U.S. 4Q 2009 M&A League Table

Source: http://online.thomsonreuters.com/DealsIntelligenc…

Finally 4th Q came out. I will post U.S. first since my boutique and many others do not have an international presence, but will list the world after.

United States M&A

1. Morgan Stanley
  2. Goldman Sachs
  3. BAML
  4. Citi
  5. JP Morgan
  6. Barclays
  7. Evercore
  8. Lazard
  9. Greenhill
  10. Deutsche
  11. Rothschild
  12. Wells Fargo
  13. UBS
  14. Blackstone
  15. Credit Suisse

Other notable U.S. Players:

PWP: 21
Centerview: 22
Jefferies: 24
HLHZ: 25

Are you retarded? BAML has been killing it. Commercial and Investment Bank giants are the wave of the future. Look at where UBS and CS have been the past year, barely top 15-top 20; pathetic.

Grats to jefferies, that piece of shit actually made top 25 for once.

1styearBanker:
Are you retarded? BAML has been killing it. Commercial and Investment Bank giants are the wave of the future. Look at where UBS and CS have been the past year, barely top 15-top 20; pathetic.

Grats to jefferies, that piece of shit actually made top 25 for once.

Could you provide more insight into how the integration has been going?

BAML is a pile of monkey shit, and you know it. Come on you work there, but it doesn't give you the right to be a propaganda machine. I worked on a deal with BAML guys in the summer, and we couldn't get a word in cross-ways, it felt like working with state school kids. This "used car salesman" tactics might float in the US, but in the UK that looked really lowlife. Even the client was cringing.

Actually, to be fair (and I'm sure that BAML does have some good guys somewhere, but they certainly weren't on that deal team), my MD told me that they were on the deal simply because they provided cheap financing, so credit where credit is due, it seems that BAML play their size card really well.

__________ Just my 2c.

boutiquebank4life:
A yearly synopsis would be good too, but I merely wanted to remark on the most recent data of 4Q. Also, target/complete > announced.

already got home (not a banker haha) to too lazy to pull out bberg anywhere.

will post the 2009 M&A completed deal tomorrow.

btw, foros group made it quite far this year. watch out for them! quite a rising star i'd say.

The above league tables were from all of 2009. They were completed deals of Worldwide and US. I think its more appropriate to look at completed deals since announced deals fall through all the time.

Runningcitylikediddy: Commercial banking has nothing to do with M&A. The investment banking division of BAML is actually smaller than that of GS and MS. Once you throw in capital markets, then it might be bigger. Back when there used to be standalone investment banks, GS was the biggest followed by MS, ML, then LEH. BAML is roughly the size that ML was prior to integration. They kept the best 70% of ML and the best 30% of BofA. Given all the shit that Citi has been through, I'm actually impressed that they're still competing at this level. I expected them to drop much like UBS did. So the idea that they're under performing is untrue. By that logic, JPM is also under performing which we all know is also untrue.

Hungry: As someone who has worked at ML as a sophomore then went back to BAML as a junior, I'll tell you first hand it's blown out of proportion. Initially yes, there was a lot of fear and uncertainty with the integration but its largely subsided. Keep in mind that the bankers started sitting on the same floors in April/May. Montag has done an excellent job thus far in unifying the firm. Obviously it wasn't particularly smooth but if you were to ask JPM or Bear people about their integration, they'd tell you the same thing. If BAML pays on par or above the street bonuses in the next month, and they've indicated they'll pay on par with JPM and MS, then everything will be just fine going forward.

Agree with all that was said above, I think it is also important to look at the deal count as a measure of consistency. Looking at firms like Evercore (had a blockbuster year as mentioned above) completed only 27 deals this year and is ranked 6th, meanwhile companies like BofA consistently closes over a hundred deals a year. It could be that Evercore had an exceptional 2009, given what all the banks were going through, getting some of the bigger clients that would of traditionally went to the larger firms.

1. announced is useless, look at completed
  2. worldwide is useless, since world is skewed towards asia for 2009. so either look at united states or look at asia depending on what location you are working in. all other region tables are worthless.
  3. foros group blows, i never heard of that crap, what is it, top 100? lol

1styearBanker:
1. announced is useless, look at completed 2. worldwide is useless, since world is skewed towards asia for 2009. so either look at united states or look at asia depending on what location you are working in. all other region tables are worthless. 3. foros group blows, i never heard of that crap, what is it, top 100? lol

almost $7bn of deal pipeline for a firm with a few months of history. i think it's quite neat.

http://www.forosgroup.com/transactions.php

Looking at regional tables is important, but there are deals where team cross-regionality does happen. For example, you are based in the UK and your firm is advising an American client buying a UK firm. Then even though the US team will dominate the deal, the UK team might get drafted in for a small role because they might know the region better/take over code/the industry in the region and the company. But the above is just a rough example.

