You are talking about riot. I’m short small. You can’t short now no borrow. I flipped 60% of my short because well these things are risky and made a few bucks.

I got small short will hopefully cover at $0-5

DeepLearning:
This is exactly what I have been thinking. SB'd. I don't know if it will become totally worthless but the efficiency provided by institutional investors will wreck the current value.

This is what I don't understand--if Bitcoin values are "inefficient" then what should the price of a Bitcoin be? What multiple, for example, should Bitcoin trade at? "What do you mean by 'what multiple'?" you say. "What a stupid question." Exactly. Bitcoin has the same value as a fine art--a painting might have $10 in material and $50 million in value. Bitcoin has no intrinsic value so it trades at whatever people are willing to buy it for.

The "inefficiencies" I see in Bitcoin are the fact that different trading platforms could have price points for Bitcoin that are $1,000 or more different from one another. If the instutitions could find a way to bridge those gaps then the price of Bitcoin could be standardized, more or less, across platforms.

Array

I agree on certain parts in your argument. First, I don't think Bitcoin will become "worthless" when Bitcoin Futures are opened in CME and CBOE. NASDAQ is planning to have Bitcoin price ticker in 2018.

It is true that 99% of Bitcoin transactions are by individuals not institutions. If institutions lay a hand on Bitcoin exchange sites like GDAX, which the New York Stock Exchange invested in, it'll create a whole new trading game for Bitcoin volatility.

When Silk Road was using Bitcoin for payment in the dark web, it was a "fuck you" to the government so they can't track payments for illegal drugs being bought and sold. I think the recent hypes were created because people got rich off of Bitcoin, not because most of us see it as a anti-capitalist tool.

There are many famous and intelligent people both supporting and rejecting Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. Unless the U.S. government sets up strict digital asset compliance rules, this highly unregulated market is going to thrive.

We always tend to overestimate what happens in one year while underestimating what happens in 5-10 years. I feel as though Bitcoin going to "crash" by Dec 18, 2017 is quite an overstatement.

I think the point is that a lot of the current optimism in the market right now is about bitcoin being used for non-nefarious reasons. That doesn't seem like it will be happening. Online retailers have little to no incentive to accept bitcoin, especially since it is so volatile. And if it becomes less volatile? Well, then it's way less intriguing to speculators trying to make a quick buck.

Sure bitcoin will continue to thrive in the unregulated market but the current price is valuing future mainstream adoption, which I don't think is going to occur. If/when people realize this, the price will drop to the correct value.

Great discussion. But with futures contracts being traded, doesn't this become a viable alternative/medium of exchange for companies? Isn't there already ways to accept bitcoin and immediately turn that into fiat USD without having to take on that volatility risk?

Why does Overstock.com accept bitcoins if there is no incentive? What if Amazon starts accepting it?

What is your opinion of the correct value? I think that is really the hardest thing to measure since there is no underlying asset or FCF asset. The utility is in the network effects that bitcoin enjoys since it was basically the first to market that is reaching wider adoption. That is not a minor point.

As far as being a medium of exchange, it's more a hedge against inflation/store of wealth as I see it, but this rapid run-up may actually be bad for it in the short term. May we crash ~50-80% in the short-term, absolutely! But is there a lot of value to Bitcoin, the technology and cryptos in general? I would argue yes.

I agree that this supposed crash is going to be similar to when Amazon crashed in 2001, a minor blimp in an overwhelming trend upward. At the moment though, I personally think Bitcoin is a ticking time bomb, and when it goes off, a lot of investors are going to lose faith in the crypto space, at least in the short-term.

My advice is to invest in cryptos that have a real-world use case, and are actually objectively providing value. I'm not convinced there will be a crash, but I know that my money is, relatively speaking, a lot more safe in these types of cryptos, since they existed as successful companies before implementing crypto currencies to add value and innovate.

Walton, for example, is revolutionizing the supply chain logistics space, has partnerships with numerous businesses, who are going to implement their chain in order to track items, implement a cheaper and better alternative to mainstream logistic solutions, automate their retail stores, and store and track data. Similar companies in the RFID space are worth roughly $5 billion dollars, so the market cap has tons of room to grow, especially with so many subsidiary companies that have pledged to use their technology, and with the explicit support of the Chinese government.

