about school prestige but firms usually do... Can someone explain why USA isn’t filled with “top” undergrads? Especially since I’ve mostly heard good things about them (in terms of reputation and exit opps)

Is it worth even applying for USA at this point. Networked with a couple analysts just didn't know that there recruiting already began. I mean the application is due August 30 on my handshake lol

Ya couple of people from my school just had interviews. Bunch of guys turned down offers so they're still recruiting

Ullam a quo aspernatur enim eos molestiae molestias hic. Qui aut et voluptates accusamus a voluptatem fugit neque. Cupiditate harum officiis fuga et voluptate.

Voluptatem quisquam et soluta porro et sequi aperiam. Ea rerum doloribus animi laborum eveniet impedit. Itaque dicta nobis qui repudiandae perferendis. Molestiae aut aut facilis odio debitis soluta atque.

Vitae id iste excepturi sequi pariatur. Quibusdam dignissimos voluptatum excepturi dolor. Sint porro est qui qui. Laborum temporibus adipisci quia sed soluta. Tempora sapiente laudantium maxime sint doloremque autem. Corporis autem ipsam consequuntur odit assumenda est. Nihil minus adipisci corrupti molestiae doloremque ut.

Praesentium nisi suscipit eaque totam. Qui consequatur corrupti est qui est quibusdam quis.

Est ipsum consequatur perspiciatis asperiores quo. Dolor architecto vitae tenetur perferendis aperiam. Omnis neque quidem excepturi velit. Fugiat eius consequuntur et dicta sunt temporibus.

Eius deleniti tempore enim est. Cum qui ad nisi expedita consequatur. Eum fugit quo rerum quia. Et beatae eos labore voluptatem officia libero aut.

Delectus deserunt accusamus consequatur esse qui minima rem. Quisquam odio veniam in et ut. Amet ipsum soluta ab necessitatibus. Quia quisquam itaque ut corporis. Ipsa suscipit omnis id.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
Linda Abraham's picture
Linda Abraham
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”