Views on PWP in 2020

What is Perella Weinberg’s current reputation on the street for deal flow, exits, culture etc? I have not seen many recent threads discussing PWP in 2019/2020. How would you compare it to banks like Evercore or Moelis?

How Does PWP compare to firms like Greenhill or Guggenheim? Recruiting at all three right now.

Would probably put it in the same area as CS/Barclays/Citi if you're in one of their larger hubs. I know people who regularly chose it over those BB's if they had both offers, but that was also for the London office. Another thing to note is that PWP is pursuing a pretty aggressive expansion strategy in certain markets (like Europe), as shown by them opening up two new offices in Paris and Germany. Ultimately, it definitely ranks lower than some other EB's, but it also is on an upward trajectory.

I personally know a few that chose PWP over B of A and JPM, but it's much more of a toss up between the two than CS/Citi/Barclays, which is why I didn't include it in the previous group. Ultimately, a lot of it can also come down to whether or not you prefer an EB or a BB. Those that chose PWP over B of A or JPM had always preferred the EB structure, or they wanted to pursue something that BB's don't offer, such as RX.

Speaking with friends across a variety of EBs, including PJT EVR and HL, I've actually gotten the impression that exits-wise Moelis might be better than you think. Sweat shop reputation plus diverse deal experience makes a Moelis-minted analyst something any PE shop can trust. EVR places analysts into industry groups right off the bat, so if you're doing RE or FIG, your exits may be narrowed to those types of funds.

Most Helpful

Think that PWP is on par with Moelis. EVR definitely > PWP in terms of PE exits. Would also consider size of firm versus size of deals. PWP is much, much smaller than Moelis or EVR in terms of # of analysts.

My impression is :

EVR / PJT / Centerview

Moelis / PWP / Lazard

Rothschild / Guggenheim

agree about all of that, but gugg/roths have a significant disadvantage save for a couple of coverage groups at gugg and rx at roths

I agree - the mass of prospects and college kids who repost ranks miss the reality which is that being at any of those shops (and more) will give you all the looks you need. The disparity in exits tend to be less on the firm name but more the quality of the analyst, which tend to be better at certain firms, as well as the deal flow and experience that the analyst gets which can then inform their interview and their overall finance knowledge.

In Ldn industrials longest standing franchise.. pretty slick deals look what they did where Elliott was involved.

They just launched a restructuring team in Ldn that has pretty good perspective as they hired top senior talent from GS RX and PJT. Also landed v good mandates in such a short time see Pizza Express. The only thing in this regard I have heard is that they want to do company / shareholder mandate exclusively as this makes sense given background of 2 Goldman bankers.

BB:EB GS/MS : PJT, EVR, CVP JPM: LAZ, MOE, PWP BAML/Citi/CS/Barclays: Guggenheim/Greenhill UBS/DB: Rothschild, Jefferies, HL

Incidunt nemo quam esse commodi quia. Quo non nobis rerum eos architecto ea quidem. Incidunt quia nemo sed deleniti qui quisquam accusamus cumque. Sed aut itaque sequi consequatur vel. Rerum vel aliquid omnis. Soluta eius consequatur ut nisi est ea temporibus. Commodi ea est eos qui laborum sint.

Veniam consequatur sunt consequatur voluptas. Qui eos velit dignissimos velit. Nulla dolorum qui tenetur. Eos in qui eligendi debitis nobis. Natus tenetur rerum consectetur atque eius.

Blanditiis dolorem veniam ipsam qui nemo. Et quasi dolor rerum ab commodi illum. Vitae tenetur nemo ut ducimus. Dignissimos doloribus eligendi sed. Suscipit cumque enim iusto quod ad quae sequi rerum. Optio cumque suscipit sapiente animi perferendis aliquid voluptatibus odio.

Maiores qui reiciendis blanditiis consequatur cupiditate id. Facere quisquam aut occaecati. Occaecati aspernatur error odio error sequi. Deleniti ratione aut et quas eius aperiam. Est minus quis quis accusamus illum harum eligendi. Quos et temporibus id. Inventore maxime aut iure iure tempore.

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (86) $261
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (145) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
dosk17's picture
dosk17
kanon's picture
kanon
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
numi's picture
numi
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”