MOD, as another example, is partnering with pharmaceutical companies to do away with expensive refrigerated trucks and employees who report data, and expensive logistic services, and using their working hardware tested by the University of Zurich, which will save the pharmaceutical industry 60% in shipping and logistics per year. MOD is using block chain technology to anonymously, more accurately, and more cheaply report data.

I would suggest adding IOTA in your altcoin list. All the money in the cryptocurrency world is all-eyes-on-Bitcoin with it reaching ATH every hour. Once it corrects or drops, which it led to GDAX crashing few hours ago, people are going to panic sell Bitcoin again and move their money back into altcoins.

Bitcoin only has brand value and popularity since it's the talk of the town. But once people realize there are better coins out there, Bitcoin will drop in value .

Yeah, I have to admit that it is disappointing to look at any 3-month chart, and see that we would have all been better off in terms of BTC if we just invested in BTC. But I definitely agree with you that Bitcoin just has the brand. Also, I would look into XRB. It's a completely fee-less crypto currency with nearly instant transactions, with some comparisons to IOTA.

what?! bitcoin is like amazon...you my friend have been drinking the kool-aid. amazon, while overvalued, is a consumer commerce & logistics company with real assets, real sales, real cash flows, land, facilities, technologies, etc. bitcoin is a currency, don't forget that. a currency only has value because people agree it has value (since we're off the gold standard). amazon and other equities have value because those shares of ownership are legal claims on profits, cash flows, property, dividends, etc.

don't confuse this for a stock, it is not. that doesn't mean bitcoin will crash (I think it will, but not before it rockets to the moon and crushes short sellers), but that does mean your analogy is incorrect and misinformed.

Ok but the USD has value more than just because "people agree it has value". The US is, well..., the US. It has real assets, real tax income, institutions, military, etc. I do not agree with the idea that simply because we are off the gold standard, currency values are solely based in widespread belief. Bitcoin, however, truly is only backed by belief.

thebrofessor:
what?! bitcoin is like amazon...you my friend have been drinking the kool-aid. amazon, while overvalued, is a consumer commerce & logistics company with real assets, real sales, real cash flows, land, facilities, technologies, etc. bitcoin is a currency, don't forget that. a currency only has value because people agree it has value (since we're off the gold standard). amazon and other equities have value because those shares of ownership are legal claims on profits, cash flows, property, dividends, etc.

don't confuse this for a stock, it is not. that doesn't mean bitcoin will crash (I think it will, but not before it rockets to the moon and crushes short sellers), but that does mean your analogy is incorrect and misinformed.

Why does gold have value? Because we all agree it does....

SmartThinker:

My advice is to invest in cryptos that have a real-world use case, and are actually objectively providing value. I'm not convinced there will be a crash, but I know that my money is, relatively speaking, a lot more safe in these types of cryptos, since they existed as successful companies before implementing crypto currencies to add value and innovate.

Ethereum and IOTA being great examples of this

Best Response
computerized:
If you guys are so confident, why not put your money where your mouth is and short it once the futures exchanges go live?

Because 18 year olds can't get approved for margin, and/or don't have the initial margin to trade futures.

bitcoin can't be depreciated, physically seized, is portable, divisible, decentralized. Chaos in Venezuela and Zimbabwe saw bitcoin trading in their local exchanges at a huge premium to international market, as citizens were scrambling for a store of value accessible digitally. It's digital gold with tech upside. Hard to tell applications in future of advertising (due to portability and divisibility), internet of things, virtual reality, etc. Upside is spec for sure. bitcoin is not without its downsides - energy wastefulness, susceptible to security issues in event of quantum computers, transaction fees...but these are tech problems that can be solved...a lot of developers are incentivized to innovate (and altcoins have been created to solve for these issues). I would say the mining infrastructure and developer capital working to keep the system going also has some tangible value. How do you put a value on thousands of developers working on applications? Huge warehouses of mining farms used to process transactions (i.e. mine for bitcoin) private blockchains will have use cases for sure but good analogy is public internet vs private intranet. Think of a company intranet...not many contributors building applications and infrastructure...so it sucks and is clunky. Now contrast that with public internet that has the market of developers working to add applications...same situation will exist with public vs. private blockchains...you cant beat an incentivized free market of contributors...