So it's also important just how well your firm does in your industry, because you might work at MS but if you are at a poor (dealflow wise) MS team then that's not great.

__________ Just my 2c.

^ 1) I used an example. Learn the difference. 2) You missed my point compeletely. 3) "Good" is relative and open to interpretations. 4) Are you trolling on purpose or because you have no friends at the office and have to vent your anger and insecurities on here?

__________ Just my 2c.

hungry:
Almost 80% of their entire dealflow is IMS (still pending). Foros advised the Board on the transaction, while DB advised the Company. Guess which bank the Foros CEO just jumped ship from only a month before the transaction was announced?

in situations like this, would db get a larger portion of the fee than foros? how does the split work?

Yes, special committee or advising the board kind of assignments have a lower fee. DB would also be getting a retainer for a period leading up to the transaction if they had a medium to long term relation with the company. Since many BBs have prior relations and are usually retained even in cases where a transaction could take several years , new boutiques find such assignments reasonably lucrative.

Lorican: Stop your BAML bashing and stick to discussing firms you actually know about.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB100014240527487048549045746448222244235…

1st year banker: While BAML has been doing well, it's not quite the greatest thing since sliced bread you're making it out to be. There are definitely some improvements in the firm to be made.

Foros has potential. But it's too early to judge.

And my point is, if you care about Asia then look at the Asia tables. Most of care about the U.S. ones. No need to do worldwide when I'll never step foot in Asia in my entire life.

Untilted: Gtfo. You're a trader. Go back to your own forums, you know nothing about what bankers care about and your stupid image is wrong in many areas, such as picking announced and using bloomberg rather than Thomson Reuters. Get back to your boiler room and let the big boys worry about banking.

1styearBanker:
And my point is, if you care about Asia then look at the Asia tables. Most of care about the U.S. ones. No need to do worldwide when I'll never step foot in Asia in my entire life.

Untilted: Gtfo. You're a trader. Go back to your own forums, you know nothing about what bankers care about and your stupid image is wrong in many areas, such as picking announced and using bloomberg rather than Thomson Reuters. Get back to your boiler room and let the big boys worry about banking.

It doesn't hurt to be nice, you know...

This forum is created so the uneducated can learn.

why so hostile...

not sure why analysts care about league tables anyway

most of the top 10 there is not much difference in just looking at league tables

it depends what group you are in

################################################# I am the Man. I Have the Plan. Follow Me to the Promised Land.

BBMMBoutique:
not sure why analysts care about league tables anyway

most of the top 10 there is not much difference in just looking at league tables

it depends what group you are in

It's hard to rank coverage groups since there's a gray area of where an industry belongs, but there are Equity and Debt league tables as well, anyone have the info for that for U.S.?

league tables are the best way to see how much deal flow a BB or elite boutique is getting, even if the top 10 doesn't change much. It can also correlate with bonuses, like for example BAML did well so they are announcing paying good bonuses.

Ut ad aut autem. Repellat at qui molestiae porro nihil sapiente repellat quo. Ut voluptas dolorum natus ut.

Soluta quae ab saepe sed eos veniam a. Omnis voluptas voluptatum possimus molestias reiciendis. Eaque magnam recusandae sit odio ducimus ea. Delectus sed error nemo sit voluptatem fuga ut. Vel quo quod architecto sequi qui. Quae vero voluptas sapiente qui pariatur iure.

Sit quam facere atque neque facilis omnis dolorum. Quis sed commodi natus quas. Ex nam sit et qui. Est fugit voluptatem vitae voluptatibus consequuntur. Possimus dolores beatae nemo optio.

Qui accusamus nulla non. Expedita blanditiis earum eum distinctio.

Qui sed sunt assumenda debitis magnam. Veritatis neque quisquam omnis blanditiis culpa. Repellat assumenda distinctio ut cum aut. Veniam reiciendis nihil error suscipit. Et est sint hic rerum non.

Dolore quam quia et consectetur doloribus atque magni. Qui impedit ipsa molestias a. Minima magnam qui commodi beatae sit aut asperiores aut. Blanditiis voluptatem sint eos et quis dolores cupiditate. Doloribus qui eum culpa adipisci qui corrupti possimus quidem. Alias laborum veritatis ad perspiciatis nobis voluptatem.

Aut laborum aut architecto amet. Omnis vel repellat accusamus ducimus dolor. Expedita neque eos cum dolore. Sed vel voluptatem et nostrum quisquam.

Career Advancement Opportunities

March 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. (++) 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (13) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (202) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (144) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
Jamoldo's picture
Jamoldo
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”