More Leverage:
computerized:
If you guys are so confident, why not put your money where your mouth is and short it once the futures exchanges go live?

The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent.

Exactly. This was the whole premise of The Big Short--Christian Bale's character (Michael Burry) was right about the housing market's inflated value but his timing was (at least somewhat) off and he kept getting crushed by margin calls.

Array

There is a difference between not seeing the long term intrinsic value for an asset and day trading/market timing when you think an ultimate decline may occur.

It's also an incredibly volatile asset that you shouldn't be trading as a substantial portion of your portfolio, one way or the other - investing isn't just about willingness to take risk, it's about ability. Having just finished business school, ability isn't that high right now haha.

I'm not sure how institutional money being able to buy BTC lowers the value. The value has moved up lock step with the number of users (granted it has gotten way ahead of itself). I don't think hedge funds are invested in BTC. Maybe the hedge fund managers themselves in their PA but from a legal standpoint I don't think it is currently possible due to know your customer laws, etc. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I agree with what other people have mentioned about altcoins though. I have some IOTA and plan to buy some more because BTC has to pull back at some point. It's fucking crazy right now.

"Give me a fucking beer", Anonymous Genius

big price swings come from a couple different things, both of which I think are happening to bitcoin currently:

1. wide bid/ask spread
  2. lopsided buy/sell orders

you can have huge upside/downside vol if you have too many buyers/sellers (respectively), and it's apparent to me that basically everyone is just hitting the bid on bitcoin, driving its price higher and higher.

a wide bid/ask spread goes in tandem with lopsided supply/demand. one of the precursors to massive adoption by investors is tight spreads. people want to know if they buy something they can get out of it at roughly the same price if they get their trade off quickly. with bitcoin, you don't have this assurance. it was 16k yesterday, it was down $2400 at 6am today, and now it's back up. that is not how currency is supposed to trade.

I don't know that inst'l money entering via futures (and hopefully forwards) will lower the value, but it should narrow the spread. this is what arbitrage tries to do, take advantage of wonky spreads. if this happens, hopefully vol will calm down

Bitcoin is flourishing because of the first to market fallacy. Novice crypto investors think that BTC is the one because it gets all the talk. I agree with a lot that was said on this thread, but I see Dec. 18th the end of what I would call the CC rally.

1) BTC will fall. 2) We will see a rise in alt coins that have value - i.e. Eth, XRP, Lumens, Iota, etc. 3) Digital currency will come out of the woodworks in countries with low physical cash flow 4) I will never get the returns I once got from CC's

What I don't know is, 5) Will early adopters of CC move away from CC with a huge influx of mainstream attention (I.e. central bank backed digital currency, Cross Border payment digital coins, digital currency, ICO platforms, etc.) or is this just the beginning?

I haven't been around long enough to personally experience many bubbles, but I know from reading about past ones that every stock has it's ceiling price after which it's drastically overvalued and people want liquidity. To that effect, stocks carry potential energy just like a rock, if you throw a rock up in the air (depending on the velocity, it can go very high), but at some point in the future the price gets so high that it squeezes demand and has to come back to down to earth.

I'm not sure if the 18th will do bitcoin in, but surely at some point this (rock)etship has to come back down to earth.

"A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself."

That's a pretty profound quote and after longer contemplation it changed my thought process fairly significantly on this subject. You present the classic difference between subjective and objective value.

Bankers love subjective value because there is no artificial ceiling on price, it is theoretically infinite depending on how much value people see in an opportunity. With objective value, the price is based off of the intrinsic economic value (assets, comps, revenues etc.); its harder to fudge objective value and easier to define the asset as "overpriced" or "Underpriced". HOWEVER, the main problem I see with Subjective value is that the value is completely in the "eye of beholder" and can be taken away instantaneously, where objective value requires the devaluation of a broader asset classes in order to lose value.

For Monet, if the market for impressionist paintings tanks the wood frame, canvass, and oil paints will still have residual value.

Food for thought: Would futures trading begin to objectify the value of bitcoin? It presents the opportunity for the market to become more developed and bitcoin to be defined as overpriced or underpriced.

"A man can convince anyone he's somebody else, but never himself."

I am just thinking out loud here.

The way I see it, and this could be completely wrong as I'm still getting grips with this stuff, is that the issue is Bitcoin has not intrinsic value. It is not linked to anything. It is just solely linked to supply and demand.

Fair enough the Fiat currencies are not pegged to the Gold standard but does the argument that they have no intrinsic value and that Bitcoin could replace Fiat Currencies hold up?

Firstly is it right to say that Fiat currencies have no intrinsic value? Doing a quick search on Investopedia you have 6 things which influence a currency: Inflation, interest rates, current-account deficit, public debt, terms of trade and political stability+ economic performance.

Depending on your decision to buy or sell a fiat currency, depends on these things. Hence your decision on whether to buy or sell is rational.

A while back I read a book by Yuval Noah Harari called "A brief history of mankind" and it says that in 1500 the global production of goods and services was about $250 billion. Today it is at around $60 trillion. The book gives the reason that before the modern era, money could only represent and convert things that actually existed in the present. This made it near impossible to finance new enterprises.

There are 1170 crypto currencies on the market. Would it not be easier to start trading with goods again? Maybe I am being very, very reductive but how is Bitcoin any different to how people bought and sold goods centuries ago where people used to trade with goods such as apples and potatoes in exchange for a cloth or meat etc... How is Bitcoin different to this? In my mind the goods have tangible value whereas bitcoins don't?

Further consider this scenario. You have a bank and a Business. The bank will readily lend a loan to the business because it can leverage up credit and it can estimate the amount it will get back with great accuracy.. The estimate is that for every $1 in a bank, banks can loan $10. But with Bitcoins how would lending work? Imagine a world where fiat currencies have been replaced with Bitcoins. The price would be too volatile as it would go up or down depending if more people had sold or bought things. The price would be in relation to how valuable people saw it in relation to goods. Why would anyone risk having something on your balance sheet which could be worthless the next morning? The bank could lend out $100 million but only be left with $20 the net morning if everyone had traded their bitcoins for goods.
Due to the irrational nature of trading bitcoins, the whole purpose of lending would cease to exist meaning no more enterprises. Modern day growth and capitalism only exist because you can lend and be reasonably sure of how much you would get back.

There will only be a fixed amount of Bitcoins in the market, wouldn't that create a race to see who can control the most creating a more unfair society?

A painting by Picasso also has no intrinsic value. Bitcoin isn't about value, it's a method of exchange. Speculators are trying to invest based on increase in exchange but that doesn't mean it will fail for it's original purpose.

Nazis used it bc Banks refused them, marijuana dealers, international travelers, countries with high inflation, etc.

The value is to access a universal unadulterated exchange. No fed bank telling you what interest rate or supply, non Chinese govt telling you how much to take to another country, no Uncle Sam requiring Swiss account data for tax avodiance.

The price will settle, who knows where, but it should stabilize and become a medium of exchange, not an investment.

If the glove don't fit, you must acquit!

I don't see an actual argument here.

Why again is bitcoin a scam and why will its value collapse? People seem to think that throwing around the word "bubble" somehow constitutes an argument.

“Elections are a futures market for stolen property”

The big issue with BTC long term as a currency is transaction times with BTC are incredibly slow compared to other currencies. Litecoin for example is lighting fast compared to BTC. At the same time we have no idea what will happen with any of this cryptocurrency. We just have to wait for futures.

The answer to your question is 1) network 2) get involved 3) beef up your resume 4) repeat -happypantsmcgee WSO is not your personal search function.

Although intended to be a currency, Bitcoin is a store of value. From a technical implementation standpoint, it is not designed to a be a currency. There are other technical implementations (XRP) that closely resemble what an actual currency would look like (Not endorsing XRP as I think it's shit, but it has technical characteristics that more closely resemble what a "crypto currency" would look like (e.g. extremely low fees, inflationary)). In the future, you'll sell your BTC for a widely accepted "crypto currency" for micro-payments and everyday transactions.

2nd what picklemonkey said about 4% control control 96% -- Bitcoin Exchanges

The futures markets that are coming out (CBOE on the 10th, CME on the 18th, NASDAQ next year) only means increased exposure for institutional and traditional investors. Approval of these future products lends credence to the SEC's future decision on a BTC ETF. This leads to improved price discovery and increased capital inflows. All of this, further cementing Bitcoin legitimacy.

Calling this the end of Bitcoin? You haven't been here long enough. I'd love to see a nice 40% correction since everyone and their dog jumped in after their 18 year old son told them to invest over Thanksgiving, but that's wishful thinking.

What you fundamentally misunderstand about cryptocurrency and blockchain tech is that you cannot have blockchain without cryptocurrency. The reason why the technology works is precisely that there are incentives with the cyrptocurrency. Without incentives, miners that affirm transactions and add blocks to the blockchain would have no reason to keep the blockchain going.

TLDR, you can't have the good aspects of blockchain tech without a cryptocurrency pair with it

I'd always say that nobody can truly predict the future of the Bitcoin and the current cryptos. But if there's one thing for sure, the blockchain technology is valuable.

Does that mean that Bitcoin has intrinsic value (i.e. due to the blockchain technology)? Well, not quite. Let's go back to basics: gold is considered to have intrinsic value because it itself has other uses such as jewelry, electronics, and even dental filings. If you are to be technical about it, gold is valuable for it's conductivity (conducting heat and electricity), malleability (can be easily molded), and ductility (turned into wires).

I have no doubt that blockchain is here to stay because you can use it for a myriad of applications such as real estate or logistics. But worst case scenario, can you use your Bitcoins per se for anything else? The same way you can melt your gold bars and coins for other uses?

Think about it from a technical perspective. I'm not a programmer, but it seems that it's less difficult to create a new blockchain altogether for non-currency usage than converting the Bitcoin blockchain (like building a new boat vs patching up an old, hole-riddled one).

And not to mention the sheer "replicability" of the Bitcoin and the whimsicality of network effects that currently supports the Bitcoin! What do I mean?

For replicability, look at the forks, Bitcoin forking to create Bitcoin cash, and there's a second one looming. For all you know Bitcoin cash could outperform Bitcoin in the long run (if at all) because of better technical capacity. But then again, there could be BCH 2.0 and BCH 3.0 and so on. So where does it end? It's like the federal reserve introducing a new dollar the moment the current one is no longer sustainable. Like Greenback 2.0 and Greenback 3.0. Well, central banks do issue new notes but they demonetize the old ones maintaining only one form of legal tender.

As for the network effects, they might last a while, but they'll move on to a new one eventually. Remember Myspace? I was in high school when my friends were crazed over it, only to be replaced by Facebook. You might say Bitcoin has the first mover advantage, but what if there's a second mover advantage (lol)? The tech space has been known for ruthlessly out-innovating competitors (Think Nokia early 2000's vs now) so there's no guarantee Bitcoin will be the "gold standard" of crypto if at all.

And let's not forget: regulation. Just because the blockchain is decentralized doesn't mean that governments can't have some considerable influence over it. If you think about it, the internet is decentralized, but look at China and their censorship policy: the majority of social media sites that we enjoy are blocked there.

And there's another threat looming in the internet: Net neutrality. With net neutrality, all forms of data over the net are considered equal whether they're from Facebook or some shady-ass website. But without it, telecoms and data providers can charge you separately for data plans (which has already happened in other countries). So while governments might not entirely "kill" cryptos, they can definitely enforce restrictions. And who's to say central banks won't create their own (which seems oxymoronic) but Russia considered it!

Another possible fate of the cryptos is that it will simply be an efficient means of transferring money (not exchanging goods or storing value) like what we do in online banking. So the odds are stacked against Bitcoin being the new "global" currency.

So overall, I'd say we humans tend to predict in extremes, all doom and gloom vs frenzied pipe dreams.

On one camp there are those who glorify crypto as the ultimate savior from the banking system that "failed" us and on the other you have those who sneer and vilify it as some nerd's anti-capitalist fantasy toy.

But in reality, I think it's in the middle of somewhere. Will Bitcoin crash in Dec. 18? Perhaps not, a significant dip at most, nobody knows for sure. But eventually blockchain will become part of everyday life and we will look at it with no more familiarity than we do with the internet, television, and automobiles.

About 7 years ago I had the chance to get in on some Bitcoins but I decided to pass. The problem was they were asking for about 10K investment and I thought that was a lot of money for such an unproven currency. My analysis was sound but sometimes I wish I had bought about 100 bucks worth of bitcoin - would be worth about $400m now! Other than that, I am still very skeptical of this currency. Gold keeps falling of a cliff but this intangible asset with no other anchor for it's value keeps soaring? Hell even MBS has something, however shit it was, backing them. I think the reason why the price is going so high now has to do with the supply as OP said and that once the market concentration evens out the price corrections on the way there will be huge. For that reason I think it's beyond risky to get into it now and hold for too long as it's too expensive and could crash anytime.

"I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars, buddy. A player. Or nothing. " -GG

But to be honest, no serious investor that would have gotten in would have stayed in till now. With 10k invested you probably would have jumped ship at 100-500% of value increase. I had the exact same thing that someone told me about BTC when it was still worthless a long time ago, but if you rationally think it through it is not like you missed out considering where you would have dumped the coin.

silverace:
But to be honest, no serious investor that would have gotten in would have stayed in till now. With 10k invested you probably would have jumped ship at 100-500% of value increase. I had the exact same thing that someone told me about BTC when it was still worthless a long time ago, but if you rationally think it through it is not like you missed out considering where you would have dumped the coin.

The best thing that could have happened to someone was to have put in a few hundred bucks 7 years ago and literally forget he or she even owned it, only remembering when, like, cleaning out his desk before a move. I agree that almost no one would have stayed in all the way.

Array

First chapter of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of the Crowds, banknotes in France and John Law.

Tech development, very few had an actual understanding of what they implied, most jumped the bandwagon because that's how the crowd psychology works.

BTC will boom to 100k then bust, the tech will remain. I'm also just posting in this thread so that I can laugh at something in 6 days.

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

The self-executing "smart contracts" that some cryptos are touting actually strike me as interesting and could be a legitimate use case. Not for Bitcoin, but other cryptos like Ethereum or varations of Ethereum like ChainLink. I could see potential there to automate a lot of interest rate swap contracts and other swaps. Meaning, if 3 month LIBOR goes to X, the smart contract will pay out Y. If you're one of the counterparties and don't like that, well sucks to suck, the coins are leaving your wallet and going into the other party's wallet anyway.

Thoughts?

How I passed all the CFA Program exams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DUdnYkojtk&t=37s

This is my speculative view on BTC. My view is that the only way Bitcoin is a viable investment asset is when one can assume that transactions are actually going to be settled in it. Similar to how the DJIA or SP500 represent the total business activity in the US, Bitcoin--only when most crypto and probably most online transactions are settled in it--could similarly show the investment value of online transactions being completed using crypto.

So, in my view, this may never happen since the blockchain technology behind it will never be isolated to one company. The coin itself is the most popular, so it may be come the preferred coin, as things stand today. Still, I think a value many X's over DJIA would be nuts.

First of all, what is wrong with the date of your article. It shows 12/11/2017 but all the comments showed starting from 12/7/2017. Which implies you wrote it on 12/7/2017 but edited 12/11/2017. So my question to you is that did you omit CBOE Launch in your crash prediction?? And why has bitcoin not crashed with CBOE Launch? I think you need to understand that bitcoin is global investment and not just United States trading it. Largest % does not come from US. All hedges funds will be plus. US is just a fraction of bitcoin market. Bitcoin may have limitations today but the developers are not sleeping. They are not committed to the ongoing development works to make it better but not announcing to the world at this time. I wont say much. But on December 18th, we will be here to continue with your prediction.

bitcoin will go up forever. buy it buy buy buy. nevermind the fact it just surpassed tulips for the biggest bubble ever in history (measured by how fast it's risen in a certain time frame). just buy it here it only goes up. when my lyft driver is telling me about his investments in it and CNBC is constantly talking about it, that's definitely the time to buy. we are no where near the top....

also, as a side note responding to OP. you probably don't understand futures if you think bitcoin will end because futures can now be traded. 12/18 was incorrect date, futures went into effect Monday of this week....

twitter: @StoicTrader1 instagram: @StoicTrader1

I think the big Banks are in on this and are the cause for the meteoric rise in prices. Only when enough sheep pour their money in will the banks flip sides.

Also, I don't view Bitcoin as some anti-capitalist thing at all. I mean, the current Fiat currency system is based on a central bank that can't be audited.

Whatever Bitcoin (and other cryptos) believes itself to be, it's not a currency and it won't challenge fiat currency. It's an asset, not unlike fine art or classic cars (with the obvious exception that Bitcoin isn't tangible). It may, however, challenge fiat currencies in banana republics, such as Venezuela; then again, the barter system challenges fiat currencies in banana republics, so that's not such a huge accomplishment.

Array

Wow, based on this thread feel even more confident being long btc here. You guys are supposed to be young... yet still missing this. Obviously when you work for a major financial institution (which I'd guess most of us do), you have a vested interest in the failure of the cryptos. But the rest of the world doesn't give a fck about your vested interest...

Fair value for BTC here is somewhere between $150k and $450k. Dollar assets are massively depreciating in btc terms. Continue to avoid at your own peril.

jankynoname:
Wow, based on this thread feel even more confident being long btc here. You guys are supposed to be young... yet still missing this. Obviously when you work for a major financial institution (which I'd guess most of us do), you have a vested interest in the failure of the cryptos. But the rest of the world doesn't give a fck about your vested interest...

Fair value for BTC here is somewhere between $150k and $450k. Dollar assets are massively depreciating in btc terms. Continue to avoid at your own peril.

so delusional lmao. the fact you try to claim you know the fair value of bitcoin is hilarious. the truth is nobody knows it's fair value. the big question is when our goverment (NOT IF) intervenes, what will they do? I like the idea of cyptocurrencies and blockchain technology, but just by looking at the chart alone you would be insane to be buying here IMO. could it keep going? yes it could, but it's gone so far so fast... good luck...

just because you don't know how to value it doesn't mean it cannot be valued. There's actually a pretty straightforward and elegant way of valuing but it does require you do some do some work on the assumptions. I'd be happy to share the analysis but i guess i'm not paid to do that kind of stuff... For now just know that the assumptions required to get to current value (around $18k) are wildly conservative.

For clarity, my $150-450k target is based on 2025. I don't disagree with you that we could see some pretty nasty vol in the interim.

I hope you're right (at a $150k valuation, that would make my paltry $2,500 investment worth more than $34,000), but this is what I fail to understand--how people are making predictions or statements about fair valuations of Bitcoin. What is the underlying mechanism that would make BTC worth $50,000 or $500,000 per coin?

Array

I'm no expert after 2+ weeks of cryptocurrency trading, but if what I observe is true, basically cryptocurrency trading is almost purely momentum trading (regardless of the direction)--there's likely no deep analysis of the asset; simply people trying to buy and sell into the momentum.

One thing that's interesting is that Coinbase (I believe the largest trading platform) has a ~1 week period between buying and confirming a purchase. In the short-run, this appears to me to help the momentum trading when prices are going up--because new investors can't sell. So that probably helps prices maintain lift as people who might sell in 1 day see their prices increase 20-50% in a week and decide that maybe it's not such a bad asset to hold after all.

I'm also going to presume that the vast majority of cryptocurrency investors have invested small sums (like, less than $5,000) and may be willing to hold for the long term to realize many multiples on their return. Investing $5,000 and receiving a 15% return is pretty much worthless. People are hoping that $5,000 turns to $500,000. That may help BTC (and others) prevent seeing a total collapse.

Array

It seems that the driver of these cryptos, at least for the major ones (BTC, ETH, LTC) is demand. It's simple as people spreading the word about these crypto investments, installing the coinbase app, then dumping some money into them. People just trying to ride the wave and not regret causing the prices to surge. Nothing wrong with that, just the volatility is unpredictable. We'll see how things go..

18th Dec, nothing happened.

Run kids, run.

I even went to check the BTC futures on CME, dead boring day, awful instrument, with huge lots. Future traders will stay the fuck away from it. It's not compatible with most strategies. It's extremely high risk, requires huge margins. Fuck that.

Never discuss with idiots, first they drag you at their level, then they beat you with experience.

this thread should be closed honestly. OP was saying the end of bitcoin was here because futures could be traded and provided the wrong date futures went live. It was clear OP really had no idea what he was talking about. then edited his original post. ya this thread should be closed...

I suspect it will collapse, only to recover again sometime in 2018 and go higher. These collapses are why the people who could have bought in 2010 or 2009, in their heart of hearts, know that they never would have held their investment through the ups and downs so they really didn't miss out on what it SEEMS like they missed out on.

Array

Well, it's crashing today. 4 days later than the wild shot. He should have stuck to his prediction.

Minus ipsum voluptatem quidem sunt repellat cumque architecto illum. Dolorum sint ut a velit eos neque non.

Qui sint praesentium explicabo repellendus qui corporis. Libero nisi voluptas quae quia. Ipsam ullam blanditiis dolorem et a quo nam eos. Vel veritatis voluptatibus sapiente id dignissimos natus. Consequatur quo autem dignissimos maxime. Maxime deleniti accusantium praesentium.

Mollitia ut consequatur ad praesentium hic illum eaque repudiandae. Animi et dolor ea impedit impedit temporibus.

Molestias doloribus quaerat fugit. Necessitatibus quam incidunt tempora culpa ut nemo. Qui eaque harum nam ab. Voluptatem enim nihil et distinctio. Possimus ut possimus et et minus reprehenderit. Voluptas aut autem enim minus maiores.

Rerum sapiente adipisci perspiciatis quis quasi enim ut. Minus saepe necessitatibus earum. Ratione consectetur ut beatae ut facere nihil. Et veniam quasi architecto dolorem tenetur. Autem voluptatem dolores dolorem.

Provident odit recusandae saepe et et laborum quod. Reiciendis molestiae omnis non et qui recusandae. Deserunt voluptas consectetur asperiores. Recusandae doloremque enim excepturi.

Consectetur quod et nihil aut odio odit. Qui ratione minima consequatur eligendi aliquam possimus. Mollitia fugit vel cupiditate similique molestiae eum tenetur.

Veritatis odio perferendis at ut quis voluptas id possimus. Perferendis nihil maxime non aliquid facilis similique. Voluptas at et iusto vero. Officiis consequatur eaque exercitationem eveniet a. Commodi est ea fugiat animi. Dolorem non consectetur nesciunt minima. Non ut dolorum et necessitatibus voluptatem voluptatem fugiat.

Commodi eos sequi quisquam qui nemo quia cum. Placeat perferendis est aut rerum. Laudantium cum corporis est iure.

Possimus minus in qui tenetur quaerat. Ea est qui quae sunt. Ut qui eos vero quis placeat quidem tenetur.

Eligendi eaque ab veritatis est neque quia quaerat. Est maiores tempora soluta et. Rem iusto voluptatem voluptas. Perferendis blanditiis ut in adipisci. Inventore vel qui ad aperiam tenetur repellat. Voluptatem placeat mollitia velit reiciendis. Distinctio eum laudantium velit rerum iure.

[Comment removed by mod team]

Career Advancement Opportunities

April 2024 Investment Banking

• Jefferies & Company 02 99.4%
  • Goldman Sachs 19 98.8%
  • Harris Williams & Co. New 98.3%
  • Lazard Freres 02 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 03 97.1%

Overall Employee Satisfaction

• Harris Williams & Co. 18 99.4%
  • JPMorgan Chase 10 98.8%
  • Lazard Freres 05 98.3%
  • Morgan Stanley 07 97.7%
  • William Blair 03 97.1%

Professional Growth Opportunities

• Lazard Freres 01 99.4%
  • Jefferies & Company 02 98.8%
  • Goldman Sachs 17 98.3%
  • Moelis & Company 07 97.7%
  • JPMorgan Chase 05 97.1%

Total Avg Compensation

• Director/MD (5) $648
  • Vice President (19) $385
  • Associates (87) $260
  • 3rd+ Year Analyst (14) $181
  • Intern/Summer Associate (33) $170
  • 2nd Year Analyst (66) $168
  • 1st Year Analyst (205) $159
  • Intern/Summer Analyst (146) $101
notes
16 IB Interviews Notes

“... there’s no excuse to not take advantage of the resources out there available to you. Best value for your $ are the...”

Leaderboard

redever's picture
redever
BankonBanking's picture
BankonBanking
Betsy Massar's picture
Betsy Massar
Secyh62's picture
Secyh62
kanon's picture
kanon
dosk17's picture
dosk17
CompBanker's picture
CompBanker
GameTheory's picture
GameTheory
bolo up's picture
bolo up
DrApeman's picture
DrApeman
success
From 10 rejections to 1 dream investment banking internship

“... I believe it was the single biggest reason why I ended up with an offer...”